Cheese Curds Swap

Options
If you are from Minnesota (or begrudgingly, Wisconsin), I'm sure you know and love (or hate that you love) cheese curds. For all of those not from the north, cheese curds are bite-size pieces of cheese deep-fried and amazing. It really is as good, and as caloric, as it sounds.

I was browsing Pinterest-land this morning and stumbled on this gem: http://www.justaddasliceoflove.blogspot.com/2011/09/baked-cheese-balls.html

A lot of people have had problems with theirs so this is my version which came out PERFECTLY:

2 2% Cheese Sticks
1 tsp Bread Crumbs
1 pinch Garlic and Herb Seasoning
1 tsp Skim Milk

Stick the cheese sticks in the freezer for the entire time it takes to preheat your oven to 425 degrees. For me ,that's 6 minutes.

While the oven is preheating, mix up the bread crumbs and seasoning in a shallow bowl or on a plate. I poured the milk into a shot glass which worked really well. Cover a cookie sheet with foil and spray with butter-flavored cooking spray.

Cut up each cheese stick into five pieces. Dip in milk and roll in bread crumbs. Place on prepared cookie sheet.

Cook for three minutes and then flip each piece over. Cook for 1 minute and thirty seconds more.

Remove, eat, and feel cheesy-goodness bliss for 140 calories (5.2 g of fat, 16.8 g of protein)*.

Notes: do NOT use full-fat cheese. I've heard that it just melts right away.

*I know that these are a high-fat snack but look at that protein! Also, if you were to eat an equal number of cheese curds (2 oz), the nutritionals would be: 223 c, 18.2 g of fat, 14.2 g of protein (taken from CalorieKing.com). Most orders are triple the size of this, though, and are you really going to stop at 10 pieces?

People eat cheese curds with a variety of dipping sauces such as ketchup, marinara, and ranch dressing. I prefer just the cheesy goodness but let me know if you come up with any variations or other ideas!

Also, these were easy enough for me that I could say 'NO' to the bar food and make them for myself after a night out (if you know what I mean).

Replies

• btor
    btor Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    A Wisconsin girl here... my favorite part about this recipe is that you managed to incorporate a shot glass. :) Perfect!
  • ajh1014
    ajh1014 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    YUM! I miss Culvers! I know they have some great salads but the other temptations there are just too much.
  • cassuccino
    cassuccino Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Why is it impossible to get *real* cheese curds in any other state other than Wisconsin, Minnesota and Michigan? (OK, maybe Illinois? I have no idea.) I miss *real* cheese curds. =(
  • sofitheteacup
    sofitheteacup Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Keep seeing commercials for A&W cheese curds and they look so good. Also keep seeing this recipe on Pinterest. Didnt realize the correlation til now. I'll have to try this.

Also, mad props on the use of the shot glass ;)
  • Hernandeak11
    Hernandeak11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Wisconsin girl who wants to murder someone every time i go to culver's now and can't get cheese curds! with ranch!
  • brittanylock09
    brittanylock09 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm not from up north and I LOOOOOVE cheese curds!!! (Well, I do have family from up north... MI, MN, and WI lol)
  • MILFdoesabodyGd
    MILFdoesabodyGd Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I live in ohio but saw in the frozen food section at walmart some cheese curds. I've had them from wisconsin as well. I ALMOST bought them at walmart...
  • alyson820
    alyson820 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I've only ever had cheese curds in poutine mmmm. I didn't know people ate them fried.

That sounds so good.
  • twiglips
    twiglips Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    yum - I ate so many of the deep fried kind in Wisconsin. Can't wait to try these!
  • tobiwood1977
    Options
    YUM! I miss Culvers! I know they have some great salads but the other temptations there are just too much.

Culvers has the best frozen custard ever! I didnt even know what it was being from the West Coast... When I finally move back to the West Coast - the only thing i will miss is Culver's!