Im a chocoholic...and its NOT true!! otherwise I wouldnt be on here....LMAO
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I wish!
  • jarrodc
    jarrodc Posts: 102
    Options
    It's "link bait" news. So, people who want to make money that have little regard for their audience write it.
  • careyharv
    careyharv Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    It is very misleading. The study says they asked people how often they ate chocolate - I didn't see that they asked how much chocolate. Having one Hershey's kiss, once a day, three days a week and yeah - no biggie. Having a whole bag of kisses as a meal once a week - now that is different. I hate "studies" like that - seems like they could have used the money somewhere else.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    First of all, correlation does NOT mean causation. Second of all, there are so many confounding variables that making that leap makes them sound like an idiot.

Why yes, I am taking two stats classes right now. Does it show?
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Just like all the commercials like

"People who eat whole grains weigh less than those that don't"
    "Women who eat the Special K breakfast weight less than others that don't"

I'm sure I have a few more in my brain somewhere, but those are the most idiotic that I can pull out right now.
  • Anomalia
    Anomalia Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    First of all, correlation does NOT mean causation. Second of all, there are so many confounding variables that making that leap makes them sound like an idiot.

You are correct and yes it does show.
  • ladyshine2011
    Options

OK, you made me literally laugh out loud!! :laugh:
  • sofitheteacup
    sofitheteacup Posts: 397 Member
    Options

Yup. Only thing that needs to be said: correlation =/= causation!
  • Neequie
    Neequie Posts: 48
    Options
    Uuuuhhhh probably the chocolate industry! I love chocolate, but it never kept my weight down!! UGH!!
  • babybluefire
    babybluefire Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Egh. I work mini cadbury eggs in my food budget sometimes. I have gone over by accident one day out of 30. That was not on chocolate, that was a mini (store bought) chicken pot pie that had a startling amount of calories.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    People that fart more contribute to global warming.

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • tldust
    tldust Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Ummm....yeah. That's the thing about studies...you can make statistics say whatever you want them to say. The study was probably paid for by Godiva or something. I'm come from a family of frequent chocolate eaters. We're all fat. Lies. Lies. All Lies.
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I'll take any reason to eat more chocolate, true or not ;)
  • ForeverIrish
    ForeverIrish Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    The same people that advertise that Nutella is a nutritious choice for breakfast!

As for flatulence...The government actually did a study to measure how much bovine flatulence contributes to global warming.
  • Grandysl
    Grandysl Posts: 189
    Options

I recently heard "when tortured, numbers can be made to say anything."

Similar to: "There are lies, damn lies, and statistics."
  • NancyNiles
    NancyNiles Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I saw a "health segment" on the news last week saying that popcorn was better for you than fruits and vegetables because it contains more antioxidants. Whatever. But did they show a bag of low-fat microwave popcorn or air-popped, or even stove-popped from raw kernels?? NO! They shows a movie attendant dumping a quart of artery-clogging nasty *kitten* oil all over a bag of sodium-laden popcorn. Yeah, very healthy!
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Im a chocoholic...and its NOT true!! otherwise I wouldnt be on here....LMAO

I'm with you on this for sure!

In fact, I would even go so far as to say that if that were true, I would be the skinniest person, truly.

Oh, how I adore chocolate (bloody addictive though, innit)