Replies

• prettygirlhoward
    prettygirlhoward Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    If you can only go to the gym 3x/week, I would do stregnth training. Like everyone else said, you can do cardio at home. Also, you can do some cardio with your weights. I know that my husband does not allow much time between sets...so that gets his HR up.
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Both are great but if you have to choose one to do at the gym, hit the strength training. Lift heavy and to the point of failure. You can always squeeze in other stuff at home, including cardio.
  • bloodguilt
    bloodguilt Posts: 126
    Options
    Strength training!!!! If you are only able to get in 3 workouts/week, I would recommend taking a look at Stronglifts 5x5. Great starting program that will help you target all areas. www.stronglifts.com There is also an app that will help you track your workouts.

Agree to this suggestion. In fact, I am on week 4 SL5x5 program now. So far I am enjoying it though I revised it with some isolation work and added Tabata Protocol on non workout days. The result is just phenomenal.
    About your question on strength training and cardiovascular, I suggest you do both but on separate time of the day, say you do strength in the morning and cardio in the afternoon or before dinner or you can specify a strength training day and cardio training day like what I am currently doing. Hope this helps. :-)
  • krissers9
    krissers9 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    If you do strength training with little to no rest between sets and different strength moves, you will increase your heart rate, making it effective cardio as well. Think step ups, with weights, and between sets, do arm strengthening moves with free weights :)
  • nsimportant
    nsimportant Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Strength training .You can always make a caloric deficit on rest days with lower food consumption :P
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options

This is an area in which there's a lot of disagreement, but I've read that strength training, while extremely good for you, has had its metabolism-boosting effects exaggerated. Not that many more calories are burned because of muscle, and the effect declines rapidly after exercise.

Actually, you're incorrect.... ther afterburn is much longer & higher after weight training than after cardio.

I've seen it for myself, I wear a KiFit (UK bodyMedia Fit) and after doing a 40 minute ChaLean Extreme weight lifting session (total burn = 150 - 190), my body will burn 5 calories per minute for the following 3-4 hours

But after a Turbo Fire session (total burn = 450 - 600) my body will only burn calories at a higher rate (reducing from 10 cals per min) for 45 mins - 1 hour

My normal cal burn per minute is usually 1.8 - 2.3

The numbers don't lie....