I joined the Gym today and need suggestions!!!

Options
I'm not new to working out! I played football and have lifted heavy most of the time! I need to go in a different direction this time because lifting heavy for me is really no longer an option! I need to shed weight and tone up! I'm able to work out MWF! Suggestions?????? AND GO!

Replies

• japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    If you are out of shape start with cardio and light weights. Alternate cardio and weights doing at least 3 days of cardio and 2 days of weights. Start slow to see what you can do and build up by adding speed, incline, time, resistance and weight every week. Good luck.
  • JSheehy1965
    JSheehy1965 Posts: 404
    Options
    Perhaps you should speak to someone at the gym? I signed up at my gym and signed up to speak to a fitness instructor who went through my goals with me, what I wanted to do and to make sure I had no previous injuries (I do - rotator cuff) and helped me work out a plan 3 times a week. After a few weeks, we will meet up again and revise. Most gyms should have someone there who can help :) And good luck!!
  • antoniosmooth
    antoniosmooth Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    With heavy lifting being out of the question can you conduct resistance training workouts and body weight workouts?

Because you were a Football player you make like intervals on the treadmill (remember the 40 runs?) and possibly rowing machines, and the stationary bike.

I'm going to assume you can't conduct ANY free weight exercises so I'll suggest these body weight exercises for strength training.

Pushups
    Crunches, Situps, and Pilates type of exercises
    Light weight Cable Crossover (Will simulate Resistance Bands)
    Pull ups (under hand and over hand) (A few gyms now have Pull up machines)
    Light weight Lat Pull down
    Light weight Leg Extension
    Light weight Leg Curls
    Light weight Leg Press
    Butterfly machine (Light weight will simulate resistance bands)

If you don't mind me asking why is heavy lifting out of question?
  • amie0724
    amie0724 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Take it slow ....do alot of cardio and then gradually add weights in at your comfort level . dont expect instant results , stay focused and burn those calories to get lean ! Pilates are really good for definition and toning muscles , even some building ...p90x had some of pilates in their video , i was shocked
  • careyharv
    careyharv Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Since you know how to lift, it seems you are looking for a routine. My sister uses the female version of New Rules of Lifting. They have a book for men. Maybe it can give you ideas on setting up your routine. Below is a link:

http://www.thenewrulesoflifting.com/new-rules-of-lifting
  • mwcraig34
    mwcraig34 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    With heavy lifting being out of the question can you conduct resistance training workouts and body weight workouts?

Because you were a Football player you make like intervals on the treadmill (remember the 40 runs?) and possibly rowing machines, and the stationary bike.

I'm going to assume you can't conduct ANY free weight exercises so I'll suggest these body weight exercises for strength training.

Pushups
    Crunches, Situps, and Pilates type of exercises
    Light weight Cable Crossover (Will simulate Resistance Bands)
    I have bad knees and I really want shred the fat and look tone!!!
    Pull ups (under hand and over hand) (A few gyms now have Pull up machines)
    Light weight Lat Pull down
    Light weight Leg Extension
    Light weight Leg Curls
    Light weight Leg Press
    Butterfly machine (Light weight will simulate resistance bands)

If you don't mind me asking why is heavy lifting out of question?

I tore my ACL in my right knee and as I have gotten older it has given me issues! I can lift heavy if I want to but I want to try something new!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Cardio and use the machines. I am unable to lift heavy due to injuries, so I use the machines instead.
  • lizzytish2002
    lizzytish2002 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Try a zumba class its a great way to tone up and get cardio (and meet women if you are single).
  • mwcraig34
    Options
    Ok
  • pomme100
    pomme100 Posts: 5
    Options
    Get the help of a personal trainer for the first few classes or at least until you are comfortable with knowing you are maintaining the correct form and using free weights properly. Also, when lifting weights, the slower you lift the better your workout will be for you. You want to build strength and lean muscle, not momentum. Also, a rowing machine gives a good total body workout. Good luck.
  • mwcraig34
    Options
    Try a zumba class its a great way to tone up and get cardio (and meet women if you are single).

Not single but thanks anyway!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    what about spinning, zumba, salsa dancing and water aerobics if your gym has it?
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 or starting strength!
    3 days a week!
    Easy as pie.
    Walk on off days and youll do great!
  • careyharv
    careyharv Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I tore my ACL in my right knee and as I have gotten older it has given me issues! I can lift heavy if I want to but I want to try something new!
    [/quote]

Ah I have the same issue. It sucks. I would suggest starting out with body exercises instead of weights. Stationary lunges - no walking lunges until stronger - can help the muscles around the knee. If you use the leg extension machine - go REALLY light and change the range of motion to less than 35 degrees of movement (if that makes sense).

One of my favorite leg exercises is below. Look for the video with the single squat leg. It may look easy but it is great for the leg. See if your gym has these straps.

http://www.trxtraining.com/connect/blog/category/exercises-workouts/
  • mwcraig34
    Options
    what about spinning, zumba, salsa dancing and water aerobics if your gym has it?

Thank you but I'm looking more for weight training!
  • antoniosmooth
    antoniosmooth Posts: 299 Member
    Options

Ouch torn ACL well forget about what I said regarding leg press, leg extension, and leg curls, obviously squats as well.
  • mrshoneybear1014
    mrshoneybear1014 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I highly suggest couch to 5k!
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options

Ah I have the same issue. It sucks. I would suggest starting out with body exercises instead of weights. Stationary lunges - no walking lunges until stronger - can help the muscles around the knee. If you use the leg extension machine - go REALLY light and change the range of motion to less than 35 degrees of movement (if that makes sense).

One of my favorite leg exercises is below. Look for the video with the single squat leg. It may look easy but it is great for the leg. See if your gym has these straps.

http://www.trxtraining.com/connect/blog/category/exercises-workouts/

BTW, to elaborate on the post above... if you go through the full range of motion, the leg extension puts a shear force on your knee in a way that would pull on the ACL... if you had one (or your graft if you had a reconstruction and it's still intact). It also crams the back of your knee cap into the thigh bone. I'd stick with leg press or Smith machine squats > 90 deg of knee bend if you chose to go this route. You can do just the last 35 degrees on the knee extension machine, but you may not feel that you're getting a workout that way.

Hamstring curls are fine and the hamstrings actually work in the same direction as the ACL, so they're very important to work when you have an ACL deficiency. Be sure to do them at different speeds -- heavier weights with slow reps; lighter weight with a fast "bend" and slow "straighten" will help get you back to running if that's a goal.
  • davegruper
    davegruper Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I hired a trainer for 10 sessions to learn exercises that are tailored to my capabilities and health/fitness goals. Turned out to be a great decision for me. I would suggest you do the same.
  • mwcraig34
    Options
    BTW, to elaborate on the post above... if you go through the full range of motion, the leg extension puts a shear force on your knee in a way that would pull on the ACL... if you had one (or your graft if you had a reconstruction and it's still intact). It also crams the back of your knee cap into the thigh bone. I'd stick with leg press or Smith machine squats > 90 deg of knee bend if you chose to go this route. You can do just the last 35 degrees on the knee extension machine, but you may not feel that you're getting a workout that way.

Hamstring curls are fine and the hamstrings actually work in the same direction as the ACL, so they're very important to work when you have an ACL deficiency. Be sure to do them at different speeds -- heavier weights with slow reps; lighter weight with a fast "bend" and slow "straighten" will help get you back to running if that's a goal.

I was running 2 to 3 miles every other day and the knee started giving me trouble! Saw the doc and found out I have degenerative arthritis so running is out! I can use the elliptical though because it is no impact!

I'm too poor to afford a Personal Trainer! Thats why I'm asking questions on here!