My Vow

hasiangirl
hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
I promise to never go back to the lifestyle i was living...my poor 3 yr old pretty much ate take out, mcdonalds, burger king, and KFC from the age of 1 until the age of2...he would barely touch it and i would wonder why...now looking back on it, little children seem to have this innate sense of what is good and what is bad for them....i think after the first week of having junk constantly he didnt feel good therefore just chose to eat small small small amounts of the food...now he eats tons of food all of which is home cooked and healthy....I look back and realize how much of an irresponsible parent i was....When i had him i was just turning 19 and was very immature...I went from never needing to keep a place super clean because it was just me....then when i had him i had no idea what to do..i didnt know about routines or even how to keep a place clean...i knew how to cook and just chose not to....he was always awake past midnight and some nights was even awake until 3 am:noway: :noway: i am vowing never to ut my child/children through this lifestyle again...it's amazing how a few years can change your whole outlook on life and also your maturity levels...I gave him all my love but wasnt giving his little body what it needed... (and please no one get offended by this next statement, i am not super religious or anything, but its the only thing that makes sense to me) thankfully God mustve been looking out for him because all that junk and bad habits can really hurt a child .....I know this sounds horrible and it is horrible and i feel bad for putting him through this, but i was a child learning how to raise a child with no idea of what i was doing and now that i'm learning as i go routines are set in place along with healthy living ......so once again i vow neverrrrrr to do this to my children ever ever ever again

Replies

• Good for you! It's awesome when we keep growing, keep learning, and try to do the best we can with the knowledge we've acquired thus far. What a great thing to teach your child that when you learn better, you change and do better and live the best life you can live starting immediately! That's awesome! :flowerforyou:
  • we are all learning and just remember to be kind to yourself. it is so lucky that we are able to change!
  • Bella151
    Bella151 Posts: 123
    I am super proud of you! Goodness knows I am still learning how to be a mom in general, let alone a good one. Your experiences have helped you learn, and reading your post, it has opened up my eyes to some of the things i am doing too ( not the junk food thing, because she is only 6 months, but the sleeping thing, yes, I need to change that). Thank you for posting this!!!!
  • KristyO
    KristyO Posts: 126
    GOOD FOR YOU. I live in New York where everyone walks everywhere and bad habits are on display for everyone to see (no hiding in the drive thru) and I can't tell you how many young mothers I see giving their kids all the crap you mentioned. I feel really sad for those kids because I know they will have problems and I also feel that probably their parents won't change :frown:

But you have decided to change, and that is TERRIFIC. Keep up the good work!
  • JessiJean
    JessiJean Posts: 1,207 Member
    Thank God for the changes you've made! There are many parents that just don't realize how detrimental fast food is! I totally agree with you on the maturity levels as well. I am so grateful that God waited to bless me with my daughter. At 24, I am just now mature enough to handle the responsibility! :noway: I can't imagine what my life had been like if I had a baby that young like I was trying to :blushing:
  • barbarella
    barbarella Posts: 609 Member
    BRAVO Girl!!!!!! :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou:

Thanks for posting this declaration. So young & so smart ya are!
    It's so awesome when we can learn from our past errors.

We're all born with that innate wisdom your son has.
    Too bad we lose much of it because of the world we live in! :noway: :grumble:

ROCK ON SUPERSTAR!!! :bigsmile:
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    I am so happy that you were able to realize what was happening. I am so proud of the choices you are making! It's hard, I have 2 little ones and it's super hard not to run to McDonalds after a hard days work (I still take them more often than I should)! So congrats to you!
    You're inspiration! :flowerforyou: Thanks for the encouragment in not taking them to Mickey D's this week!~
  • hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    Thank God for the changes you've made! There are many parents that just don't realize how detrimental fast food is! I totally agree with you on the maturity levels as well. I am so grateful that God waited to bless me with my daughter. At 24, I am just now mature enough to handle the responsibility! :noway: I can't imagine what my life had been like if I had a baby that young like I was trying to :blushing:
    deffinately..that food is horrible and probably rots the insides....and im lucky where my son didnt get addicted to the fast foods...he would rather eat fruits and veggies and his favorite meats are plain chicken, pork and steak...i wish i had waited till i was older, but only if my kids could come out exactly how they are now lol...i had my second son when i was 22 turning 23 and he has neveeeeer gone through the stuff my older son went through...at one month he was in bed by 5:30-6:00 woke up once at like 2:30 for a feeding and change went back to bed until 5:30-6:00 and ate at normal regulated times...and now he eats like a piggy lol but its all good foods...the other morning he ate a whole banana and then had rice ceral and 8oz of formula :noway: :noway: and he's only 9months old lol..... but now he goes to bed at 7:00pm and my older son goes to bed at 8:00-9:00 at the latest....

thank u all for listening and understanding...I was just thinking today and felt sooooooo bad for doing all that stuff....i still feel guilty about it even though my son has been eating good for over a year... sometimes i should just get over the past and realize its all part of growing up and learning but its suchhhhh a bad thing to do to a child
  • MyKids04
    MyKids04 Posts: 178 Member
    There was a time in my life that I worked crazy hours and depended on fast food to feed my daughter. Now that I am married with 4 kids my husband does most of the cooking and he is great at making sure we have a healthy diet. And I did not take it away completely because two times a month we do get the kids a happy meal from mc donalds but its nice to see they don't ask for it and when they have veggies on their plate they eat it. And its all about teaching them the balance in everything. So good for you.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    I promise to never go back to the lifestyle i was living...my poor 3 yr old pretty much ate take out, mcdonalds, burger king, and KFC from the age of 1 until the age of2...he would barely touch it and i would wonder why...now looking back on it, little children seem to have this innate sense of what is good and what is bad for them....i think after the first week of having junk constantly he didnt feel good therefore just chose to eat small small small amounts of the food...now he eats tons of food all of which is home cooked and healthy....I look back and realize how much of an irresponsible parent i was....When i had him i was just turning 19 and was very immature...I went from never needing to keep a place super clean because it was just me....then when i had him i had no idea what to do..i didnt know about routines or even how to keep a place clean...i knew how to cook and just chose not to....he was always awake past midnight and some nights was even awake until 3 am:noway: :noway: i am vowing never to ut my child/children through this lifestyle again...it's amazing how a few years can change your whole outlook on life and also your maturity levels...I gave him all my love but wasnt giving his little body what it needed... (and please no one get offended by this next statement, i am not super religious or anything, but its the only thing that makes sense to me) thankfully God mustve been looking out for him because all that junk and bad habits can really hurt a child .....I know this sounds horrible and it is horrible and i feel bad for putting him through this, but i was a child learning how to raise a child with no idea of what i was doing and now that i'm learning as i go routines are set in place along with healthy living ......so once again i vow neverrrrrr to do this to my children ever ever ever again

I am so proud of you! We are doing this for more than just ourselves - but it starts with us!
  • rachi20024
    rachi20024 Posts: 229 Member
    I'm right there with you! Before I met my husband I was a single mom and made some piss poor decisions. I loaded my daughter with junk, smoked around her and had her up into the wee hours of the morning due to my own selfishness. Never again will I expose her to bad foods,enviroment,or sleep deprivation. Feels good to be a better parent and to KNOW what your doing is right!:drinker:
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Kids are really resilient. He wont' even remember those times. Don't be condemned by that time, just remember what it was like and move forward.

Look how much has changed in 2 years, and you are still a young person. You are always so kind and sweet on these boards. I'm sure you're like that in all areas of your life.

You've done a great thing, for yourself and your child. Celebrate that!
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Good for you for wanting to be a better mom. I see so many parents (often older than you) who go to fast food restaurants and feed their kids (a lot of times toddlers and younger!) french fries and hamburgers. Starting a healthy lifestyle really opens your eyes to the kind of food you feed yourself and your kids doesn't it? Your children are so lucky to have you for a mom. God bless you and keep up the good work. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    deffinately..that food is horrible and probably rots the insides....and im lucky where my son didnt get addicted to the fast foods...he would rather eat fruits and veggies and his favorite meats are plain chicken, pork and steak...i wish i had waited till i was older, but only if my kids could come out exactly how they are now lol...i had my second son when i was 22 turning 23 and he has neveeeeer gone through the stuff my older son went through...at one month he was in bed by 5:30-6:00 woke up once at like 2:30 for a feeding and change went back to bed until 5:30-6:00 and ate at normal regulated times...and now he eats like a piggy lol but its all good foods...the other morning he ate a whole banana and then had rice ceral and 8oz of formula :noway: :noway: and he's only 9months old lol..... but now he goes to bed at 7:00pm and my older son goes to bed at 8:00-9:00 at the latest....

thank u all for listening and understanding...I was just thinking today and felt sooooooo bad for doing all that stuff....i still feel guilty about it even though my son has been eating good for over a year... sometimes i should just get over the past and realize its all part of growing up and learning but its suchhhhh a bad thing to do to a child

Don't feel bad. As parents, we all make mistakes. Sometimes I wonder how my poor kids survived to adulthood. :laugh: :laugh: It sounds like you're being a great mom. You're kids are going to do just fine. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    You are so brave. It takes a lot to put yourself out there like this and let other people place judgments on your choices. :flowerforyou:
    I know how hard it is to cook a healthy meal after a long day. Good for you for knowing what you needed to do and doing it. Your kids will understand someday and be so happy they have a mom who can put pride to the side and make healthy choices for them.
    We are all learning, no matter what age we are. Keep up the great work.

228826.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Calculator
This discussion has been closed.