runners, how long do you stretch?

Options
how much time do you spend stretching before a run? how long do you stretch after a run? which stretches are your favorites?

Replies

• Quickster34
    Quickster34 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I do a dynamic warm up that takes about 10-15min before i run, much more effective than static stretches, with limited static stretched after my run

some of my favorites, leg swings, upper body rotations, a-skips, b-skips, inverted reach, walking quad , lunges just to name a few..
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I usually don't stretch before I run. If I feel like I need to then I may do a minute or two of dynamic stretches. I normally don't stretch after running either. Several times a week I may spend 5 or 10 minutes stretching during the day.

My favorite is calf stretches because it is usually my calves that are tight.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I rarely stretch before a run. After a run, maybe 20 seconds?
  • missigus
    missigus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I walk for about 10 min prior just to warm up muscles, I was told not to do traditional stretching before exercising, I guess it can cause more injury, but like others said, movement to get blood flowing to muscles. I do stretch after my run. I usually hold stretches, quad, hammies, and calf, about 30/40 seconds. Don't bounce, just hold at the point you feel a nice stretch.
  • chase7512
    chase7512 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I never strecth before a run, but I will do a little exercise (Lunges, Squats) to get the endorphines going in my legs. After a run I do a full strecth starting down (Calves) working my way up (Shoulders / Neck) holding each one for 12 secs.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    before a hard workout or race, i do dynamic stretches (i.e drills). Beyond that, no other stretching
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Dynamic before run: butt-kicks, hackey sack, lunges, leg swing & hip adductor

Static afterward: quads, hamstrings calves, soleus, it band (foam roller & stretches) - hold each for 30 sec; neck & shoulder
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I never stretch before a run. I will take about 5 minutes to stretch out afterward. I make sure my legs get most of the benefit and it helps ease some pain.
  • chaniray
    chaniray Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    i do a brisk walk before i run to warm up and i'll stretch for about 5 mins afterward. seems to work better.
  • sixisCHANGEDjk
    Options
    how much time do you spend stretching before a run? how long do you stretch after a run? which stretches are your favorites?

I'm finding a lot of good work outs and stretches on www.runnersworld.com. I'd definitely check it out.
  • jillybean9881
    jillybean9881 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I like to run for 5-10 mins, then stretch for 5-10 minutes. Then I do a work out, and then I'll stretch for at least 10 minutes after.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    There are passionate arguments on both sides. There are also people who feel you should warm up and cool down and not stretch.

I don't stretch, but I sort of warm up and cool down. Works for me.

They say that static stretching before a run or workout is not great for you. But, I don't know. I just say, do whatever works. Recent research out of Australia says that they see better performance and less injury from runners that only stretch after a run, not before.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Usually not a whole lot of strectching before.
    Afterwards could be quite a bit depending on how I feel. I love a good cool down stretch after a hard run.
  • jenalderman
    jenalderman Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I don't stretch before a run. There are varying opinions on this but the prevailing one is that stretching cold muscles tends to lead to more injuries. Instead of stretching, I walk for the first couple of minutes, then a light jog for a minutes, then go into my normal gait.

After running, I typically spend about 10 minutes stretching. I wish I knew the names of the stretches to share with you..lol. I just usually make sure that I am getting into my hamstrings, quads, glutes and calves.
  • HOSED49
    HOSED49 Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I read that if you hold the stretch for more than 20 seconds that it helps increase your felxibility and anything under that maintains your current flexibility.
    That was around 1998 though LOL so I am sure someone has come up with something new, but, I still hold my stretches to increase flexibility as some believe you need to stretch after a run to prevent injury and help recover from your run. Everyones different and not one thing works for everyone, just see what works for you......
  • alicia2601
    alicia2601 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I don't like to stretch for some reason but I force myself to do about 5 mins worth before and after a run and a 5 min brisk walk before and after as well.
  • Jbarbo01
    Jbarbo01 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I tend to just do a fast walk 5 minutes before starting my run, I have read that you are not supposed to do static stretching until after 20 minutes of activity. This will ensure your muscles are warm enough to have an effect on your flexibility and prevent injury to them. You can do active or dynamic stretching though before your run. I stretch for about 5 to 10 minutes after my runs, I like to do the hurdler hamstring stretch, inner thigh stretch, quad stretch, calve stretch, and then forward bends usually.
  • johnlatv
    johnlatv Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    0.0 before and after... i don't recommend this.
  • 99cherrypie99
    99cherrypie99 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Most evidence shows that stretching before has no effect on rate of injury and can actually cause injury. So I do no stretching before.

After my run - Stretch upper calves, lower calves, hamstrings, back and neck, and quads. Each stretch should be held a minimum of 30 seconds for any benefit.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I stretch for about 5 minutes before and after and do a 5 minute warm up and cool down walking briskly. I'd rather be safe than sorry and I have found in the past if I didn't stretch ahead of time, even with a warm up and cool down, I'd end up with some sort of injury.

I have noticed that a lot of men don't stretch. I wish I could get away without doing it, but my body refuses to cooperate.