Heart Surgeon Speaks Out On What Really Causes Heart Disease

Options
2»

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    quack.gif

Your oratory skills are truly mesmerizing.

As is your nutritional knowledge
  • jamesfit99
    Options
    Previous Poster: http://www.quackpotwatch.org/quackpots/quackpots/barrett.htm

http://www.canlyme.com/quackwatch.html
    Apparently "quackpotwatch" was set up by "quackwatch" detractors specifically do discredit its founder. Haven't really read anything negative about it's founder from independent and reliable sources.

And while I haven't studied in depth the whole soap operish tale on quackpotwatch, there was something written about a 2003 court decision where journalists would/should stop citing the quackwatch site. And yet, both Time Magazine and Lancet have quoted the site and it's founder favorable since. That's about all I care to discuss on the quack fight LOL

But back to the the actually topic -- Dr. Lundell and his claims.

His statements still sound like a press release to sell his book and nutritional supplements.

Did he do any studies? Did he cite any studies? Any peer review? Again-- both Dr. Dean Ornish and Dr. Esselystyn have studies to show that a very low fat, high carb diet can reverse arteriosclerosis. And that cholesterol levels *are* important.

Yes, Lundell, mixes into the brew some legitimate claims (like processed food being bad) and touches on the hot topic of "inflammation", but that in no way justifies or supports many of the claims he ends up with.

-- James
  • SalishSea
    SalishSea Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I truly beleive refined carbs are bad -for me at least. I feel sick and sluggish immediately after I eat bad carbs. Like I just ate poison. They are addictive for me too. Remember I am only applying this to myself. I am sure other people can eat any carb and feel fine.

I try to eat good carbs: fruit, berries, naturally grown/non-gmo wheat bread.

There is also genetic cholesterol that is in part responsible for heart disease. In those genetically predisposed.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Interesting article-thanks for sharing it!
    Personally, I don't think there's any harm in eating a clean diet. Eliminating processed foods sure can't hurt!:smile:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Interested? Here is an excerpt, link to article below...

"The rest of us have simply followed the recommended mainstream diet that is low in fat and high in polyunsaturated fats and carbohydrates, not knowing we were causing repeated injury to our blood vessels. This repeated injury creates chronic inflammation leading to heart disease, stroke, diabetes and obesity.

What are the biggest culprits of chronic inflammation? Quite simply, they are the overload of simple, highly processed carbohydrates (sugar, flour and all the products made from them) and the excess consumption of omega-6 vegetable oils like soybean, corn and sunflower that are found in many processed foods.
    "

http://www.sott.net/articles/show/242516-World-Renown-Heart-Surgeon-Speaks-Out-On-What-Really-Causes-Heart-Disease

Yes, there is an element of common sense in suggesting we eat cleaner but where are the peer reviewed studies? Where is the proof in his hypothesis? If he is correct we could eliminate heart disease by eating a bowl of blueberries every day, again I go back to......where are the studies?

Let's also not forget he was stripped of his medical license in 2008 which hurts his credibility .
  • billtonkin
    billtonkin Posts: 109
    Options
    I was once told that, half of all doctors graduate medical school in the bottom 50% of their class. Just something to think about.
  • aunfire82
    aunfire82 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Interesting read! Thanks so much for sharing. Reaffirmed my clean eating habits.