Replies

• 99cherrypie99
    99cherrypie99 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    After I'm done stretching.
  • mopedgirl007
    mopedgirl007 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin FR60, and for me it depends on the type of workout. If I'm outdoors walking or running with the footpod I start it when I start and I push stop immediately when I finish, because I want the distance and pace to be accurate since that is how I push myself. If I'm indoors working out with dvd's I push stop at the end of the cool down and by then my heart rate has usually dropped below my target range(below 118).
  • Grandysl
    Grandysl Posts: 189
    Options
    As soon as I am done exercising. That way the calories are probably under so I build in a little cushion!!
  • dsak
    dsak Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I stop once I've finished stretching after my workout.

This!
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I stop my HRM when I stop the work out before my cool down stretch.
  • 2hmom
    2hmom Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the answers,everybody.
  • Erica002
    Erica002 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    When I get to my car and sit down, I hit stop.
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    My HRM sets a specific zone based on % above my resting heart rate as my 'workout zone'... i stop my count when my heart rate goes below that zone. That is typically where my heart rate is within 3 minutes or so of a cooldown (below 120 bpm for me)
  • lutkica01
    lutkica01 Posts: 65
    Options
    I also wait until I am no longer "in zone" which is usually a minute or two after I stop exercising.
  • GMPetti82
    GMPetti82 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I turn it off when I hit around 100 as well. That's what my heart rate is when I am just walking around doing my daily activities.
  • Butterfly3730
    Options
    Below 100.
  • kaymd
    kaymd Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I stop mine as soon as I stop my treadmill or get back from a walk. I rather underestimate the burn too.
  • Amy_Lynn74
    Amy_Lynn74 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing you do. I hit stop after it gets below 100.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Heart Rate Monitors work by calculating the likely expenditure of calories based on your heart rate.

Because of this, it carries on assuming that you're still doing work to bring your heart rate up, even when you have finished exercising.

Having a high heart rate does not mean you're burning calories, if you want a more accurate reading, you need to stop your HRM as soon as you stop exercising.

EDITED TO ADD:

Just because you're "in the zone" does not mean you are burning more calories than you would be burning at rest. It just means that you're not yet fit enough to have recovered quickly after exercise. Remember, it's NOT your heart that is burning your calories, it's your body.

If your heart is still banging away, but your body is at rest, you're not burning calories.
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I hit stop as soon as I'm done exercising. I'd rather underestimate the burn!
    I do the same... but I also use mine as a GPS to track my running and biking routes, so I don't want to add distance by leaving it on. Still, I'd turn it off when I stop the activity I'm tracking.

I'd say do what makes sense to you... obviously, thee are lots of optoins!