Choosing a Protein Supplement

Options
I'm new to MFP, and have decided that while loosing weight (I have approximately 72lbs left to lose), I would like to start strength training. When this weight comes off, I want to work on toning and sculpting.

I was wondering when I should start adding a protein supplement? and what should I be looking for in a supplement? I have seen the aisles of this stuff, and to a newbie, it seems a little overwhelming; especially when I don't know what I'm looking for.

Please forgive me if this sounds stupid, and the obvious answer is something like "any protein powder" LOL! I just want to make sure I'm doing this right.

Oh and most days, I'm meeting or exceeding my protein goals (as the diary has them set).

Replies

• Jenph20
    Jenph20 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    If you are lifting weights and working out regularly, i recommend a protein shake. I use shakeology from beachbody and i love it. You can try it out for 30 days and if you dont like it, you can send an empty bag back and get your money. It's a little pricey, but its the best i have found out there. Msg if you have any questions about it :) i also have a fb support group for people if you want some extra motivation :) We would love to have you!
  • HodderAL
    HodderAL Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Shakeology looks like a meal replacement shake. I am not interested in that, thanks though.

I am looking for advice on which supplement, if any, I should use.
  • 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Bump im interested what people say. I justgot muscle milk and it seems good.. I know it has more sugars than some but right now I either had to have something thst tasted good or I wouldnt have it. A lot or books I read recommend having your settings at 40/30/30 mfp puts your protein pretty low
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    i like Body Fortress. you can get at Wal Mart. its on the cheaper side and it dissolves well in water.
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes can also be used as meal replacements. I use them as a snack before or after my work outs. I use Ideal Shape. The chocolate is tasty and only 110 calories
    you can order it online.
  • Larommi
    Larommi Posts: 25
    Options
    GNC Pro Performance® AMP Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60

I use 1 scoop vs the 3 they recommend. I drink one after I work out and 1 for breakfast on my recovery days.

I have been eating alot of lean proteins like fish and chicken and use this to make up the deficit.
  • swarcher
    swarcher Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    i like Body Fortress. you can get at Wal Mart. its on the cheaper side and it dissolves well in water.

This .... or pure protein doesn't taste too bad either and has low sugar content as well.
  • shvrngrl
    shvrngrl Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I like vita whey. Its only whey protien and thats it. It doesn't have the sickly sweet chemical taste a lot of protiens have or all the extra additives. Its expensive though.

I also use costco's protien, which is about $35 for 6lbs. It does have the sickly sweet chemicle taste, but its cheap and fills my protien quota.
  • jkb1129
    jkb1129 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have almost the exact same question so am glad to see this come up! Wasn't sure if you really should only start using protein supplements/shakes when you've lost the bulk of the weight and are just looking to get lean/build muscle mass, or if you can (and should) use them at any stage. I also agree the choices are overwhelming. I know some have added "stuff" that I would want to avoid, but also don't want one that tastes like chalk. Hoping that the MFP community has some good advice here!
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Go talk to the guys at GNC or Vitamins Shoppe -- this way, if you get something you don't like you can return it for something else. Easier than being stuck with a jug of stuff you don't like.

Also, there are tons of site online where you can order samples of different proteins --- since people have such different tastes you really can't go by what someone else likes. I think one of the nastiest tasting proteins out there is Optimum Nutrition/Gold Standard, yet people are always saying they like it. Yuck.

Also, if you a gluten free, lactose intolerant etc --- that will affect your choices.

Whatever you do, don't fall for the hype or pay for anything stupid like shakeology, herbalife, bodybyVI or anything pre-mixed!

PS Your best investment should be a blender bottle --- with the wire whisk inside.

I am a bit of a protein snob, so I will only buy 100% p ure whey protein isolate, little to no fat/carb/sugar, high protein and gluten free. I sometimes gauge the quality by looking at the cholesterol on the label and rarely buy anything with more than 5mg.
  • HodderAL
    HodderAL Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the replies!

MissMaryMac33, I have done the meal replacement "shakes". It was about 7 years ago, and YES I lost the weight, no doubt about it. I was down to a size 8 from my post-partum size 20, but boy did I ever get sick!! I still suffer medical consequences and will never go that route again or recommend it to anyone. This time it is about a lifestyle change, something I can maintain. I am lactose intolerant and will definitely read the labels carefully. The closest GNC is about 4 hours away from me, so I won't be able to go there anytime soon, or on a regular basis.

Thank you all for your replies. I guess I will have to just buy smaller containers until I find one that I like.

PS: As someone else asked, when is a good time to introduce protein supplements? Just when we start working out heavy with weights? Does it matter at what point in our weight loss we are?
  • kaitlynnrogers
    kaitlynnrogers Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    i get body fortress whey protein in vanilla and make recipes that taste like milk shakes from:
    www.dashingdish.com
    they're better, in my opinion. than ice cream shakes!(: just make sure you find a greek yogurt you like!(:
  • MissMaryMac33
    Options
    Thank you all for the replies!

MissMaryMac33, I have done the meal replacement "shakes". It was about 7 years ago, and YES I lost the weight, no doubt about it. I was down to a size 8 from my post-partum size 20, but boy did I ever get sick!! I still suffer medical consequences and will never go that route again or recommend it to anyone. This time it is about a lifestyle change, something I can maintain. I am lactose intolerant and will definitely read the labels carefully. The closest GNC is about 4 hours away from me, so I won't be able to go there anytime soon, or on a regular basis.

Thank you all for your replies. I guess I will have to just buy smaller containers until I find one that I like.

PS: As someone else asked, when is a good time to introduce protein supplements? Just when we start working out heavy with weights? Does it matter at what point in our weight loss we are?

Give this a try -- order samples first!
    http://tryabouttime.com (I like chocolate, cinnamon, birthday cake etc..)

It is pure 100% whey protein isolate, gluten-free, lactose free - zero carb, zero fat, no artifical sweeteners.
    I like the taste and I love the stats... so this is my favorite currently ---

If you like the samples I would order it from http://supplementwarehouse.com -- its a lot cheaper there for the big tubs.
  • rmrosen83
    rmrosen83 Posts: 12
    Options
    Missmarymac, what flavor didn't you like? I currently use optimum nutrition gold standard chocolate malt and love it! It's good with water and even better with milk. It mixes easily and tastes like an unhealthy treat. I highly recommend it. 120 calories, 24 grams protein, 1 gram fat, and only 3 grams carbs.

For those using body fortress proteins, just realize they add creatine to there powder. I'm not against creatine, I just feel many don't realize this.
  • MissMaryMac33
    Options
    Missmarymac, what flavor didn't you like? I currently use optimum nutrition gold standard chocolate malt and love it! It's good with water and even better with milk. It mixes easily and tastes like an unhealthy treat. I highly recommend it. 120 calories, 24 grams protein, 1 gram fat, and only 3 grams carbs.

For those using body fortress proteins, just realize they add creatine to there powder. I'm not against creatine, I just feel many don't realize this.

The chocolate is the one I tried along with several other samples. I think every single flavor they make is watery and has a horrible aftertaste. To eash own. Also, it's not pure whey isolate...its a blend. It has 30mg of cholesterol which is high and tells you its not he best quality. There are plenty of better brands. (also the label doesn't mention gluten free or lactose free which is something else I look for)

PS Go Pack Go! At least we agree that Packers rock! :p