Training for 5k Question

Options
2»

Replies

• gleechick609
    Options
    Start the C25K or just start with intervals on your own (walk:run). Start with a (3:1) ratio and every week, increase your running by 30 seconds and decrease your walking by 30 seconds. Aim for a 30 minute workout and include a 5 minute warm-up and cooldown.The goal is to run 30 minutes without stopping, no matter how fast or slow you go. Be sure to check out Runnersworld.com for proper stretched. Get fitted for correct shoes.

I ran my first 5k on week 4 of C25K and finished in 41:03. I did my 6th 5k this past Saturday and finished at 32:49.
  • amayarnell
    amayarnell Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Jeff Galloway is a preacher/believer of running injury free.
    http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/5k.html

It was a great start for me and it used the run/walk method which can help you with your distance. I'm sure any running program is great!
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    interval training. Job for 5-10 minutes and then walk for 2 -5 minutes and repeat. Add time to your joging time as you see yourself getting better until you can job the whole thing. I also suggest working up to going a distance further then the distance you will be doing in your event the week before so there is not question that you can not make it. so push yourself to be able to go 5 miles the week before the event.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    OK I am reading a lot of interval training suggestions and C25K so I may start there. I am a big believer in not doing too much too soon, I like to avoid injury and pain. Many of these plans have time intervals. What did you find was a good way to keep track of you time you jog//walk in the intervals?

Steve Boyette has a podcast series called PodRunner (once a week updated music which is pretty much just trance beats and good to run to). He also has a set of mixes that are specifically timed to go with the C25K workouts, aptly named PodRunner: Intervals. You can download them all for free here: http://www.djsteveboy.com/1day25k.html

The Intervals mixes give you a timed audio cue whenever it's time to speed up or slow down, so it takes all the guess work out of it.

- OR -

If you get a GPS watch, most of the nicer models will allow you to program your own intervals and tell you when to slow down or speed up. The nicer Garmins do it, I'll assume the Polar models do as well.
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    OK I am reading a lot of interval training suggestions and C25K so I may start there. I am a big believer in not doing too much too soon, I like to avoid injury and pain. Many of these plans have time intervals. What did you find was a good way to keep track of you time you jog//walk in the intervals?

I started running outside, so I used blocks. Walk two, run two, repeat. Work up to run four, walk two. Then see if you can do a mile straight...
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I am definitely not a couch potato (I take my boys on 7.5 mile walks fairly regularly, and shorter walks of 2 to 4.5 miles more often, I can get on my stationary bike for 25-30 miles, I go 70 minutes on the gym elliptical, etc...). I just started couch to 5k, and honestly, I wouldn't have wanted to try any more running than it had me doing. I'm going to follow the program...

I got the app for my ipod. I put music on, and when it says run, I run. When it says walk, I walk...
  • ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I didn't follow either, though, and did what you mentioned - just run a bit, then walk a bit, then run, etc. I extended my running and shortened my walking until I could do a mile without stopping, then just kept going.

I did the same. I can now run up to 5 miles continuously through my subdivision.
  • alyciamarlene
    alyciamarlene Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Because running is such a high impact sport even though you're already in decent shape my advice would be don't push yourself too hard right off the bat! I know you already said you are a big believer in not doing too much too soon so that's great.

When I started running a lot of people said to just run until you need to walk then walk until you can run again. My issue with this was that you get tired when you start out running so I would run and then think wow I'm getting kinda sore so I'd stop and walk...and walk...and walk...and then decide that maybe I should run a little more. So instead I worked out time intervals.

Your first run you don't want to push it so I suggest run for 30 seconds, walk for 1 minute.
    Then gradually increase:
    Run 1 minute, walk 1 minute
    Run 2 minutes, walk 1 minute
    Run 3 minutes, walk 1 minute...
    ....Run 10 minutes, walk 1 minute (you get the picture)

Once you can run for ten minutes it's easier to then decide where you want to take your training, for example you can set distance goals. Even if you can run long distances it's best to do a combination of short runs and long runs throughout the week.

This is the plan I followed and it worked awesome for me so I hope it can help someone else out too!!
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I was a complete non-runner before I took it up. I had little patience for the Couch to 5K program so I just ran until I was tired then walked. I actually ran for 19 minutes the very first time I tried. If you're already in good cardiovascular shape, you'll likely be able to run longer than the C25K program 'permits'.
  • dee74
    dee74 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    OK I wanted to share my first few days of training and I would like some input or suggestions for improvement. Things are going well and my legs feel good I just want to be careful to avoid strain, stress, shin splints, etc. I am not even close to pushing it. At this point I could probably run most of the first mile without intervals but I am taking the advice of my running frineds and starting out with the intervals. All running is outside I do not have a treadmill. As I said any suggestions are welcome I am hoping to run a 5K on June 16.

Thurs 3/22 1.50 Miles in 17:11 I ran for 1 minute and walked for 30 seconds the entire time.

Fri 3/23 Rest

Saturday 3/24 1.50 miles in 15:58, I ran for 2 minutes and then walked 30 seconds and then ran 90 seconds and walked for 30 seconds for the remainder of the run.

Sunday 3/25 Walked 1.8 miles

Monday 3/26 1.80 miles in 20:43, I ran for 2 minutes and then walked 30 seconds and then ran 90 seconds and walked for 30 seconds for the remainder of the run except for a 2 min 30 sec run at the end

POSSIBLE FUTURE SCHEDULE

Tuesday 3/27 Wlak 2.0 miles

Weds 3/28 Run 2.0 miles Run 2 minutes walk 30 seconds

Thurs 3/29 Walk 2.0 Miles

Fri 3/30 Run 2.0 miles, run 2 minutes walk 30 seconds

Sat 3/31 Run 2.0 or more miles run 2 minutes walk 30 seconds.
  • dee74
    dee74 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? Anyone? :-)
  • TiffanyAching
    TiffanyAching Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    you're basically doing the c25k so i'd just follow that and it will give you the training schedule to build you up. maybe start on week 3/4 as you're clearly not a potato. you enjoying it?
  • caitwinmary
    Options
    I am currently training for my first 5k as well and what i would recommend is following hal higdons plan for the beginner 5k. its amazing you do long runs only three days a week starting at 1.5 miles and in between you have days you walk and days that you can run till you get tired and the just walk. It will gradually billed every week. its an 8 week program i am currently on my 5 week and up to 2.5 miles :) i hope this helps
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I have a question regarding training for a 5k. I will start by saying I have never tried running. I am in good shape fitness wise and have a great neighborhood for running. The loop is 3.4 miles so a little longer then a 5K. I can easily walk this distance and it is a good mix of hilly and almost flat. The training programs I see all assume you are a couch potato first. Any suggestions for where I am at. Should I just jog as much as I can and walk the entire thing everytime or should I go longer distances each time and just push the jog/run longer each time? Any advice is appreciated.

Personally, I would just go out and see how far I could run without stopping and then you will have a good indication where you are at.

If you can jog the whole lot without stopping or walking, you can concentrate on faster times. If, however, you find you need to stop and walk, just try to jog that little bit further each time you train and gradually the walking parts will shrink and before you know it, you will have run the whole distance.

It sounds as if you have the ideal setting for 5k training to be honest, near-on perfect actually.
  • jenronan1
    jenronan1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Start with the couch potato because that is your level for running. You can supplement with weight training. If you just go and run like you suggested you could end up with muscle strains/sprains/injuries. I have been teaching spin class for 7+ years and after a foot injury, couldn't run for awhile. When I went for a jog for the first time, after I went too long, my foot started to hurt and swell, had to take a few weeks off.