Girlie Issues

Options
Sorry if this is too much information, but I have cramps and pms bad. I am in so much pain during my girlie time that I can't seem to make it through the day let alone do any exercising. I was hoping some ladies could give suggestions to make the cramps or cravings less??

I know, I know, drink lots of water, and exercise regularly. I already do that, I run almost everyday EXCEPT during my girlie time. So... any light exercise suggestions or yummy recipes would be most appreciated.

:sad: :sick: :explode: :yawn:

Replies

• gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Take a long slow walk. Running always makes me hurt more. Walking really slowly and just taking your time helps me. Take a camera and walk around a park taking pictures of pretty things you see. It'll keep you distracted enough and moving enough that the pain seems less.

Oh and taking an Anaprox never hurt either lol
  • gettinfitmama
    gettinfitmama Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    What about some stretching exercises? Lately I have been recording exercises from FitTv and working out to those. There is a GREAT stretching one. I would think Yoga or Pilates would be good and not too painful?

A warm bath may help too?

And what about making the Hungry Girl Peanut Butter cups for those cravings. Yummy and not too bad on the calories! (Look around in the recipe section...some posted them last week, I think.)

Good luck.
  • belldandy1
    belldandy1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I love skinny cow ice cream during that time of the month for the chocolate cravings, or Lindt 70% cocoa chocolate. Also, taking a daily calciium magnesium supplement is supposed to reduce cramping and pms. I am not sure if that works. Walks help. I personally recommend birth control though. I am on the Nuva ring and I only have a period every 2 to 3 months (you just leave it in for the full month instead of taking it out to have a period) it also makes periods much lighter when you do have them.
  • RecliningFigure
    RecliningFigure Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    When I was young, like you, I also had terrible cramps. The only thing that made them go away, and allowed me to get out of bed was drugs. Sadly, Advil, Motrin, and the like were the only things that helped me. But once I took the drugs, I could do the normal things that I did. I didn't feel too bad taking the drugs, since I almost never take them for anything else, not for headaches, not for body pains. Only took them for two things that were really unbearable: Bad cramps, and toothaches. This may be a question for your doctor. I'm sure they've come much further since back in the day....
  • pattitricia85
    Options
    I used to get cramps so bad i would throw up (i don't anymore since i am on the pill). I know the thought of it is awful when you have them but really the best thing is to move around. I took aerobics in high school and when i was having cramps it felt like i would never survive if worked out but i always felt better!
  • bbear
    bbear Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    The therma care heat patches help a lot...and if you can get around to doing anything that gets your blood pumping, it may help ease those cramps. I second the long slow walk idea and listen to some greatt music and sing along to help forget about the pain. Also don't forget to drink tons of water if you do opt to take pain meds. Good luck.
  • barbarella
    barbarella Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    aahhhhhh the joys of PMS! :love:

Menopause wasn't exactly my idea of fun,
    but now I'm out of the woods on both....... wheeee!
    Something to look forward to Girls!! :drinker: :bigsmile:

Anyway, things that used to help me:
    - hot water bottle, staying warm
    - big doses of calcium, 1500mg or more a day
    - avoid sugar & chocolate (NOOOOO! not that!)
    - avoid caffeine, esp. coffee
    - avoid milk & dairy products (in general)
    - avoid processed/junk/fried food (in general)

I feel your pain Sistah! Be Well! :flowerforyou:
  • acrylicrocks
    Options
    I tried to do a slow walk but I only lasted about 15 minutes and the stretching was maybe another 15, so that didn't do much for me and the bath just made me feel less gross. I'd be more concerned but I just saw my doctor-chick two weeks ago and she said I was ok just "getting a little older" eek! (I'm 28). I also just switched to a different birth control pill. I am generally miserable but I appreciate the fast responses!
  • bwilton77
    bwilton77 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have the same problems. I get bad backaches, headaches, and cramps during my monthly visit. I also get to where I feel hungry all of the time. I got a heated back massager that does wonder and found that Excedrin PMS works pretty well with the cramps but I do have to double the dosage ( I know its not recommended but it works). For the cravings I found a great tea by celestial seasonings called english toffee its sweet and takes care of that nastly sweet tooth. The only exercise I do during that time of month is stretches and walking ( I got a video called total body stretch that works pretty well) good luck.
  • 2blakefield
    Options
    I feel your pain! I use to be able to count on at least 6 days a month of heavy bleeding and serious cramps. I went to to my doctor to talk about options 2 months ago. I haven't called him back because my periods/pain have seriously diminished. The only thing that has changed are the supplements I am taking. The ones that have supposed beneficial effects for women(that I am currently taking) are:

Calcium
    Kelp
    Evening Primrose Oil
    Black cohash
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    aahhhhhh the joys of PMS! :love:

Menopause wasn't exactly my idea of fun,
    but now I'm out of the woods on both....... wheeee!
    Something to look forward to Girls!! :drinker: :bigsmile:

Anyway, things that used to help me:
    - hot water bottle, staying warm
    - big doses of calcium, 1500mg or more a day
    - avoid sugar & chocolate (NOOOOO! not that!)
    - avoid caffeine, esp. coffee
    - avoid milk & dairy products (in general)
    - avoid processed/junk/fried food (in general)

I feel your pain Sistah! Be Well! :flowerforyou:

Wow... that takes away everything I want to ingest during TOM. Ugh. :explode: :laugh:
  • nursegirl79
    nursegirl79 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    To ease the pain you can take 400mg ibuprofen(advil) every 4 hours. It help with inflammation which also helps lighten you period a bit. If you do take the ibuprofen make sure you eat something with it. It can be harsh to the stomach especially if you have a sensitive one. You could also ask your MD. If you have severe cramps they will usually prescribe you 800mg ibuprofen 3 x day during your cycle. Caution: Do NOT take 800mg ibuprofen unless your MD prescribes it because it is a prescription dose and NEVER take more than 2400mg in a 24 hour period.

I know this may sound crazy but what also helps me relax when the cramps are bad is to lay on the floor with you feet on the couch and apply warm compress to lower abdomen.

Hope you feel better soon:flowerforyou:
  • laurajoyk
    laurajoyk Posts: 305
    Options
    I have horrible cramps too, but its usually only the first couple days. I barely want to move when I'm having them let alone exercise also. I like to put a heating pad on my lower tummy to make the pain less along with taking advil or tylenol. :grumble: Or my chihuahua sits on my lap and is a heating pad LMAO.

For cravings I usually crave chocolate or salt. Try getting no sugar added swiss miss hot chocoate, sugar free jello pudding cups, or even the low calorie fudge bars there are like 4 brands that are good. For salt I either buy a bag of the chip varieties that are individually bagged. I don't buy them often otherwise I would eat them all, but they totally take away the salty cravings. Or cheezits one hundred calorie right bights are good too.

Hope that helps.
  • annerssju
    annerssju Posts: 111
    Options
    I don't know if you'd want to do this, but I used to get insanely painful cramps, bloating, pms, etc. until I went on the Pill. After that, they got so much lighter and easier to deal with. I hardly get any cramps now, but I remember them vividly - I feel for you!
    Before I went on the pill the Dr. prescribed Naproxen, and that helped for a while.
    GOOD LUCK!
  • annerssju
    annerssju Posts: 111
    Options
    Sorry, just read the rest of the posts, you are already on the Pill - maybe if you switched?? Good luck and feel better soon!
  • JanelleWood
    Options
    ha okay so go to the health store and but "CrampBark" i use it and it kills cramps like on the spot almost
  • lulubenmom
    Options
    I had them very badly & discovered I had endometriosis. I had two operations and still had cramping. I was meant to have another operation but was put off by the 1st two. So I tried a nutritionist. She had me change my diet and take a range of supplements. This helped and before long I no longer had cramping AND was able to fall pregnant. The most noticable mineral that helped was Magnesium. I bought the liquid Floridax form and it was like taking a pain killer pill.
  • igmom
    igmom Posts: 90
    Options
    See your doctor and ask about anaprox.