Lose the last 10lbs with Cardio or Weights?

Options
What do you think will work best? These last 10lbs are a nightmare! I have been hovering around the same weight for months. I know I need to work on eating better, but as far as exercise goes, I've been focussing on cardio and getting no where.

I was going to start heavy lifting once I reached my goal weight and focus on changing body composition - but maybe that's a dumb idea to wait.

And then what about food? If I start lifting, do I continue a deficit until I've reached this goal weight? Or should I eat more and try to gain muscle in hopes that changing my body composition will get me to this magical number?

Note: I know many will say to not focus on numbers, but it's a really good motivator for me.

Replies

• cyncetastic
    cyncetastic Posts: 165
    Options
    Throw the scale away! What most people mean when they say they "want to lose weight" is "I want to lose fat."

This was me at 5'4" and 130 lbs at ~23% body fat:
    photo-7.jpg

And this is me at 5'4" and ~129 lbs at ~16-17% body fat:
    6022dcc9.jpg

THE SCALE LIES! Lift heavy, eat clean, and dont starve your body!
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    hell yeah!

the last ten pounds are going to look better as muscle anyway, might as well start a lifting routine and let the fat work for you :)
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Why wait until goal weight? Start now!

Set your deficit to about .5(250 calories) and lift heavy. You don't have to eat clean per say, but make sure you have enough protein and meet your calorie goal.
  • Suziq2you
    Suziq2you Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Throw the scale away! What most people mean when they say they "want to lose weight" is "I want to lose fat."

photo-7.jpg

6022dcc9.jpg

Damn. You look amazing. Screw the scales. I am joining a gym this week.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

<Absolutely incredible pictures removed since they're right above me.>

What she said! :happy:

Go for a very small calorie deficit - heck, you can probably get away with going on maintenance - get adequate protein, lift heavy, and go by photos, measurements and clothes instead of the scale.

I'm the same weight as I was last July, when I started lifting heavy. The scale went down, then back up, then up a little more, then back down again since then.

july-march-bikini-front.jpg

july-march-bikini-back.jpg

11pounds-1.jpg
  • nataliemarie387
    nataliemarie387 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    wowza! you look amazing!
  • chiera88
    chiera88 Posts: 155
    Options
    bump. great pics. others who have had success should add theirs too!!
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    Lifting, in the long run lifting burns more calories than cardio anyways!
  • JenaePavlak
    JenaePavlak Posts: 350 Member
    Options

YES!!! Exactly!
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I've sat between 130-140 most of my life, and my goal weight is somewhere between 115-120. I couldn't get below 130 without adding weights to my routine. I even stopped lifting for a month, and even though I lost about 3lbs, my measurements stayed the same. Now I'm at about 125, and slowly losing the last few pounds. I'm less concerned about the number on the scale though, and I take my measurements monthly and track my progress that way. I have upped my calories, but that's more because my days have gotten busier and 1300 was just not maintainable for me. I eat around 1400 most days now, and make sure to get plenty of protein.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Keep a slight deficit, lift heavy, and toss your scale. The number inside your pants is the one that counts. :happy:
  • sidewinds
    sidewinds Posts: 14
    Options
    I had the same problem. Started lifting weights, wasn't even trying to drop anymore weight and more pounds started melting off. The thing is, the weight training if done regularly, will really up your metabolism. I've read your body burns more calories for up to 36 hours after a good weight training session. I would never completely stop cardio, but I regularly hit the weights, and it's making a real difference in how I look as well.
  • muffintopminx
    muffintopminx Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    WOW - you ladies look FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Screw cardio!

So if I lift 3x/week should I still do cario maybe 2x/week? Or do I need cardio at all? I'm not planning any marathons.

And pictures really do help - I'm going to try to ween myself off the scale and go by photos. That can be my new motivation.

thanks!!!
  • d2footballJRC
    Options
    WOW - you ladies look FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Screw cardio!

So if I lift 3x/week should I still do cario maybe 2x/week? Or do I need cardio at all? I'm not planning any marathons.

And pictures really do help - I'm going to try to ween myself off the scale and go by photos. That can be my new motivation.

thanks!!!

Balance is best.
  • ckidd311
    ckidd311 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    If you are motivated by numbers, you should change your goal from how much you weigh to how much your BF% is.

My weight has actually increased over the past few weeks but my body fat is dropping and I can tell a huge difference in the shape of my body.

Weights for sure! - still do cardio, but focus on weights.
  • d2footballJRC
    Options
    I had the same problem. Started lifting weights, wasn't even trying to drop anymore weight and more pounds started melting off. The thing is, the weight training if done regularly, will really up your metabolism. I've read your body burns more calories for up to 36 hours after a good weight training session. I would never completely stop cardio, but I regularly hit the weights, and it's making a real difference in how I look as well.

Funny enough I just posted this about that..

Interesting experiment is finally over. Just curious how effective the afterburn effect between lifting and cardio. Equipment used was a Polar FT80, it was only taken off for showers which as I'm a guy never run more than 5 minutes. I did everything the same and didn't do any extra activities on any of the rest days. I work at a desk in an office so that wouldn't change the outcome either. Not saying this is scientific evidence but more of just a test. I can definitely see how I'll not ever give up lifting. Work out times were the same and within 5 minutes of each other in length.

So I did this. I did a turn back to back rest day and this is what I got for calories burnt.
    Rest 1: 3182 from HRM per day.
    Rest 2: 3091 from HRM per day.

Lifting days (Lift day cals + rest day of next day for a 48 hour period.)
    Lift 1: 1208 exercise burnt, 2 day burn: 8306 or 4153 per day.
    Lift 2: 965 exercise burnt, 2 day burn: 8072 or 4036 per day.

Cardio days (Cardio day cals + rest day of next day for a 48 hour period.)
    Cardio 1: 1593 exercise burnt, 2 day burn: 7493 or 3746.5 a day
    Cardio 2: 1686 exercise burnt, 2 day burn: 7681 or 3801 a day

Again not an offical scientific experiment, but I took the same supplements and did the same time working out. I work a desk job and didn't move around anymore than usual. Just said I would for a group of people on MFP that was curious as was I.
    From this test it appears for me anyways I get a 300-400 extra calories burnt from lifting. Now just to go back to mixing the two and destroying the fat on muh bellah!!!!
  • shawnntrina
    Options
    @ cyncetastic.....what stomach exercises do you do to make your stomach toned like that. I dont wanna lose any more weight, just wanna tone up, especially my stomach, thighs and arms. Any advice?? :happy:
  • shawnntrina
    Options
    @ cyncetastic.....what stomach exercises do you do to make your stomach toned like that. I dont wanna lose any more weight, just wanna tone up, especially my stomach, thighs and arms. Any advice??
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options

photo-7.jpg

6022dcc9.jpg

INCREDIBLE! You are my motivation to stop weighing! I'm the exact height and weight as your before pic! xxx

Damn. You look amazing. Screw the scales. I am joining a gym this week.
  • sblack91
    sblack91 Posts: 27
    Options

photo-7.jpg

6022dcc9.jpg

You look amazing! I am in a similar position to your "before" picture and would love to know how you toned up your abs so well?