Have you spoken to a Dietitian/Nutritionist

Options
xYumzx
xYumzx Posts: 953 Member
Ive decided that since I really wanna get serious about my weight loss I will see a dietitian. Has anyone seen one, if so what was it like before and after for you?

Ex:
Eating habits when you started dieting before speaking to one, and how it was like after?
Health...

Replies

• IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    YES! And it's honestly a HUGE part of why I was finally successful!

I regularly consult a nutritionist. When I first started, he made me an entire menu to go off of. It really helped me retrain myself in my eating habits and get a better understanding of how to properly fuel my body and how to eat to lose weight. :) I spent a year going around in circles and when I finally got with a nutiritionist (and a trainer), I've lost almost 30lbs in less than 3 months.
  • Xanovira
    Xanovira Posts: 11
    Options
    I haven't seen a dietitian or nutritionist, but ever since taking my nutrition course in nursing, my eating habits have definitely changed. In general, finding out just what your body requires and learning about the dangers that occur from both deficiency and toxicity can be a real eye opener. I also got to learn exactly what certain processed foods, trans fat, and other "problem" areas can do to your body on a chemical level. There was some scary stuff there that really encouraged me to change my life around.

Due to my own experiences studying nutrition, I might recommend seeing a dietitian or nutritionist... or just buy a credible (emphasis on the credible) book based around it so you can have a go-to guide.
  • cygnetpro
    cygnetpro Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    No, and I sometimes consider doing it. I did consult with my family doctor, and some of what she said helped. But she also told me to cut my calories even further than 1200, which I won't do. She's a fabulous doctor, but I think I'd listen to a nutritionist/dietician with more confidence.
  • WhatDoesLisa
    Options
    I went to one about 2 years ago who happened to be a vegan, I am not. I spent a lot of money and I think it was a waste because she kept pushing her vegan agenda. One thing I have realized is that you need to work with someone who eats the way that you do. If your principles are not the same, it isn't going to work. I have some great recipes from her but was it worth $1000? Heck no!

I am not bashing veganism at all, it is just not the way that I chose to eat.
  • xYumzx
    Options
    I went to one about 2 years ago who happened to be a vegan, I am not. I spent a lot of money and I think it was a waste because she kept pushing her vegan agenda. One thing I have realized is that you need to work with someone who eats the way that you do. If your principles are not the same, it isn't going to work. I have some great recipes from her but was it worth $1000? Heck no!

I am not bashing veganism at all, it is just not the way that I chose to eat.
    The one I found was $75 initial visis (1hr)
    $50 Follow up (1/2hr)
  • hwalter1
    hwalter1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Can anyone recommend a good nutrition book? Not the latest/greatest craze?
  • xYumzx
    Options
    My brother recommended Diet Abs to me... I bought it and was reading it then lost interest, because I swear I need to sit with someone for it to sink in... but my brother swears by it.
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I saw a dietician to GAIN weight about 8 years ago, it seems had everyone been patient my body would have put on weight all on its own (and I wouldn't be trying to lose now!). I can't offer help with losing but I found them quite helpful and informative at the time, I can imagine they would have just as much knowledge about losing! :)
  • Xanovira
    Xanovira Posts: 11
    Options
    The nursing book I used for my class was Foundations and Clinical Applications of Nutrition. It teachers, obviously, from a nursing student perspective, but it's MUCH more reliable than a lot of other texts out there; it also lacks the biased viewpoint that many self-help books tend to have.

If you're able to find something of similar credibility or you don't feel guilt about nabbing a nursing students' textbook off of amazon, you should be alright.
  • clements1972
    Options
    I started seeing a dietician about 6 weeks ago. I've had three meetings with her thus far. I think she's been very encouraging with some of the things I've been implementing. She's given some good, sound advice. I prepare questions for her and keep a food diary to bring and review with her. I also have a personal trainer that I see twice a week and hit the gym 2 to 3 times a week for cardio aside from what I do with my personal trainer.

My problem has always been not eating enough, so eating 3 times a day with a snack or two is a major accomplishment for me. My other thing is to also try to drink more water. For now...that is all I'm working on and I see my dietician once every two weeks. Once I feel like I am staying on top of this, then it's time for different goals. My goals normally change every 2 to 4 weeks once I've accomplished the previous goals.

I think you'll find it helpful and encouraging.

Good luck,

Carrie
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    My daughter has a rare disease that is only treatable with diet.. so I've had to become an expert in nutrition and metabolism to keep her alive. I agree with the nursing students here that advocate the nutrition texts.. I'm now and RN as well, and these books are written from a health standpoint, with no bias toward selling a certain diet plan (Southbeach, Jenny, cabbage diet, whatever). Just good, sound physiological nutrition. But if you're also looking for a great book that has all of the nutritional values of practically every food out there, try Bowes and Church's Food Values of Portions Commonly Used. I've used this book for 15 years now.
  • jarrodc
    jarrodc Posts: 102
    Options
    I saw one, it was a waste of money, because they basically regurgitated everything I'd already read on the Internet.

They might be good if you're inexperienced and don't have the time to teach yourself.

Otherwise you may just be paying for things you already know or 1 or 2 facts that ultimately don't help, because from my experience they're never usually pillars of knowledge (no offence nutritionists).

edit: if you have a health condition, this is a different story. And don't listen to me.
  • jayne_mel
    jayne_mel Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I used a dietitian I'd say for 3 years when I was trying to gain then maintain then gain weight. Oddly enough I am a dietitian now but I'm looking into going back to school to med school