exercise for bad back!

Options
So I have had some problems with my back lately and am going to Physical Therapy but I am really sick of my mommy belly! I want to know if there are any safe ways to ditch the gut fast and not hurt my back more in the process!

Replies

• mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Nothing fast about weight loss. Sorry. SLow & steady wins the race. BUT....crunches are good, if your back can handle it. Bicycle crunches are even better. Talk to your PT about what you can do within the realms of your therapy. Best wishes!!
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I herniated a disc after my last baby and have been PLAGUED by back problems for years. Honestly, when I started strength conditioning, I REALLY REALLY saw a difference. I went to PT but it just wasn't enough. When I started my weight loss program I realized I as able to go days at a time without pain meds.

It was really a side effect of working out regularly and losing weight. You need to strengthen your core to support your back better. ANYTHING that engages your abs and your core muscles helps your back.

Good luck.....I feel ya!
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I used to have terrible back problems a few years ago, and ended up in PT, which helped some. What helped a lot more was getting to the gym and doing yoga and strength training. Developing good core strength is extremely important. And a good, firm bed. I can honestly say that I haven't had any lower back problems in years.
  • Jessicah2011
    Options
    They tell me that in PT... strengthen core... But all the exercises they have me do make me feel so.... fragile I guess is the best word to describe it. Everything is slow... small... I don't feel it doing anything for my strength. But it hurts my back like crazy! I'm worried if I do actually exert myself I will hurt myself more.
  • ABT2003
    ABT2003 Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi!

I had back surgery about 13 months ago as I blew out 2 discs. I was in decent shape before as I had done the P90X program. I tried to start that again but, unfortunately, an hour work out is just too long for my back still at this point. I just bought the Jillian Michaels Body Revolution and it is just the first week but, her half hour workouts seem to be working really well for me. I have had no back pain and honestly my core feels stronger than it has in a while.

Bascially, do what you feel you can handle. As my PT person told me, your body will tell you when to stop. Don't push it too much at first but, do what you can and eventually you will be able to handle more than you thought you could.

Best of luck!!
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I used to have terrible back problems a few years ago, and ended up in PT, which helped some. What helped a lot more was getting to the gym and doing yoga and strength training. Developing good core strength is extremely important. And a good, firm bed. I can honestly say that I haven't had any lower back problems in years.

Excellent advice. I injured the 4th and 5th lower vertebrae from sports activities (well, ignoring the pain from a sport injury). I did PT for recovery. Hatha Yoga and pilates -- anything to gently strengthen your core. No recommendations on loosing weight fast though. Can't help you there.
  • Jessicah2011
    Options
    LOL a firm bed?? I can't sleep on anything short of a cloud. I'm so used to my fluffy pillow top mattress I am in extreme pain when I sleep anywhere else. Which by the way is very often...

I have an ab lounge I need to start using again... in the mean time I am working with resistance bands and lots of walking the kids around the neighborhood.
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I have 2 herinated discs in my lower back and after almost 2 years I am just getting back to working out. My doctor gave me exercises for my core which I do. Sometimes I do them and sometimes I can't. Here is some of the exercises that helped me but you should run them by your PT to make sure they are right for you.

Bridges
    Supermans
    Planks
    Basic Crunches

There is another one which I don't know the name of but you are on all fours and you extend one arm and the opposite leg and hold it then do the other sides.

And lastly, the figure 4 stretch will help loosen up your lower back muscles. (At least for me it does.)

I hope you find relief from your pain. Good luck!
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    LOL a firm bed?? I can't sleep on anything short of a cloud. I'm so used to my fluffy pillow top mattress I am in extreme pain when I sleep anywhere else. Which by the way is very often...

I found that a firm bed is the worst thing for my back. It puts my hips in a position that throws my back out of whack. I had to buy a sleep number bed so I could sleep at night.
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    After my spinal cord surgery, I was on strict physical therapy. Once I was somewhat back to normal, I began core training. Mostly easy stuff, like laying face down on the floor lifting one leg up (backwards) and opposite arm straight out. If you can do planks they will strengthen the core as well. The main rule of thumb is, if it hurts - STOP. No sense in making your back worse. Baby steps. As you build the muscles in the back up, you will notice that you dont feel as fragile as you do now.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I have had back problems due to injuries sustained from being a college athlete. Some of my teammates did as well. It is something that I still deal with occasionally. I have found that strength training has taken away most of the pain. ( I have a rotated pelvis that caused three of my vertebrae to rotate which caused a whole bunch of problems throughout my whole body, not just my back).

I was a swimmer, and thankfully it is typically an exercise you can do without straining your back.

Aqua jogging, swimming laps and water aerobics are good exercises for those with back injuries.

More Importantly, I suggest you ask your physical therapist what kind of exercises you can do. Depending on your specific issues, different things can be possible.
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options

I found that a firm bed is the worst thing for my back. It puts my hips in a position that throws my back out of whack. I had to buy a sleep number bed so I could sleep at night.

Agreed!!! I need soft and fluffy or I wake up in the worst pain ever. The whole lay on the floor thing does not work for me.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Noooooooo! I exercise to prevent a bad back. Don't come here trying to get me to cause myself pain!
  • rw4004
    rw4004 Posts: 157
    Options
    I'm sorry about your back!Ok so yoga-great slow moves and strengthens your core,swimming,pilates,walking is good keep it up,tae chi is also great!!I'd keep trying new things until you find one that doesn't aggravate your injury.Are you icing it?Eating healthy foods (snacking every two hours in between meals) ,eating more fiber and drinking more water helped me lose.
  • ElPumaMex
    ElPumaMex Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    You are receiving very good advice here from the other posters.

I also have a herniated disc, and here is what I would add to the discussion:

Since you are still in bad pain, your first priority should not be exercising and core strenghtening.
    Your priority should be to reduce the inflamation that normally is directly related to the pain.

What I found out to work great for me, much more than any PT, was:

a) Reduce inflamation by applying COLD to the area. This is no time to apply Cold/Heat treatments.
    The reason this worked for me, is that when I am in pain is because the herniated disc is inflamed and is being pinched by the column's bone structure.
    Cold will reduce the inflamation, and thus the constant pinching of the disc, which allows the disc to return to a more "normal" size (does not fix the herniated state, of course)

b) Once you are not in constant pain, then you can begin thinking of core strengthening exercises.
    Start slow. There are MANY videos and articles on the web available to show how to properly do this

c) Above all, what will help you the most is Weight reduction.
    The weight reduction will allow a herniated disc to not be constantly stressed, and will alllow further reduction of the inflamation and consequent pain incidents.
    Now that I have reduced my weight by 44 pounds, I feel MUCH better and have not had even a small hint of back pain for probably a month now.
    This was NOT an instant process. Even after a 30 lbs loss, it took a while for my disc to "heal" enough. But you can be sure that weight reduction WORKS.

Wish you the best luck ! :bigsmile:
  • nbsambucca
    nbsambucca Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    im jumping on the core wagon! i have degenerative discs in my lower back. nothing seemed to work. i liked zumba the most. start slow. but its ALOT of core andits standing up. ,my problem was the core exercises would have me so sore and unable to do daily stuff let alone another day of THAT!! yoga stretches , superman/ banana in P90X is awesome...but zumba did the trick! good luck!
  • Jessicah2011
    Options
    My back issues are due to twisted vertebrae and stupidity on my part.... I twisted to crack my back for most of my life and also just had an added injury... I jumped to my hubby and expected him to catch me but ended up hitting his face with my shoulder and fell flat on my already hurting back... Yea I know dummy! Go ahead and laugh I do all the time! But anyways The weight I have is mostly just an annoyance to me I doubt it is hurting my back any more. Right now they are doing heat and electrolysis to help relax the muscle.

I think that eating smarter will help a lot because no matter what I eat... however sugary or unhealthy... I seem to maintain the same weight. Mostly I was concerned with adding injury to injury.

Thank you for all the great tips! Good luck to you all!
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I herniated a disc after my last baby and have been PLAGUED by back problems for years. Honestly, when I started strength conditioning, I REALLY REALLY saw a difference. I went to PT but it just wasn't enough. When I started my weight loss program I realized I as able to go days at a time without pain meds.

It was really a side effect of working out regularly and losing weight. You need to strengthen your core to support your back better. ANYTHING that engages your abs and your core muscles helps your back.

Good luck.....I feel ya!

This :)
    My chiro always tells me that I need to strengthen my core to support my back.
  • desirae500
    desirae500 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I vote for yoga or pilates. Good core work. Plus you can go as fast or slow as you need to. Look for slow (sometimes too slow for me) but steady improvement in weight, strength and core. My husband has had multiple abdominal surgeries and found yoga to be an excellent workout. He also works out in the pool as the water supports back and belly!

Good luck!
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options

You've absolutely got to do what works for you. Focus on healing, eating well, and sloooowly work on strengthening your core. You do not have to do anything crazy, and you'll find, over time, that you can in fact do crazy stuff if you want to :-) A good Yoga/Pilates instructor should be able to give you guidance on how to modify for your particular health problems, BTW. You do not want to go with someone that has a one size fits all approach.