Ladies with BRIGHT HAIR!!! Question!

Options
This is only fitness related because now that I work out every day, I feel like washing my hair every day...but then the color washes out :(

Anyone have any tips on how to reduce color loss? I was thinking of maybe using herbal rinses....or is there such a thing as a color shampoo for bright colors (I"m talking manic panic here!)

Replies

• afj89
    afj89 Posts: 17
    Options
    I'm no hair pro by any means, but use a more permanent dye?
  • Sleekit
    Sleekit Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    use mild shampoos/conditioners that are made for colored hair. Also use LESS soap when you do wash it.
  • ThePunkHippie
    Options
    I got an AMAZING colour additive called 'No Gray' that is holding my colour in beautifully - the bottom 6" of my hair are fried from bleaching & dying, & the last time I dyed my hair, the colour faded from that area within a month. My red is going strong after about 3 months with hardly any fading!
  • ThePunkHippie
    Options
    Also, if you want it to last, STOP using manic panic. That stuff is crap. I've had 3 colours completely rinse out in less than a month by them.
  • FlynnMacCallister
    FlynnMacCallister Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    You could try a dry shampoo.... but I'm not a fan of them personally. I make my colour last longer by using a mild shampoo and watering it down. If it's mostly sweat and not built-up scalp grease you're washing out, you hardly need any shampoo to get it clean.

(Uhm, oh, incidentally, I'm wearing a wig in my profie pic. I actually have a white-blonde mohawk at the moment with peach-pink tips. XD)
  • boobookittyx
    Options
    i have purple in my hair i used pravana that stuff lasts for about 2-3 weeks til i have to re do it which is awesome and i use different brands of shampoo from bed head to paul mitchell. store brands/cheap shampoos are the worse for your hair and will damage/wash out the color right away.
  • usedasbrandnew
    usedasbrandnew Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I used to have bleach blonde hair with Neon Red stripes, I used the redken color shampoo. I think it's in a red bottle, not sure of the name but salons sell it. :)
  • Millefleur
    Millefleur Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    If your hair is all one colour try adding a little to the conditioner so you're topping it up each time.
  • riannenrings
    riannenrings Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    red is super hard to keep bright. they do make color shampoos and conditioners or color care products that are supposed to make it last longer. my sister is a cosmetologist and she preaches that all hair products should be sulfate free.
  • nero82
    nero82 Posts: 27
    Options
    I'd recommend switching to a sulphate free shampoo. Sodium Lauryl Sulphate is a surfectant, and I found it stripped the colour out really fast. (pretty much EVERY shampoo that doesnt advertise itself as SLS free will have loads of it in.)
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    You could try a dry shampoo.... but I'm not a fan of them personally. I make my colour last longer by using a mild shampoo and watering it down. If it's mostly sweat and not built-up scalp grease you're washing out, you hardly need any shampoo to get it clean.

(Uhm, oh, incidentally, I'm wearing a wig in my profie pic. I actually have a white-blonde mohawk at the moment with peach-pink tips. XD)

Pink mohawk???? I think I just swooned!
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I don't have bright hair (but good God I wish I did...I've wanted hot pink hair ever since Gwen Stefani did it), but even though I work out a lot I wash my hair maybe every 2 days or so. Dry shampoo is my best friend! Maybe that will help?

There is a girl at my gym who has neon blue hair that's almost white blonde at the roots. I'm so insanely jealous of her.

Unfortunately my job isn't too fond of the bright hair :( I just barely got away with having a tattoo down my forearm.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    It took me a couple of weeks to figure this one out too.
    First, and most important, use the coldest water you can to wash. I actually bend over and use a hand-held shower nozzle so I can use freezing cold water without it touching the rest of me. Hot water opens up the cuticles, and when you are using a vegan application like Manic Panic (which I adore), it's mostly just laying on top of your hair, and with open cuticles it'll rinse right out. It's much more gentle, but it washes out easily, so no more hot showers unless you are wearing a shower cap or keeping your head out of the water.
    Next, switch to a gentle shampoo. If it lathers, it isn't gentle enough. Look for the super herbal ones with no detergents.
    Third, try doing a co-wash. That's washing with conditioner. You just get it on your fingertips and scrub the oil off of your scalp. This method probably won't work if you have greasy hair, but if it's dyed, it's probably dry.
    To sum it up, cold water only, and cut down how often you wash it. I only use shampoo twice a week.
    Good luck! I love my purple, but I sure do miss my scalding hot showers after hard runs.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend switching to a sulphate free shampoo. Sodium Lauryl Sulphate is a surfectant, and I found it stripped the colour out really fast. (pretty much EVERY shampoo that doesnt advertise itself as SLS free will have loads of it in.)

^^this. though I don't have BRIGHT hair, mine looks and feels better since I switched to an SLS-free shampoo. And they're not all expensive - mine are from Trader Joe's!
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Yes, I CAN HELP!!!

I have hot hot pink by manic panic! To prevent color from bleeding during the workout I pull all hair off my face and clip my bangs back.

I only wash my hair every other day.

When I do wash it, I use ROUX Porosity Control Shampoo followed by either One 'N Only Argon Oil Moisture treatment or the regular conditioner.

My color lasts about 3 wks before I feel like I need to refresh it. Before I started doing this my color wouldn't last past a couple washes so this is a huge improvement!

O yes, cold water rinsing too!!! That def helps fading.
  • derbygirl214
    Options
    I have ultra-violet purple hair and i go to the gym almost everyday for 3 hours at a time. I use ionic brand sulfate free color protect shampoo (sallys beauty supply) and when I use it I apply a small amount to just my scalp and lather/pull it towards the ends before I rinse with cold water. (warm water opens the hair cuticle letting out the color) Also I wrap my hair in a bandana while I work out and sometimes use dry shampoo.
  • LilMissTalyn
    LilMissTalyn Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    ion color brilliance has some super bright options, and though they are creams, i mix mine with perm developer. You will still lose color but it won't be as bad. Try dry shampoo, or just using water. It's only sweat you don't have to use soap on it! Manic is a fade past semi perm anyways it's made to be a wash out, so any time you wet your hair you will lose some. I agree they need to make our vivids in full on perms but what can ya do! There are super sulfate free shampoos you can use that REALLY cut down a LOT on the wash out! Go to Sallys for it, use COLD COLD water on your hair, as cold as you can stand. and ONLY scrub into scalp as much as possible and rinse.