What's your fav way to cook sweet potatoes?

Options
vallemic
vallemic Posts: 278 Member
I have 4 medium sweet potatoes I would like to make tonight as a side dish. Any suggestions>

Replies

• christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Bake them. You can eat them just like a baked potato. Maybe put A LITTLE butter & a LITTLE brown sugar to sweeten.
  • miss_missa07
    Options
    I like to lightly spray them with cooking spray and add a little bit of brown sugar and then bake them. Easy, delicious baked potato fries.
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I like to cut them into fries and either sautee or roast them with just a little bit of olive oil, then very little salt.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Slice like thick fries
    add about 1 Tblsp olive oil
    1/2 tsp kosher salt
    1/4 tsp ground pepper
    1 - 3 tsp of what spice you prefer (I use a combination of chili powder and cayenne pepper)
    Bake at 400 degrees for 30 -35 minutes
  • emilyhawarah
    Options
    Sweet Potato chips or fries (baked, of course) with a tiny bit of coconut oil and some coarse sea salt.
  • laineyluma
    laineyluma Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I like making sweet potato fries. I peel them and cut them into "fry" shape and sprinkly with fresh cracked black pepper and drizzle with olive oil (lightly) then bake at 375 for about 15-20 mins then flip them over and keep baking until they are slightly crisp and still tender on the inside :)
  • BigAlfrn
    BigAlfrn Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    i usually just throw one in the microwave for a few minutes until its soft. lol sorry thats the lazy way to do it. then i add a small amout of I cant believe its not butter and maybe a sprinkle of cinnamon then i'm all set.
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I wash them and cook them for 2 hours in 350*. The inside moves away from the skin and is soooo smooth! YUM

A little butter buds and cinnamon = happiness.
  • DoodleDaft
    Options
    I like to peel mine, cut into cubes, roast in the oven with a drizzle of olive oil and then eat with balsamic vinegar.
  • RobynDCrossman
    Options
    Sweet potato fries are mega easy and delicious.
    I also like to just toss 'em in the oven and let them bake.
    I then peel mine and smash em up with a little bit of butter, splenda, and splenda brown sugar. Sometimes cinnamon and nutmeg, too.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I like them baked or mashed with a little olive oil and pepper, or chopped and tossed in olive oil, garlic powder and chili powder and roasted or grilled.

But my favorite is to dice them and saute in olive oil with onion, seasoned with a little sea salt and a lot of black pepper.
  • laineyluma
    laineyluma Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I also like to cube them and saute (sp?) them with a bit of olive oil and pepper.
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    CannibalisticVegetarian Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    Sounds silly, but I actually boil mines until they are soft, put them into a blender, and puree those bad boys with a pinch of cinnamon and maybe a few spritzes of light spray butter. I guess that just stems from me and my love for the sweet potato Gerber baby food, but it's pretty tasty!
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I like my baked with a little butter and cinnamon. My boyfriend likes to put some chili flakes on his for a little heat.
  • jennyph2006
    jennyph2006 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    bump!! I love sweet potatos too.
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Another vote for the butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and a dash of nutmeg!

I tried it with plain greek yogurt in the place of butter and it did just fine, gave it a bit of tang with it.
  • miatemple
    miatemple Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yes! Baked sweet potato, either with cinnamon and earth balance (butter) OR loaded, with chives, turkey bacon (eating right), fat free sour cream, s&p, low fat cheese - this however, is a full meal for me. Enjoy!
  • mossie1973
    mossie1973 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like to dice the sweet potato, toss lightly in olive oil, sprinkle with pumpkin pie spice (I used a generous amount) to cover. I baked them at 350 for about 25 minutes or until you can get a fork through them....it's heavenly!!
  • mmklinemm
    mmklinemm Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    3 Tbls chopped pecans
    1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice, divided in half
    1/4 tsp dark brown sugar
    20 oz total (about 1 1/2 med.) sweet potatoes, peeled, cut crosswise into 3/4-inch pieces, and quartered
    2 tsp olive oil and 1 tsp olive oil, divided use
    1/8 tsp salt
    2 tsp finely chopped shallots (we skip this)

- Preheat oven to 425deg F. Stir together pecans, 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice, and brown sugar. Set aside.
    - Lay out potatoes on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 tsp olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and remaining 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice.
    - Roast for 20 minutes or until tender, stiring once halfway through. Transfer to serving bowl. Reduce oven to 350deg F.
    - Spread pecan mixture on same baking sheet. Dry-roast in oven for about 5 minutes, or until they become fragrant.
    - Add pecan mixture and shallots to sweet potatoes. Toss gently. Drizzle with remaining olive oil. Toss again.

Serves 4 with 1/2 c. per serving. Cal: 193, Total Fat: 7.5g, Sat. Fat: 1.0g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 151 mg, Carbs: 30g, Fiber: 7g, Sugars: 7g, Progein: 3g.

This turns out sooooo delicious! Taken from an American Heart Association cookbook. We make this every Thanksgiving. I usually mix the pecan mixture with the potatoes and bake them all at the same time. Saves time and tastes just as great.