Which is a healthier breakfast?

Options
Shreddies/High Fibre Cereal with Skimmed Milk

or

2 Poached Eggs with 2 Wholemeal Toast (No butter)

I can't eat porridge as it gives me heartburn

Fruit I tend to eat mid morning

Goal is to run a 1/2 marathon

Replies

• lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I'm leaning towards the eggs and toast due to the high protein in eggs. Though I think a cup of milk has similar amounts. Then again, I'm a high protein eater and would eat the eggs and skip the toast! LOL. I can't have the toast anyway, allergic to yeast in bread!
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I think they both sound great.
  • sa1712
    sa1712 Posts: 11
    Options
    I'll be running 5 days a week so could maybe have cereal the days after I don't run?
  • Audi68
    Audi68 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a MIM (Atkins Muffin in a Minute) It has a ton of protein and fiber and is quick, easy, and delish!!

You take a 1/4 cup Flaxmeal, 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1 packet splend, 1 tsp cinnamon Mix in a mug then add 1 egg and 1 tbsp of butter or canola oil or olive oil. Mix it up and microwave for 1 minute.

It may sound a little iffy but trust me....it is really good.
  • kantone999
    kantone999 Posts: 174
    Options
    Definitely the high-protein egg breakfast if you're a marathon runner.
  • kimr41
    kimr41 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I think I'll give this a try
  • omgiacobbi
    omgiacobbi Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I would go with the eggs, only because I like to eat a lot of protein in the morning. It keeps me fuller longer.

Good luck with your marathon !
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Both are healthy breakfasts. Why don't you alternate the two to avoid the dreaded "breakfast rut"?
  • suttercm
    suttercm Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I do the one minute muffin, but add a tablespoon on protein powder and a tablespoon of wheat germ.

The cereal/milk would be too high in carbs for me. The eggs & toast would be okay.
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    If you are going to be running that much (ie: burning that many calories) - why not BOTH?

**EDIT - Having said that, if i had to choose, I'd go with the poached eggs and toast (x2) as I like the flavors more and it is more balanced to my macros (carb:fat:protein ratio) :smile:
  • Genie30
    Genie30 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    In my personal experience, cereal leaves me hungry an hour later whereas the eggs and toast would fill my up a lot longer.
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I'd go with the eggs for the protein, will help keep you full onger and avoid the crash and hunger shortly after. I often do a few hard boiled eggs, fruit, and a handful of walnuts.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    If you are going to be running that much (ie: burning that many calories) - why not BOTH?

Having said that, if i had to choose, I'd go with the poached eggs and toast (x2) as I like the flavors more :smile:
    I was thinking the same!

I eat eggs & toast pretty much every day, but on the days I run, I usually eat a bowl of oatmeal, bananas, walnuts & honey between my morning workout and getting out the door to run. Then I eat the eggs & toast when I get back. The cereal & fruit before the run is awesome.
  • Cathleenr
    Cathleenr Posts: 332
    Options
    There really isn't enough information here to make a judgment. what does the rest of your nutrition look like? Standing alone, a single meal is either too much of something or not enough.
  • RentThisSpace
    RentThisSpace Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    For me, I would go with the eggs option. The eggs will have more protein, which will leave you filing fuller longer and will also be helpful to build and repair muscles from running.

Good luck on reaching your goal of a half marathon. Be sure to not try and do too much, too fast in your training as that is the typical way most people hurt themselves.
  • toffee322
    toffee322 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Both are healthy breakfasts. Why don't you alternate the two to avoid the dreaded "breakfast rut"?

agree! both are healthy and filling. do both and alternate!
  • sa1712
    sa1712 Posts: 11
    Options
    There really isn't enough information here to make a judgment. what does the rest of your nutrition look like? Standing alone, a single meal is either too much of something or not enough.

havent been training for the last 2 months (just move to london) so just eating calories for a desk job (+30 min walk and back to work)

diet has been consisting of (very very roughly)

shreddies with skimmed milk (350 cal)
    banana (100)
    prawn mayo sandwhich (300)
    veg soup with chicken (300)
    2 oatcakes (100)
    veg and chicken/eggs/turkey for dinner (300)
    several teas with semi skimmed milk throughout the day (50)

probably isnt the best diet but ive gone from 75kg to 67kg since january - always have left over carbs, fat is usually 0-10 left, protein normally too high :)

been aiming for 1550 each day and usually make it (apart from one day drinking a week where i ignore the diary)
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Another option is greek yogurt with fruit, walnuts, and some local honey for allergens. yummy
  • samanthateal
    Options
    Have you tried a MIM (Atkins Muffin in a Minute) It has a ton of protein and fiber and is quick, easy, and delish!!

You take a 1/4 cup Flaxmeal, 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1 packet splend, 1 tsp cinnamon Mix in a mug then add 1 egg and 1 tbsp of butter or canola oil or olive oil. Mix it up and microwave for 1 minute.

It may sound a little iffy but trust me....it is really good.

sorry i tried this is was gross, tried to finish it and couldn't do it : /
  • alexsmith01
    alexsmith01 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Either depending what you feel like on the day :) both are healthy, why limit yourself? Just see how you feel in the morning haha