12 months ago today I took control of my life (with pics)

Options
luci2403
luci2403 Posts: 28 Member
My story so far...

I had a routine doctors appointment and was told that I was 1.6 BMI away from being eligible for a stomach bypass or similar on the NHS. This was a huge shock to me! I’d always known I was overweight, I had been all my adult life, and even accepted that in BMI terms I was classed as obese – never for a second had a thought I was big enough to be considered for surgery.
The nurse that I saw really challenged me on my approach to food and exercise – food, of which I ate plenty and exercise, of which I did none!

I had no time for exercise – I work full time and have 3 children when on earth would I have time to exercise!! By the time I get in from work, have made the dinner, bathed and got the children to bed, made lunches for the following day, cleaned and tidied round it was most definitely time for bed! The challenge was to find only 20 / 30 minutes 3 times a week.

I went home in tears and cried all night about how fat I was – barely ate the whole weekend as I felt guilty. I spent the whole weekend re-evaluating my life.

What example was I setting for my children?
Did my husband really find me attractive anymore?
What did work colleagues think when I was eating chips at lunch time?

Is this how I wanted to live my life?

The answer to the last question was the easiest to answer and it simply was ‘NO’

On the Monday morning I made a decision to change. And that was all it was a decision. Your mind is a very powerful tool and when used properly can do amazing things. I logged into MFP, entered my details and began using it to count calories and exercise.

I weighed in at 212lb (15stone 2lb)
46.5” Bust
44” Waist
48.5” Hips

I had cereal for breakfast, a sliced chicken and pepperoni salad for lunch and Tuna pasta bake for dinner. During the day I stocked up on strawberries, grapes and an apple and WOW was I full. I even had enough calories for garlic bread with my pasta (I LOVE garlic bread!) I switched out diet coke during the day and only drank water – lots of it.

That evening when the children were in bed I put on my eldest’s Zumba game on the Wii and did a few songs – 17 minutes. Not quite the 20 minutes I’d been challenged to – but I did something! I went to bed that night so proud of what I’d done and how easy I’d found it. I’d dieted before, plenty of times in fact and never stuck to it and never felt this good.

Something was different – my mind was different. I was READY to change.

The next day the biggest thing that I told myself was – I did it the day before – I can do it today!

I was surprised at how easy it was to say NO to people offering food - cakes, biscuits, do-nuts. And at home I no longer wanted a glass of wine at the weekend, or a bag of crisps at lunch time and I haven’t eaten a chocolate bar in 12 months
I built myself up to be able to do 45 minutes of Zumba at home and even started to do it every day – I enjoyed it – I was less tired and had so much energy to play with the children – that can be addictive! What a great feeling!

My evening meal is most important to me as it’s family time so I do make sure I have the calories to eat the same as the rest of the household, it also saves making loads of different meals! I usually make double the quantity so that meals can be frozen and used on days when exercise is early to give me more time with the children. I only have bread once a day, fruit everyday and loads of water.

I joined a gym and go to an hour class on most days in the evenings – Zumba, Boxfit and Circuits – sometimes it’s hard, rushing and not spending that hour with the children but I think instead of the behaviour I’m giving them. When they grow up exercise will be a normal thing – Mum and Dad have always done it they’ll think. (My parents never exercised) I even completed a 3 mile run at the weekend :happy:

I use MFP every day and use the stories other people write as my motivator – along with another friend on here who has also done so well and who has inspired me

My family and friends have been so supportive and encouraging, and they are all so very proud of what I have achieved so far. I’m not finished with my journey and still have 2 stone to go. I’m no longer obese and am just ‘over weight’! But sure does feel great being in that bracket!

Food is not there to be a friend – it is only required as fuel. Use it a friend / comforter and it will only become an enemy.

Today, 12months in I weigh 168lb (12stone)
40” Bust
36” Waist
42.5 Hips

44lb lighter and 20.5 inches smaller!! :smile:

You control what goes in to your mouth. You are in control of your actions.

When you are ready weight loss is simple;

Eat less – move more!

Thanks for reading :happy:

Feb029.jpg

Feb028.jpg

004.jpg

001.jpg

Replies

• kducky22
    kducky22 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! I think a lot of people feel the same way with life being so crazy! Love this post and you are looking awesome!
  • parastiwari
    Options
    Wow.Congrats and Good luck with ur mission.
  • OliveJuice1984
    Options
    Fatastic! I love how you said "I did it the day before – I can do it today! " That is a great motivator and inspiring! Thank you for sharing!
  • YMark
    YMark Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: My hat is off. Keep up the great work.
  • Andrea_McQ
    Andrea_McQ Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Well done, you are looking really great and I'm sure you're feeling better too!

Can I ask how tall you are, your start weight is just 2lbs different to mine so I would imagine we're on a similar path.

I can imagine the shock you got, I also knew I was big but didn't actually realise I was into the obese category or how much over what I should be I was as I always have been big and don't know how it feels to be anything else! I also had a wake up call when I had gestational diabetes and was told that after the birth that because of that I have a 60% chance of developing type 2 diabetes in the future - increased by factors including being overweight/obese. I also knew that the diabetic diet I was on while pregnant made me feel so much better in myself that I wanted to continue that, and I wanted to be healthy for my girls. Combined, that's my motivation to do this and it's making me keep going where in the past I didn't even get this far! MFP helps too, makes me accountable for everything and makes tracking so easy. I've stopped saying "if" I lose this weight and started saying "when", that's when I knew it was working this time!
  • Ceffy
    Ceffy Posts: 235
    Options
    Wow hot mamma!!!
    Well done, so inspiring!
  • luci2403
    Options

Can I ask how tall you are, your start weight is just 2lbs different to mine so I would imagine we're on a similar path.

I can imagine the shock you got, I also knew I was big but didn't actually realise I was into the obese category or how much over what I should be I was as I always have been big and don't know how it feels to be anything else! I also had a wake up call when I had gestational diabetes and was told that after the birth that because of that I have a 60% chance of developing type 2 diabetes in the future - increased by factors including being overweight/obese. I also knew that the diabetic diet I was on while pregnant made me feel so much better in myself that I wanted to continue that, and I wanted to be healthy for my girls. Combined, that's my motivation to do this and it's making me keep going where in the past I didn't even get this far! MFP helps too, makes me accountable for everything and makes tracking so easy. I've stopped saying "if" I lose this weight and started saying "when", that's when I knew it was working this time!

I'm 5.3 - thanks for reading my journey

You are doing so well yourself and must be proud of what you have already achieved. I have the same motivation of being healthier for my children and setting a good example for as they grow up.
  • katythemommy
    katythemommy Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing your story. You are such an inspiration to me! You look absolutely gorgeous and cnogratulations on all your success!

I also LOVE you pink and black lingerie... where did you get it!!??
  • luci2403
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing your story. You are such an inspiration to me! You look absolutely gorgeous and cnogratulations on all your success!

I also LOVE you pink and black lingerie... where did you get it!!??

Thanks! :smile:

My lingerie is from Ann Summers :laugh:

You are also doing great - nearly a stone lost - Well done
  • Andrea_McQ
    Andrea_McQ Posts: 56 Member
    Options

I'm 5.3 - thanks for reading my journey

You are doing so well yourself and must be proud of what you have already achieved. I have the same motivation of being healthier for my children and setting a good example for as they grow up.
    Ah yeah we're similar height too, I'm 5'4.5". And I'm still a bit shocked that they even mentioned surgery to you!

Thank you for saying! I am starting to feel good about it now as I can feel a difference and even starting to see some changes! :-)

The girls are my biggest motivation really, being able to lift the baby and run after the 3yo, and it's getting a bit easier already. I haven't told the 3yo that I'm trying to lose weight or get smaller, and I try to encourage her to eat the healthier options by telling her she'll feel better as I'm so scared of her having issues around food and weight! She's very active though, and eats well with little encouragement so she'll probably be teaching me soon!

We'll get there, it's starting to become habit now and that can only be a good thing.
  • mrshoneybear1014
    mrshoneybear1014 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    That is a great accomplished!!!!!! i am lucky that I am not that busy for this moment in my life (I will be in 2 months) and it's great to see how you fit working out into your schedule!

Congrats and keep up the hard work!
  • tam823
    tam823 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Amazing story! Thanks for sharing! You look wonderful!
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Great story, thanks for sharing & Congratulations too.
  • keesh1123
    keesh1123 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Great story! I actually loved reading this! Your warmth comes through the computer screen. Congrats on your success. I bet you are one Zumba'ing machine! :)
  • laurielie
    laurielie Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    what a GREAT story!! God bless & keep it up......your so worth it!:flowerforyou:
  • kimtpa1417
    kimtpa1417 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    You look awesome..... thanks for sharing
  • Drizzt_d99
    Drizzt_d99 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Very well written.
    Great Job!!
  • AntShanny
    AntShanny Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your hard work! Thanks for sharing your journey.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!