Cabbage roll casserole

Options
Just made myself a huuuudge batch; find it so good, thought I'd share.

- 1 cup onion
- 2 lbs of lean ground meat (chicken, turkey, etc.)
- 3 lbs of cabbage cut in small (about 1 in) pieces (I used an entire small-med sized chinese cabbage)
- 1 cup dry lentils
- 1.5 cans of tomatoes (cut in cubes) - 28 oz can
- 1.75 cup of chicken broth
- spices

I do everything in my wok.

Chop the onions and cook them with the meat. Drain the fat and add the cabbage, the lentils, the tomatoes and the broth. I put a variety of spices: sea salt, onion and garlic powder, hot pepper, oregano, pepper, dill...

Mix everything, put a lid on (my wok doesn't have a lid so I covered it with foil, and let it simmer for about 40 minutes on medium heat... really, until the lentil and cabbage or soft. I turned off the heat and let it sit in the wok for a few hours (could've had it right away but had already plans for dinner)... the flavors mixed in well and it's the kind of meal that's just so good as a left-over!

Replies

• heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Just a quick technical question here before I try it and it's a visual mess; isn't this is more of a stew or soup? I thought casseroles were solid dishes you could cut slices of and even freeze for later - not that you can't freeze soup of course.
  • Chickie0999
    Options
    I suppose it's called casserole since it's not the actual cabbage rolls... it turns out more like a stew than a soup. You can limit the liquid you had (only one can of tomatoes and less broth) and put it in a pan in the oven for about an hour... it'll get the consistency of a casserole. :)
  • taramarie123
    taramarie123 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Sounds great! Thank you!
  • zumazum
    zumazum Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    bump