How would hookah (shisha) inpact health?

Options
Mr_Cape219
Mr_Cape219 Posts: 1,345 Member
Hey I am curious to know how shisha for hookah smoking would impact your health. I was told that it's water filtered and so it is not as bad as somking straight tabacco. But what about the other stuff? Shisha is dipped in a mixture of honey, molassis, and fruit preserves. What does that look like sugar intake wise? By smoking it, do you get those values into your body too?

While I am at it, anyone know of any good combos for great hookahs? I know of iced coffee instead of water and coffee flavored shisha tastes like an amazing cup of joe, anyone else have great ideas?

Replies

• lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Hey I am curious to know how shisha for hookah smoking would impact your health. I was told that it's water filtered and so it is not as bad as somking straight tabacco. But what about the other stuff? Shisha is dipped in a mixture of honey, molassis, and fruit preserves. What does that look like sugar intake wise? By smoking it, do you get those values into your body too?

While I am at it, anyone know of any good combos for great hookahs? I know of iced coffee instead of water and coffee flavored shisha tastes like an amazing cup of joe, anyone else have great ideas?

Can't help you with the combos other than just recommending mixing flavors. Iced coffee might be cool though. As far as the health effects...smoking of any kind is bad for your lungs. But I don't think there has been nearly as much research done on shisha as there has been on other products. Seeing as it doesn't have the tar or nicotine in it (to my knowledge) I'd say its at least better than cigs...I used to go to hookah bars even before I smoked cigs (Though now I've stopped smoking anything at all). I'd imagine sugar wouldn't be transferred through smoke....but hard to say I suppose.
  • Mr_Cape219
    Options
    yea I was wondering about how the smoke affects you. I know there is like a pinch of natural nicotene in tabacco, but as far as tar goes, I thought that was filtered through teh water. The smoke is sweet and falvored so I didnt know if that sugar was.. inhale-able??

edit: I guess not alot of people on the boards smoke hookah
  • gettheledout3372
    gettheledout3372 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't imagine you can inhale any nutritional value from the shisha (sp?), as you can't absorb nutrients unless it enters your digestive system. Research on hookah smoking is more limited than on cigarette smoking, but what research there is indicates it's still pretty awful for you: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hookah/AN01265

Hope this helps!
  • Mr_Cape219
    Options
    I wouldn't imagine you can inhale any nutritional value from the shisha (sp?), as you can't absorb nutrients unless it enters your digestive system. Research on hookah smoking is more limited than on cigarette smoking, but what research there is indicates it's still pretty awful for you: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hookah/AN01265

Hope this helps!

woah damn..
  • usedasbrandnew
    usedasbrandnew Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Okay... I don't know the negatives. But I figure if it's like a once or twice a week thing, not illegal, and you enjoy it... :) Everything in moderation, especially if it helps you not smoke cigarettes or ah ehm other munchie inducing substances. lol

I like apricot, cherry, and grape mixed together with regular water. They call it a fruit roll up at my local hookah bar. :) I like any of the fruit flavors really. They use Coke or other flavors of sodas at mine. Vanilla and cherry with a Coke base is delicious. :)
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options

Hope this helps!

woah damn..

Yep! I was going to say that it is not very good for you. We had a "shisha party" last year (formally called a Middle Eastern party when we were advertising it on campus), and I was the only one--including the professor who showed up--that did not smoke the shisha, and I was VERY tempted to do it. I read that it can be even worse for you than smoking cigarettes though, so I decided to resist.
  • stablesong
    stablesong Posts: 224
    Options
    Along with everything in that Mayo Clinic article, I can imagine smoking would take a toll on your lungs and affect your ability to do much cardio. It happens with cigarettes, and I'm sure with pot too.

I used to smoke pot every now and then, and even with just occasionally smoking, I noticed my breathing wasn't as nice as it could be. I've only tried hookah once and the flavor was too strong for me, and it made me get sick immediately after. I think that generally, inhaling smoke into your lungs is pretty detrimental, and that's not even including all the chemicals and toxins it's loaded with.
  • lynheff
    lynheff Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    The Centers for Disease Control website has a good bit of info on the topic. As an RN I have found them to be a reliable source in the past. Hope they answer your questions. .
  • mzliz90
    mzliz90 Posts: 1
    Options
    I do every now and then. Its not the same as cigarettes. For filters try milk or fruit juices
  • krista896
    krista896 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I've tried using orange juice in place of water, but I can't remember the shisha flavor though, also try wine with a grape, apple or anything that complements the specific blend of your wine of choice.

As for the the smoke, I don't know how the additives in the shisha affect the body, but people allover the world have been smoking hookah for generations and if it was that horrible for the body there would be more of an uproar about it.

Happy smoking!
  • BrienJD
    BrienJD Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation, especially if it helps you not smoke cigarettes or ah ehm other munchie inducing substances. lol

:laugh:
  • brittanidigby
    brittanidigby Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    It's just as bad as cigarettes but I smoke shisha everyday. lol Also I like to add wine or liquors in mine but I rarely do now.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

The water actually doesn't filter anything. Smoking any tobacco substance is harmful to your health.
  • plushkitten
    plushkitten Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I don't have an answer for your first question

But try rootbeer instead of water. It tastes great :D
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I knew this hookah named Big Rhonda. We called her RDubs. Anyways, she'd impact your health, I'm pretty sure.
  • jen1127
    jen1127 Posts: 19
    Options
    I knew this hookah named Big Rhonda. We called her RDubs. Anyways, she'd impact your health, I'm pretty sure.

^^LMAO!!!!
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I put few drops of clove oil in the water. Talk about a high. So yummy.

I miss my hooka.
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    any kind of smoking is bad. I like the tobacco fee shisha, stronger/fruitier taste without the niccotine and tar :s. try doing mint water with watermelon shisha. yum!
  • evansproudmama
    Options
    In highschool we would put cheap vodka in the base of the hookah with ice cubes instead of water... watch out though you will get drunk haha
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options

LOL!