Shin Splint Pain

Options
So, I started my journey three weeks ago, walking has been my main exercise because I do not belong to a gym. I am having the worst shin splints. I stretch, I have my husband massage them from time to time, I walk backwards (been that was good by a personal trainer a few years ago)...nothing helps. I have had them my whole life. In HS my track couch said "just stretch more". It doesn't help! I use to be able to get past them by start off my walk very slowly and building up to a good speed. This doesn't help me this time around. Today I went on a 40 min walk and about 30 min in I was in so much pain I wanted to cry.

I want to try those socks you can wear for shin splints. Anyone try them? What do you do for yours?

Oh and I am going to start icing them today, twice a day and see if that helps.

Replies

• jrodx2
    jrodx2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    What about your shoes? I used to get them all the time and everyone kept telling me the same thing... just keep stretching. Finally, I went out and invested in a really good pair of sneakers that I only use for running (and replace when needed). The pain disappeared after the change. Wish I did it a long time ago but... live and learn. Good luck!!

--
    Follow my FB Fitness Page!
    Be stronger than your excuses: Recipes and inspiration for a healthier life
    www.facebook.com/excusesareeasy
  • tinattinat
    tinattinat Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    i would try the socks. I hear good things about them and maybe get fitted for proper shoes at a specialty running store. The wy will analyze your gait as you walk, run, or whatever workout you prefer and then bring shoes for you to try that will be good for your foot/gait. Just a couple things to think about. The right shoes can make a WORLD of difference. I have 4 pairs of the same shoe model and always feel great when I run/walk in them and whenever I wear one of my other pairs of shoes that I have ( for a change of pace or to match my outfit) my shins will be sore the WHOLE TIME! So weird. Good luck to you on your journey!
  • bhall33
    bhall33 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    What about your shoes? I used to get them all the time and everyone kept telling me the same thing... just keep stretching. Finally, I went out and invested in a really good pair of sneakers that I only use for running (and replace when needed). The pain disappeared after the change. Wish I did it a long time ago but... live and learn. Good luck!!

--
    Follow my FB Fitness Page!
    Be stronger than your excuses: Recipes and inspiration for a healthier life
    www.facebook.com/excusesareeasy

This is pretty much the same for me. I have really good shoes but was still getting them. But turns out good shoes still have poor insoles. I bought Dr. Scholls sport ones and they have made a huge difference.
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Yes, shoes shoes shoes!!!

When I started running, I had HORRIBLE shin splints. I even thought I fractured my shins at one point. I went to a running store and talked to them and got fitted. I actually did some research online as well.

I found that the Asics 2150 (or 2170) is rated really well for a stability and cushioning shoe. I used those for a year and they helped a lot. This year I switched to the Saucony Hurricane 14 and it's even better for me.

Other things that helped were icing my shins IMMEDIATELY after a run and usually the next day a couple of times as well. Give your legs a day on/day off schedule. Eat a protein dense meal after your walks to encourage healthy muscle recovery (shin splints are generally a muscle issue). I also found that doing calf raises and toe raises during the day really helped.

And, of course, losing weight helps. I've lost nearly 30lbs and that coupled with the great shoes I got at the beginning of the year I'm sure are what contribute to virtually no shin pain for me anymore.
  • ladyfingers39
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I am going to a runners store tonight and have them check me out. ;)
  • Moonladee
    Moonladee Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hun, I agree.. It's prob shoes.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    So, I started my journey three weeks ago, walking has been my main exercise because I do not belong to a gym. I am having the worst shin splints. I stretch, I have my husband massage them from time to time, I walk backwards (been that was good by a personal trainer a few years ago)...nothing helps. I have had them my whole life. In HS my track couch said "just stretch more". It doesn't help! I use to be able to get past them by start off my walk very slowly and building up to a good speed. This doesn't help me this time around. Today I went on a 40 min walk and about 30 min in I was in so much pain I wanted to cry.

I want to try those socks you can wear for shin splints. Anyone try them? What do you do for yours?

I used to get shinsplints when running outside on hard ground. Only running on grass, dirt or sand sorted it for me.

Perhaps walking is exactly the same. Your splints may ease if you walk on soft ground, can't hurt to try :)
  • ladyfingers39
    Options

I used to get shinsplints when running outside on hard ground. Only running on grass, dirt or sand sorted it for me.

Perhaps walking is exactly the same. Your splints may ease if you walk on soft ground, can't hurt to try :)

Interesting. Might have to try that.

So I went and got fitted for shoes and insoles. $202 later, I wore them into the mall and walked for about 20 minutes and was in horrible pain. Even the tops of my foot hurt...I just don't know. I think I need to see a doctor to see if I have done actual damage. I am not going to do any cardio today, which kills me...but I know I need to rest them.
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    i have this same problem too. i mean i lost 48lbs and my body can go longer but my shin splints doesnt allow me to go.

i got new running shoes from the running store and even the calf sleeve... still have the splints. i keep hearing if i ice them, it will be fine but is that a long term solution or just ease the pain short term solution?
  • leadoff
    leadoff Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I had shin splints my sophomore year playing baseball in college. Trainer's recommendation was better arch supports and full dose of anti-inflammatory (ibuprofen) before practice/exercise. I also had my arches taped up before each practice or game. He also suggested that I use the bathroom Dixie cups (the little paper ones), fill them with water, freeze them, and use them like a stick of deodorant to rub on my shore shins after practice/exercise. It took a few weeks, but it worked. That was 15+ years ago, and I have since made sure my shoes have good arch supports.
  • Springfield_Rocks
    Options
    I had shin splints my sophomore year playing baseball in college. Trainer's recommendation was better arch supports and full dose of anti-inflammatory (ibuprofen) before practice/exercise. I also had my arches taped up before each practice or game. He also suggested that I use the bathroom Dixie cups (the little paper ones), fill them with water, freeze them, and use them like a stick of deodorant to rub on my shore shins after practice/exercise. It took a few weeks, but it worked. That was 15+ years ago, and I have since made sure my shoes have good arch supports.

this.

also, make sure your shoes are not tied too tightly otherwise you can have problems with tendonitis on the tops of your feet (instep).

aleve works wonders for inflammation.

hang in there, ice them and take something for the inflammation and try again in a day or two. you could be doing too much too soon.

just keep trying, you can do it!
  • Sleekit
    Sleekit Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Everyone is right. It is all about the shoes. Wearing proper footwear is key. There is a reason official basketball courts (not the outdoor ones) are made of wood floor, or some sort of non cement... it is hard on your legs and feet. Also make sure you are stretching before and after your walks. During the walk your muscles are tightening-- like they should--- and stretching them helps lengthen them, preventing shin splints etc. If you have good shoes, are doing stretches, and the socks dont work, try seeing a doctor about getting custom orthodics for your shoes.
  • PepperGirl1
    PepperGirl1 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I did the ABC stretch every night to help my shin splints. From another webiste: "simple stretch I recommend, and many people have found effective, is what I call the ABC stretch or the alphabet stretch. To do the ABC stretch, first, lie flat on your back with your legs extended. Next, bring one leg up so that it is perpendicular to the floor. Support your leg by holding your calf with both hands. Then, draw the alphabet with your big toe. You’ll feel your muscles begin to loosen up and lengthen as you move through the alphabet. I’ve been asked before if you should draw upper case or lower case and I usually tell people all caps". To be honest, I just sit in a chair and hold my leg out and make my ABC's.
  • raven56706
    Options
    but see thatsjust the thing, is the icing of the shins.. is that a long term solution or just easing the pain for the moment?
  • leadoff
    leadoff Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    but see thatsjust the thing, is the icing of the shins.. is that a long term solution or just easing the pain for the moment?

Obviously eases the pain for the moment, but it aids in the healing process, as well, by helping with the swelling and inflammation. So......ultimately, icing eases the pain for the moment AND contributes to the long term solution. :)
  • ladyfingers39
    Options
    I tried the sleeve yesterday and it was AMAZING. So happy my hubs pushed me to get them. The shoes I got are not working for me, so am going to take them back and try another pair. Still resting my shins.
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options

Obviously eases the pain for the moment, but it aids in the healing process, as well, by helping with the swelling and inflammation. So......ultimately, icing eases the pain for the moment AND contributes to the long term solution. :)

the long term solution is 1)lose weight and get less weight and pressure on your shins and 2)work out more to build the muscles to support you better.
  • makeitbetter
    Options
    I had recurring shin splints. Stretching didn't make it go away. Ice and ibuprofen helped, the pain didn't last as long and wasn't as intense. Changing my stride (from heal to mid-foot strike, and a shorter stride) helped a lot! However, I still had minor aches if I tried to run faster. New shoes banished the splints for good. I still stretch before and after I run. I still ice my shins now and then after a run because I like the way it feels. I'm still adjusting my stride in small amounts to slowly increase speed. Hope that helps!
  • warrenvalley
    warrenvalley Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    While training for my first half marathon last fall I got horrible shin splints. My running partner's husband is also my doctor. His advice was "ice and motrin". It was okay to keep training. Mine actually felt better during the runs because I was warming them up. Even tried the Kinesio tape but that didn't really help.

Shin splints are an overuse injury. They won't heal until you rest the legs. I ran through the pain for training but dramtically decreased my distances after the half - no more than 5 miles. I'm a pronator, so I got better shoes at a running store and I haven't had them since.
  • raven56706
    Options
    see i changed my shoes and still hasnt made a difference... my situation is

got different running shoes, have custom orthodics, have the shin/calf sleeves..... even new freaking socks.... still have the pain