Going to the gym in the morning

Options
I'm wanting to try going to the gym first thing in the morning before work. I usually go in the evening after work, but it's such a chore. I feel so exhausted after work and the gym is so crowded and uncomfortable.

I'm thinking it might be nicer to go early early in the morning, like 6am, before work.

Do you do this?Any tips?

I'm concerned about having a lack of energy since it will be so early, but I think I can get past it.

I'm also concerned about eating. I am STARVING in the morning and can't wait to eat breakfast. But I don't know if it's a good idea to eat breakfast and go to the gym and maybe get cramps or metabolize my breakfast too quickly afterwards that I'm hungry again too soon. I also dont' want to eat breakfast after I work out, because I might be too hungry and lack energy and maybe faint if I'm working out. I'm thinking maybe a snack like an apple would be good. Not too filling, but not too basic? What do you do for this?

Also my biggest concern... SHOWERING! when do I shower? A shower is what gets me going, gets me alert for the day. Ideally I'd want to shower then go work out, but it would make no sense cause I'd sweat and have to shower again before work. I know the best thing would be to shower after my workout, but then do I get fully dressed and ready for work at the gym? Do i do my hair and make up there? Or do I go home after and shower and get ready.

SIgh this is all so complicated. Any examples of morning gym routines might help me.

Replies

• edena1987
    edena1987 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    These are some of the things that I worry about too with morning workouts! I have a 40-60 minute commute and my gym doesn't open up until 5. I have spring break coming up (I am a high school teacher) so I think I might try it then...I will let you know.
  • cyncetastic
    cyncetastic Posts: 165
    Options
    I'd recommend having a protein shake with 1/2 cups of oats in it before you go to the gym. This will provide your body with a good source of clean energy and keep you from starving. After your workout, you can eat your "normal" breakfast and get ready for work. :)
  • derposaurus
    derposaurus Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend having a protein shake with 1/2 cups of oats in it before you go to the gym. This will provide your body with a good source of clean energy and keep you from starving. After your workout, you can eat your "normal" breakfast and get ready for work. :)

hm thats not a bad idea at all. going to look into that thank you
  • pojinx
    pojinx Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have nearly perfected my morning workout routine but it may not be for everybody. I pack my gym bag at night : gym shorts, sports bra, socks, shoes, extra underwear, shirt, towel, body wash, head band, straightener, make up. I shower at night and wash my hair. The headband and a pony tail keep my hair from getting sweaty. So I roll out of bed in the morning and get dressed in my work clothes. I've found packing my gym clothes and wearing my work clothes saves space.

As for eating, I have a sensitive stomach that cramps up badly during my workout if I have eaten too recently. I have about a 30 minute commute to my gym so I eat something little but with high protein before I leave. I don't like protein drinks before working out because I feel "sloshy" from them for too long. So my optimum pre-workout food is either a hard-boiled egg or a slice of peanut butter toast. As I said, this may not be for everyone because I know that's not a lot to eat.

I don't usually have that much trouble waking up, eating, and getting out the door but I get drowsy and start yawning right when I begin my work out. So here is my other solution that people may not like: I take a half of a caffeine pill. When I say "caffeine pill" though, I mean 150 mg (a little more than a cup of coffee)- and I only take half. I am pretty susceptible to caffeine so this is enough for me and I don't feel like I'm cheating by taking a harsh supplement.

After my workout I shower quickly (again, I don't wash my hair). Then doing my hair, makeup, and changing clothes takes about 12 minutes. I then rush to work, drink my protein, and eat a banana and Kashi cereal.

Hope I helped :)
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    You're putting way too much into this :p

Eat breakfast before the gym so you aren't starving.
    Take a shower after the gym and get ready for work.
    Have a snack packed in case you're hungry after the gym. Something as simple as a quick protein shake should hold you over until your next meal.
  • bloodguilt
    bloodguilt Posts: 126
    Options

Have a snack packed in case you're hungry after the gym. Something as simple as a quick protein shake should hold you over until your next meal.

This.
  • derposaurus
    derposaurus Posts: 53 Member
    Options

lol your simplicity is inspiring...
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Getting to the gym @ 5am is a great feeling, it will help your day go soooo much better.