hunger is dissapearing!

Options
Ever since I have started eating clean whole foods I found that I don't get very hungry anymore. I am having a hard time keeping my calories up to where they need to be.

It will be dinner time here in a few hours and i have only netted 586 calories with 1014 calories remaining for the day! I do cardio 5 days a week and strength training 3 days a week.

Does anyone who eats a mostly clean diet have any advice on how to up my daily calories in a healthy way?

So far for the day I have had eggs scrambled in a little coconut oil, a turkey patty, tons of veggies, mixed nuts, almond butter on a slice of whole grain bread and a large salad with a bit of dressing on it.. I am trying to stay away from dairy due to my PCOS

Thanks!! :smile:

Replies

• Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Cut out the bread on that list and it sounds like you have the makings of a real good base for getting healthier.
  • dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    Yep, and then so will the cravings for junk food too. If you can stick to it long enough, it will become a new lifestyle.
  • sjdoman
    sjdoman Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with eating bread! You might have some rice to add more calories its a good energy food. And maybe some fruit.
  • angelasmith230
    angelasmith230 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with eating bread! You might have some rice to add more calories its a good energy food. And maybe some fruit.

Thanks! :smile:

Sadly I need to watch my carb intake due to insulin resistance caused by the PCOS.. but maybe I could switch out the serving of bread for brown rice instead to add a few more calories
  • dododo123
    dododo123 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    A lot of people think this loss of hunger is a good thing, but I highly doubt that you not getting hungry after 600 calories is really a good thing... Why is your body not wanting more, when you clearly need more than 600 calories for it to sustain itself.
  • honestlysweet
    honestlysweet Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I love protein shakes! A scoop of why protein with half a banana and some fruity yogurt and skim milk and I'm in paradise!
  • Mom0fTwo
    Mom0fTwo Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    avocado, crackers and hummus, peanut butter, almonds, mango
  • Paulbp4
    Paulbp4 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    If you need to watch your carb intake, you have two real options for uping calories... It is actually really easy. Bake with/use EVOO more often. Cooking your chicken up in a skillet with a tbsp of olive oil will certainly help you increase the calories.

Also, feel free to indulge in more "high calorie" foods that are still clean. Such as nuts and nut butters. Do you enjoy avocado? There are tons of clean foods that are high in calories because they have a particularly high fat content, your real restriction is the carbs bc fruits are an esp fun and easy way to get calories!

A banana with a natural nutbutter wrapped up in a whole wheat tortilla (eziekel wrap if you want) used to be one of our favorite snacks!
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options

Except that she has PCOS and with that generally comes insulin resistance. Many times it should be suggested for those with PCOS, Insulin Resistance, and Hypothyroid to get tested for gluten intolerance/sensitivity as well and that bread could be causing hormonal side effects that are derailing any success in weight loss or health.

Also with PCOS and the other things that I mentioned, make sure to avoid soy and all soy products like the plague.
  • angelasmith230
    angelasmith230 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of the suggestions! :smile:

I might start planning my meals a little in advance just to make sure I can get closer to my daily calorie goal.

I don't know why I didn't think of avocado.. I love avocado even though I haven't had it in a while.

I guess I should add that I'm not restricting all carbs just limiting starchy carbs such as grains and starchy vegetables... trying to get most of my carbs from low sugar fruits and vegetables.
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I have the same thing. I went Primal/Paleo about 2 months ago and find I feel much better and eat much less.

Eggs and bacon for breakfast almost every day.
    I eat a lot of nuts and fruit throughout the day. Don't really do lunch.
    Dinner is some protein (fish, chicken, cow) and a salad or some steamed fresh veggies.
    Dark chocolate for dessert :) Can eat a nice bit (low sugar, high happiness) for under 20g carbs.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    you could stand to increase your oil a bit, use a tablespoon with your eggs, that's around 100 calories there

some oatmeal with dried fruit should give you around 200 calories

and then there's always protien powder, mix it with soy milk or almond milk, just be sure not to get whey protien if you've got a problem with dairy...

lentils are super healthy and they cook quickly, add some spinach and a spice blend and maybe even a bit more coconut oil at the end

and chocolate!
  • mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Avacados, olives, potatoes, sweet potatoes, steak, and olive oil.