What am I doing wrong? PLEASE HELP ! ! !

Options
On Feb 29th, I weighed myself and learned that I lost 14 lbs. That's when I started MFP.I have been keeping up with my daily goal of 1260, most times I'm under this goal. I haven't lost any weight since and I have been eating less than 1000 calories for atleast a month, on top of which I've also been working out. I believe my body thinks I'm on starvation mode and is not burning any fat but storing it....WHAT can I DO :explode: ?????? Any insight on this situation will be really HELPFUL!!!!

Replies

• KCharron20
    KCharron20 Posts: 105
    Options
    Your body needs more than 1000 calories to live on. You should make sure you get closer to the 1260 that MFP recommends. Also if you work out, make sure you also eat most of those calories back as well.
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    eat more.

I am serious. 1000 calories a day is TOO LITTLE. Start off by netting no less than 1200. Then up it to your BMR. I know it will be more because I am little and mine is 1400.
  • julia6567
    julia6567 Posts: 27
    Options
    Hi there,

If you have been set a goal og 1260 calories you should be aiming to get as close to that as possible. Plus you are earning extra calories working out, you need to use these calories if possible otherwise your body thinks you are starving yourself and stores energy rather than burning it. Another big thing is that muscle is heavier than fat. You may well be losing inches rather that lbs/kgs. A good thing to do would be to measure your vitals. That way when you dont lose weight you will be able to see the inches/cms dropping off through the tape measure.

I hope this helps. My first weigh in is tomorrow. Fingers crossed its good news.

Jules.
  • Solstice_LB
    Options
    I am going through the same thing here, so I empathize! I have been working out hardcore for about a month now and haven't lost a thing. I have been around 1500/1600 calories, which is what MFP is recommending with my exercising but I am seeing ZERO results. It is so frustrating. When I started, I really thought I'd have seen some results to be proud of by now. I don't want to lose my motivation/determination!!!
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    You're doing nothing right. You're not eating enough, working out too much and rely too much on the scale. Eat more, exercise less, and take your measurements instead of relaying on the scale.
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Your body needs more than 1000 calories to live on. You should make sure you get closer to the 1260 that MFP recommends. Also if you work out, make sure you also eat most of those calories back as well.

~This~
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    "I have been eating less than 1000 calories for atleast a month, on top of which I've also been working out"

^ THIS is what you've been doing wrong ^

You should NET a minimum of 1200 calories.
    So if your goal is 1260, and you work out and burn 400, then you need to eat at least 1460! (You should be eating back some, if not all of your exercise calories)
    you're not feeding your body properly, therefore, it is not doing what you want it to -- kind of like trying to drive a car without gas.

And also as Hiker said - take measurements too.

SW 303.4 (1/1/11)
    CW 194.8 (down 108.6lbs)
    GW 160
    29 y/o 5'6''
  • xYumzx
    xYumzx Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    FROM EVERYTHING I HAVE READ ON THESE BOARDS MFP WILL PUT 1200 AS THE LOWEST CALORIC INTAKE ALLOWED. IVE ALSO HEARD EATING MORE ACTUALLY HELPS I WAS AT 1250 LOST SOME NOW IM AT ALMOST 1500 AND WE SHALL SEE WHAT HAPPENS BUT DONT EAT BELOW 1200 YOURE BODY NEEDS FOOD TO SURVIVE
  • laineyluma
    laineyluma Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else.

Eat more!

I know when we tell you this you are probably like :huh: but it's true. Just try it for a few weeks and see what happens when you up your calories to match your exercise.
  • jenseye
    jenseye Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Eat the 1260 that MFP recommends and eat back at least 1/2 of your exercise calories. Give it a few weeks, if that isn't working eat all your exercise calories back. Everyone is different and you just need to experiment and see what works for you. But I think eating 1000 a day is way to little!!!
    The biggest thing is give it some time...it doesn't happen overnight, but it will happen with time, patience, good food choices and workouts.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Hard to say with the little information you've given. Are you eating less now than when you initially lost? If so, go back to eating at the calorie level where you were losing. How many calories you need can depend on a lot of things and MFP recommendations are general recommendations. 1000 sounds very low for most people, but could be correct if you are very short.
  • Amedug
    Amedug Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I don't know how it's affecting my weight as yet but I started 30 day shred 3 days ago and I have so many calories left over each night. I'm on 1200 a day and I have 500 left now even though I've already entered tonight's meal. 500 is a lot to eat - should I be eating more?? I don't feel hungry during the day and I have around 300-400 calories for lunch. Just wondering if I'm at risk of starvation mode. I'm at uni so only weigh when i visit home every few weeks.
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Agree with the eat more, exercise less, eat your exercise calories. PLUS we can't see your food diary. There are lots of philosophies out there, but IMO you should really restrict/cut out sugar, salt, junk food, white flours, white rice, white pastas, and oils. Go with whole foods, lean protein, add beans, lots of fruits and mainly veggies to your diet. Skip fast food and 100 calorie packs.

You'll get conflicting advice on diet. This is what helped me lose the first 7 of my last 10 pounds. I've lost 70 pounds and have been at this from every angle so far.

Keep at it. Find YOUR answers. One thing for sure, you will never succeed at this if you give up. NEVER GIVE UP. We have all done it/are doing it and there is no reason why you can't do it, too!
    Susan
  • Mompanda4
    Mompanda4 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • mischa_12
    mischa_12 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Same thing is happening to me. I'm just under my recommended calorie intake everyday and exercising my butt off -- seeing no results!
    This is really weird to me because last year I lost 20lbs eating very little but I'm doing a lot more exercise this time around I believe.
    it is SO fustrating!
    I look in the mirror and all I can see is the same fat thighs and wobbly arms :I
  • stacymama5
    stacymama5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options

Exactly Right in my opinion. EAT MORE!!!
  • Musikelektronik
    Musikelektronik Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    If interested in a different point of view take a look at the this, you will find a different perspective from the other replies. Good Luck!

www.XXXXXXXXXX.com

Nice spam. Thanks.
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Eat more hun, a LOT more. 1500 cals minimum if you're working out, and include lots of variety in your diet...plenty of fibre, protein and healthy fats x
  • shapcomp
    shapcomp Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thank you ! Thank you! I am in the same boat. MFP says I should be eating 1200, but I burn up to 700 calories a day biking (90 minutes @ 11 mph), staionary biking (60 minutes @ 12 mph) or walking 90 minutes at 3.5 miles per hour. I am so afraid to add all those calories, as I am not losing anyway. And when I have extra calories, I use it on empty calories like 100 calorie snack bars or vanilla ice milk. So I am going to try to up my calories on work out days to at least 1400 calories. Maybe my age is a factor? I am 61, and the daily exercise compensates for many hours of a sedentary life (reading, typing on computer!)
  • nannabannana
    Options
    I eat whatever I want within reason, on 1 day a week..keeps my body from going into that plateau..at least it works for me.