Thinking about Getting an Bodymedia FIT CORE Weight Manageme

Options
I was thinking of getting a Bodymedia FIT CORE Weight Management Fitness Device and I wanted to know if anyone else has one and what they think of it? I have heard a lot of positive reviews and with my love for knowing all about how much I burn a day and it being 95% effective, I think it is a great option for me. It will take all the hard work out of maintenance for me and that will help me tremendously. I am currently on maintenance and I love figuring out how much I burn daily and this would be great if it is as accurate as it says it is. What do you guys think? Do you have it? What do you think of it? I am very intrigued!

Replies

• spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I just got the bodymedia fit link. I like the bluetooth connection feature on my smartphone. I've only had it for 2 days, but I'm really loving it so far. It tells me how many steps I've taken, how many calories I'm burning and when and how I am sleeping.

I find it really comfortable and I don't notice that it is there most of the time. It is a little bigger than the core. The connection when I plug it into the computer is super fast and pulls up the data within 2 minutes.

I got mine because I am about 8 pounds from my goal and I would like to start being more fit and I have started lifting more weights. This gives me a more accurate count for the calories I am burning during weights and it tells me if I am really eating enough for the weight and goal I am trying to reach.

Hope that helps!
  • HavenIryxia
    HavenIryxia Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Did you happen to get the display as well? I was debating if I even needed it or not. I know if I have access to the site I shouldn't need it, but if you are out and about, having the display would be really cool. Idk, I am not sure if I should get that part of it as well. Or just try it out by itself and see if I really need it.
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I would like to hear that people got results with it that they would not have got otherwise! If I get one I'll probably do ebay.
  • helloimangela
    Options
    Absolutely one of the most useful tools for weight loss! I got mine as a birthday gift and it has really opened my eyes as to how many calories I burn throughout the day, whether I'm sleeping, working out or sitting at my desk at work. I always overanalyzed how many calories I was burning because I'd go off of the machine on the treadmill or the elliptical and now I know how off those calculations can be! Definitely worth it!!!
  • LilSomethin
    LilSomethin Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I have a BMF and LOVE it!! I've had mine for a year now and wear it all the time. I highly recommend it!! It is such a great insight to how many calories your body is burning and how much u can eat. I have successfully maintained my weight for a 8 months now and know its due to this handy little gadget.
    I do not have the one with the display. Didn't think it was worth the extra cash. I plug it in once a day and have all my stats immediately
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I am intrigued too. Mostly, I am seeing MFPs who are burning way more in their daily activity than they thought. I am upping my calories but if I had that kind of feedback it would be reassuring to eat over what MFP says is maintenance for me. I don't know how it works though, if it is like an HRM, or if it is more accurate, since HRM is not very accurate for strength training and can't really tell if I am raising my heart rate working my tricepts or if I am doing cardio.
  • LilSomethin
    LilSomethin Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I am intrigued too. Mostly, I am seeing MFPs who are burning way more in their daily activity than they thought. I am upping my calories but if I had that kind of feedback it would be reassuring to eat over what MFP says is maintenance for me. I don't know how it works though, if it is like an HRM, or if it is more accurate, since HRM is not very accurate for strength training and can't really tell if I am raising my heart rate working my tricepts or if I am doing cardio.

It gives u a minute by minute calorie burn so u can see how much u are burning for every little activity u do. It really opens your eyes and I think makes me more active. I love plugging it in at night to see how well I did that day.
  • Duckz1
    Duckz1 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I got a core two weeks ago. LOVE IT! It really motivates me to get up and do stuff, like take a walk around the office or take the stairs instead of the elevator because it all "counts" as exercise. Otherwise...who bothers logging taking the stairs? And how do your really know how many calories it burns anyway?

At first I really wanted the display, but now I think I'll pass. Supposedly it beeps a lot and you can't turn the sound off. Now that I have a decent idea of how many calories I'm burning throughout the day I don't have a burning desire to check it every ten minutes ;) I plug it into my computer maybe 2-3 times a day.

By the way, I got mine on ebay for $75 and even though it was used I was still able to get the 3 month free trial subscription.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I just got the LINK version last week and I'm in love with it! The stats it generates are very helpful for me. It records calorie burn and activity even when you're sleeping. I found that MFP and other online estimators were OVER estimating my calorie burn - probably because I have a very efficient body due to doing the same exercises so much. Using the BMF was quite eye-opening. I changed my calorie goals and noticed a difference within a couple of days.
  • mab33
    mab33 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I have the BMF Core and have been using it for the past month.

I love knowing how much I burn every day and it helps keep me honest. I know exactly how much food I need to eat to lose weight, which I find so very helpful.

I did not get the display because I heard it beeps and can't be turned off. I check it twice a day, once in the AM and once when I get home.

I opted not to get the link because it doesn't have an app for Blackberry, but that is one way you could go if you want up-to-date info.

Go for it! My whole family wants them now, including hubby and dad. Even mom (who has a bit to lose) was intrigued.
  • melbaby925
    melbaby925 Posts: 613
    Options
    I've used BodyBugg for over a year and just switched to the BMCore in December. LOVE this! It monitors sleep efficiency as well as everything the bodybugg did for me.

I wear it all day every day except for when I'm in the shower - it's helped a ton for me to figure out TDEE and where I'm at week to week. I use the activity manager on their site and put the calories burned into MFP and log diary entries here. Their food database isn't my favorite, I tried it for a while and kept coming back here.

I didn't get the display and I don't miss it - i just plug into the laptop when I take a shower and it updates everything and charges while I'm getting ready.

Edited to add comment about display.
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Can someone tell me how the Bodymedia compares to the Fitbit. I have been planning to buy a Fitbit as a reward for how much I have lost so far. Now I'm not so sure.
  • jlfred
    jlfred Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have the Bodymedia Fit (not the CORE), and it's been really helpful -- especially in realizing just how much I sit around at work. When I saw that it had registered that I had been asleep for part of the day, I knew I had to make more of an effort to get off my *kitten* during the day. As for excercise cals, there are some that are way under the estimates from the machines and/or MFP, and others that are actually over. I like having a more accurate accounting of what I did.

If you do want to buy one, you might be able to get a better deal on Ebay -- but be sure to compare whatever deal you're getting on there with the deal you get at Costco (on-line). It's a lot cheaper at Costco than anywhere else (except maybe ebay) plus you get 12 months free membership. Even if you get the 3 months free with your ebay purchase, it might still be cheaper to get a new one from Costco.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I love it. I got the half off deal through Groupon with first 3 months free. I wear it almost 24/7... just take it off during showers. It really is interesting to see your calorie expenditure for different activities. Gardening on the weekend was a huge burn! It's a great motivational and informational tool for me. My husband is curious about it now and wants to wear it :)

It seems to be the most accurate of all the ones I looked into buying. It's got the four different types of sensors and it measures sleep quality & quantity... giving you a total "sleep efficiency" number for the night, showing you how many hours you actually sleep out of the hours you are lying down. These were the reasons I bought it.

I think it's a great investment. At first, the subscription was a turn off... but then I realize how easily I spend even more than that on my monthly Netflix subscription... so, that put it into perspective!
  • gleechick609
    Options
    I bought the BodyMedia Advantage through a groupon offer. I have worn it for a week and it is pretty accurate to the numbers I get by calculating my own TDEE (BMR x fitness level = TDEE). I have to sync it to my computer everyday to see the results but I don't mind it. It takes 2 minutes, if that!

I don't like the food logging though. It doesn't have everything that MFP has. I just do an estimate calorie intake through BodyMedia.com.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    I got the FIT LINK, which is on sale right on Amazon, around $150. It arrived today, and I CANNOT WAIT to start using it!!! The LINK does not use the display because it is made to display on a smartphone via bluetooth. This is why I chose it over the core, because the display is another 80 bucks and the difference between the arm bands is only ~$25. Anyway, this thread is a perfect timing thing for me because I'm a little worried it will not be that good... It's a little comforting to see other MFPers who have had success with it!

Please feel free to add me to have a little BodyMedia club ;) haha :)
  • Shyloh1
    Shyloh1 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I have a BMF core without the display.

I thought about getting the display,but decided not to. I just plug my BMF into my laptop as well.

I love being able to see how many calories I burn a day.

Great investment!
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Did you happen to get the display as well? I was debating if I even needed it or not. I know if I have access to the site I shouldn't need it, but if you are out and about, having the display would be really cool. Idk, I am not sure if I should get that part of it as well. Or just try it out by itself and see if I really need it.

I didn't get the display because you don't really need it with the link. There is an app that you download on the phone and it updates constantly if you leave bluetooth on. Right now, they are both on sale, so you can get the link for the price the core was.
  • CandyAppleCockers
    CandyAppleCockers Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have one, have had it for over a year. Wear it, as I like to see how sleep, how much I walk, but didn't find it helped with weight loss. I was already active and still am. I needed to go keto foodwise to finally loose weight, and my bodymedia couldn't help with that,
  • mjn18
    mjn18 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    bump