Cardio and Bannanas, can I loose weight?

Options
billsica
billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
Can I work out by running and eat bananas. I saw that eating them is a guaranteed way to not loose weight. I drink 2 cups or water and have a banana before my workout. Is this a recipe for disaster?
Although bananas are fat-free, the sugar content is high, accounting for 76 calories, or roughly 69 percent of the overall energy content of a medium banana. Natural sugars, like other carbohydrates, are broken down into glucose. Once your immediate energy needs have been met, your body stores excess glucose as glycogen in your liver and skeletal muscles. Stored glycogen can later be used to meet energy demands. If your capacity for storing glycogen is exceeded, the remainder gets stored as fat. However, excess calories in general from any food source lead to increased fat storage.

Eating too much in general will cause you to gain body fat, even if you're eating healthy foods such as bananas. Any time you consume more calories than you burn, you create a calorie surplus.

Replies

• agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    There are many, many people here who eat bananas and lose weight just fine. They are not an evil food. You just don't want to eat them in excess, like any other food.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I don't think I eat them in excess. I have one with two scoops of frozen yogurt usually, and a little bit of chocolate syrup and a teaspoon of coolwhip.
    well yesterday it was really hot, so I had some panda paws ice cream to go with it.
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    and a sleeve of chips ahoy?
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    If you're eating it right before a workout, you'll be burning all that sugar right then, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Your body will burn the sugar, then the glycogen, then turn to fat and muscles for more energy. I really wouldn't stress it, unless you're diabetic, but that's a different story all together!
  • Xanovira
    Xanovira Posts: 11
    Options
    If you're looking to lose weight, I wouldn't think that the bananas are the problem in that equation. Bananas are actually very good for you; don't eat them like they're candy, but you know... the issue with the weight loss would come in with the things you're pairing with the bananas. Most people don't get enough potassium anyway.

If you want a cool, satisfying treat, I find that freezing overripe bananas and them popping them into a food processor until soft and creamy might be the better than having them with frozen yogurt and all of those sugary toppings.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    and a sleeve of chips ahoy?

LOL Good one!
  • oldmanstauf
    oldmanstauf Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I eat bananas every day. I see nothing wrong with them.