Air Force Wife

Options
Hi all! I'm an Air Force wife, been married for (almost) 12 years. I have 4 children, ages 3-10, and I'm a part time student. I married young and had 3 kids before I turned 25. Each time I was able to lose the baby weight with a normal amount of effort. Actually, after my 2nd child I was able to return to my high school weight of 117lbs. I have found that 125 is a good and healthy weight for me (I'm 5' 0").

Ever since I had my 4th child and especially when I hit 30 (last year) the weight seems to be sticking to me like glue and won't budge! I'm stuck at about 145lbs. I've been doing MFP for almost a month. I lost two pounds, but the scale goes up and down, so right now it's a net 0.

The thing I find most difficult is eating while on a diet, yet still having to cook and serve 5 healthy normal weight people who are not on a diet. In fact, my husband is so thin, it would benefit him if he GAINED weight.

I'm just so frustrated. Add to that, as a military wife my schedule and routine is thrown out of wack any time we move or my husband deploys. I used to live at a base with great walking trails, them we lived on a tropical island where I could exercise daily outside (year round), now I live in a windy plains state with crazy weather so I' have to depend on the gym for my exercise.

Replies

• Cathleenr
    Cathleenr Posts: 332
    Options
    Hi all! I'm an Air Force wife, been married for (almost) 12 years. I have 4 children, ages 3-10, and I'm a part time student. I married young and had 3 kids before I turned 25. Each time I was able to lose the baby weight with a normal amount of effort. Actually, after my 2nd child I was able to return to my high school weight of 117lbs. I have found that 125 is a good and healthy weight for me (I'm 5' 0").

Ever since I had my 4th child and especially when I hit 30 (last year) the weight seems to be sticking to me like glue and won't budge! I'm stuck at about 145lbs. I've been doing MFP for almost a month. I lost two pounds, but the scale goes up and down, so right now it's a net 0.

The thing I find most difficult is eating while on a diet, yet still having to cook and serve 5 healthy normal weight people who are not on a diet. In fact, my husband is so thin, it would benefit him if he GAINED weight.

I'm just so frustrated. Add to that, as a military wife my schedule and routine is thrown out of wack any time we move or my husband deploys. I used to live at a base with great walking trails, them we lived on a tropical island where I could exercise daily outside (year round), now I live in a windy plains state with crazy weather so I' have to depend on the gym for my exercise.

welcome!
    I am near JBLM-my husband just got back from a deployment, so I know how crazy it can be.
    we have very unpredictable weather here in Washington, too but I have learned that I won;t melt in the rain and they make some warm outdoor running gear! I use the gym for my strength routine, but much prefer the outdoors for my cardio runs.
    A proper diet doesn't have to be complicated or so diverse that the whole family can't eat what you are eating...you just may be on a lower total intake then they are.
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I recently moved from a windy plains state AFB city with crazy weather......I walked the mall and did workout videos at home when the weather wasn't conducive to being outside. Part of the year it was so crazy hot that when we were outside, we were in water! I chose to get up and play in the splash pad with the kids rather than sit at the side with the other moms - burning calories is really more fun!

You will get your schedule settled down and your eating plan all figured out. You can do this!
  • mistresseeyore
    mistresseeyore Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Welcome from a former Air Force Brat, my Dad got out when I was 19... (My Mom and Dad were both in the Air Force when they had me.) So the saying Momma wore combat boots is true for me. LOL On a serious note, I know that all the bases have gyms to keep military personnel in shape, have you thought of going to it? When I turned 16, my Dad had me in there in Aerobics and Step Aerobics class. It was a fun way to pass my time after school.
  • taryn_perry
    taryn_perry Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!! I'm not in the military, but am a Mom and share the struggles of keeping on track at times. But what really helps me is accountability. Do you have any accountability measures or other Military wives you can hold yourself accountable to?
  • mommyparkes
    Options
    My sister and I are each other's accountability partners, but we have expanded ourselves to MFP to help us along this journey.