Knees cracking every time I do squats?

Options
Anyone else have this issue? I've been taking it slow and just doing 2 sets of 5 reps to get my legs used to the motion for the past couple of days before I kick it up, and every single time, my knees crack and sweet Jesus in a top hat does it HURT.

Please, tell me someone has some suggestions to help me strengthen up my knees. Doing almost any leg exercise, save for those leg-push machines at gyms (I can't fund a gym membership by the by), causes me very great discomfort. I'm lucky if I can do ten lunges on each leg in a whole day.

Replies

• Xanovira
    Xanovira Posts: 11
    Options
    I've got a similar issue, but with my elbows during triceps extensions instead of knees... I'm definitely interested in seeing what people say. Bump!
  • catatoniccutie
    Options
    I get the same issue with my hips, too. Sometimes my elbows will crack, but it's not nearly as bad. It's just very odd to me, an ex-marching band member, to have such weak legs/knees. I'm worried I'm entering into the wonderful world of joint problems.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    My knees have always popped when I do squats.
    Play around with the angle of your feet and make sure you're sitting back enough, and not leaning too far forward.

It's going to vary from person to person, but If I have my feet pretty much straight forward and push out on my knees hard then I don't get much popping.
    I think you're okay as long as there isn't any pain. I've had popping knees for two years and routinely squat over 300 pounds without any pain.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options
    My knees also popped less when I did box squats. (I think because I was able to really keep my knees out that way)

If that's an option you can try them.
  • catatoniccutie
    Options
    For me, there is a pretty bad amount of pain when my knees pop during squats. Though, I've got my laptop with me in my workout space (makes a great music player) - I attempted the box squats and managed to escape with just one painless pop! Thank you, very much. I think I'll stick with these 'til my knees get a bit stronger, or I find out about my joints - one of the two.

^-^
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options
    I'd stick with box squats.
    You are doing freeweights right and not a smith machine? If you're using a machine, that could be the problem.

Box squats are fantastic anyway, and most people stick with them. I did them for 3 months straight and watched my free squat go up, and my hips got stronger than ever. I only switched back to free squats this month because I have a meet, then I'll be back to using a box again.

If you keep having pain, I'd see a doctor. At least try a joint support supp.

If you get a chance to take a vid, I'd be more than happy to look at it and see if I can spot a problem that could be causing the pain, I'm not expert but I'm here to help if ya need it.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    For me, there is a pretty bad amount of pain when my knees pop during squats. Though, I've got my laptop with me in my workout space (makes a great music player) - I attempted the box squats and managed to escape with just one painless pop! Thank you, very much. I think I'll stick with these 'til my knees get a bit stronger, or I find out about my joints - one of the two.

^-^

Watch your foot angle. If you have your feet pointed straight-ahead that could be part of your problem. Depending on the lifter your feet may point towards either the 11 and 1 o'clock or 10 and 2 o'clock position. If you're lifting heavy you may just need knee wraps.

Do you have pain when you do Lunges, Leg Curls, or Leg Extensions?
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options

Watch your foot angle. If you have your feet pointed straight-ahead that could be part of your problem. Depending on the lifter your feet may point towards either the 11 and 1 o'clock or 10 and 2 o'clock position. If you're lifting heavy you may just need knee wraps.

If your legs are pointing towards 11, you've got a problem while squatting. Your knees shouldn't dip in, and I think they'd have to at that angle.

Try knee sleeves, I use them often and they keep my knees warm and usually limit any pain. Wraps work, but its a pain in the *kitten* to wrap and unwrap between sets.
  • catatoniccutie
    Options
    Right now I'm not working with weights save for a light bar until I know I find a method that's consistently pain free. If there is a problem with my knees, I don't want to push it too hard and then end up seriously damaging them.

I was standing at 11 and 1 when I first noticed the problem, though when I changed my footing and widened my angle the problem didn't go away, or change at all.

I've not got knee sleeves, instead a pair of socks I cut up and pulled up to my thighs to cover my knees with. I do have a circulation problem, so the extra covering does help - but I think knee sleeves would still be a wise investment.

I do have pain during squats and leg extensions, but leg curls don't give as much issue. There's still a bit of pain, but not an unbearable amount - and not in my knees. For that one it's just that pleasant burning feeling that says "You're doing it right!"

Regardless, I'm going to go and see my doctor about my knees within the next week. It's starting to interfere with my workout plan.
  • JNick77
    Options

If your legs are pointing towards 11, you've got a problem while squatting. Your knees shouldn't dip in, and I think they'd have to at that angle.

Try knee sleeves, I use them often and they keep my knees warm and usually limit any pain. Wraps work, but its a pain in the *kitten* to wrap and unwrap between sets.

Not at all, although the 10&2 might be a bit of an exaggeration I guess. If you take a semi-wide stance and sit back properly the knee movement is fine down and up and you can easily get to parallel or deeper. Checkout "So You Think You Can Squat" on YouTube. Your feet should not be straight-ahead.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options
    I misread the thing about 11 and 1. I thought he was saying your right foot could point at 11 (inwards).
    Disregard that.

Anyway, I'd definiately see a doctor if you are already having circulation issues. And have them check everything out to see if it's okay to be doing weighted stuff.
    If you get the okay, look into a cheap pair of knee sleeves ( i found some at the dollar store that work great for keeping them warm) and check into a balm to help with minor pain. I use equiblock or hot pink from elitefts.com
    Aspercreme, Icy hot, etc work too I just like something a little stronger.
  • JNick77
    Options
    Right now I'm not working with weights save for a light bar until I know I find a method that's consistently pain free. If there is a problem with my knees, I don't want to push it too hard and then end up seriously damaging them.

I was standing at 11 and 1 when I first noticed the problem, though when I changed my footing and widened my angle the problem didn't go away, or change at all.

I've not got knee sleeves, instead a pair of socks I cut up and pulled up to my thighs to cover my knees with. I do have a circulation problem, so the extra covering does help - but I think knee sleeves would still be a wise investment.

I do have pain during squats and leg extensions, but leg curls don't give as much issue. There's still a bit of pain, but not an unbearable amount - and not in my knees. For that one it's just that pleasant burning feeling that says "You're doing it right!"

Regardless, I'm going to go and see my doctor about my knees within the next week. It's starting to interfere with my workout plan.

Good call, sounds like you have something going on with your ACL perhaps.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options

Not at all, although the 10&2 might be a bit of an exaggeration I guess. If you take a semi-wide stance and sit back properly the knee movement is fine down and up and you can easily get to parallel or deeper. Checkout "So You Think You Can Squat" on YouTube. Your feet should not be straight-ahead.

I misunderstood you and was thinking right foot pointed at 11, which would have you pointed inwards.

Watched those vids before, I pretty much live on elitefts.com Lots of good info there, OP, definitely check that video out on youtube.

For box squats, yes they should be close to straight-ahead (watch some westside videos, it builds the hips,and for me personally, it makes the popping less frequent). For free squats, you'd wanna angle out like you said.
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I've heard a good number of times to keep your weight in your heels and really press yours knees out on the push, don't let them cave in to the center. I keep my feet probably around a 20 degree angle and vary the width depending on what I'm doing.
  • JNick77
    Options
    I've heard a good number of times to keep your weight in your heels and really press yours knees out on the push, don't let them cave in to the center. I keep my feet probably around a 20 degree angle and vary the width depending on what I'm doing.

I don't know that you want to be on your heels, you never want to be in an unbalanced position. The weight should be distributed more mid-to-heel than just on your heel. And yes, don't want your knees collapsing into the middle.
  • Luthorcrow
    Luthorcrow Posts: 193
    Options
    You definitely should not be experiencing knee pain if your form is correct. There are several things you could be doing wrong. The most likely is that you are not pushing your knees out enough and keeping them pushed out through the entire movement or your are not going deep enough (partial squats stress your knees). Is there anyway you can post a video doing squats so we can give feedback on your form?

As for demonstration videos I would stick with the Starting Strength videos.
    http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Squat_Videos
  • jazz0matic
    Options

I don't know that you want to be on your heels, you never want to be in an unbalanced position. The weight should be distributed more mid-to-heel than just on your heel. And yes, don't want your knees collapsing into the middle.

I have osteoarthritis and a lot of knee work like squats and lunges really kill me. My trainer said, yes, push the weight into the heel during these types of exercises. It'll take stress off the knee and put it on to the hip. It has helped me immensely. (but like he said, don't actually balance on your heels, that's just where the focus is)
  • betaleonis
    betaleonis Posts: 178
    Options
    Hey there -

my advice is keep with it, and your knees will get stronger. just adjust your exercises to suit you!

I have an old injury from figure skating - tore a ligament in my knee - after healing, I started studying field archaeology, and that is helll on your knees as well - so I'm no stranger to knee pain!

My knees used to pop almost every time I knelt, and in the beg exercises such as squats, running, you name it, made my knees pop with pain - HOWEVER - now, after about 2 months of exercising daily, my knees rarely pop at all. Win!

**I found the rowing machine to be very helpful for building up knee strength. Maybe you can find something similar that you can do outside of a gym? Also--- knee circles before any exercises!

Stick with it!
  • sapalee
    Options

Maybe I should have typed: don't let your heels lift off the ground. To me this translates into weight in heels, balanced.
  • sapalee
    Options

oops, didn't mean to do twice