Runners- Vibram shoes?

Options
Hello Everyone!
I run quite a bit (20+ miles a week), and I am considering purchasing some vibram shoes. What do you like (or not like) about them? Which ones do you have? I am looking at the treksport since I'd like them for pavement and trail runs. Currently I run in Brooks, but I have heard great things about these shoes... I do have fairly flat feet and my traverse arch is collapsed, if that matters?

Replies

• lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I hear all sorts of good things about Vibram 5-fingers from all my running and health-nut friends. The key is, when you start using them, start with no more than 2-3 hours a day, as it takes a while for your foot strength to improve. There are arch supports you can buy, I've seen them for ballet dancers, that can help you with the flat-foot problem. I'm looking to buy some from discount dance supply!
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    based on your foot issues, you might want to go to a specialized running store and get properly fitted. Vibrams are very trendy right now but have a higher than normal injury rate due to the lack of support/structure.

Not to mention they are SPENDY for something that just makes it like you are running without shoes.

Instead, try going to a track and running some laps on the football field barefoot.
  • __flexylexi
    __flexylexi Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I don't know if vibrams would work well with flat feet as you need support.
    I do love mine only for pavement running though, it is a no go for treadmill running.
  • agranados87
    agranados87 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone :) I actually went to the running store where I usually purchase my shoes and talked to the guys there about the vibrams. According to them (and the research I've been doing), vibrams are supposed to be great for flat feet/over-pronators. He advised me to get the bikilas, which I'm researching now. Still not sure I'm ready to give up my shoe, but I may just give them a try!!