acceptable body fat but obese BMI???

Options
I am confused as to how I am obese according to my BMI but "acceptable" with my body fat percentage. Now I'm wondering what weight goal is more realistic for me. I used www.bmi-calculator.net.
I'm having problems with making the scale budge. I'm exercising about 5 days a week and I'm really trying to stick to MFP calories. To lose 2lbs a week, it set my goal to 1200. I was having a whole lot of trouble with that number because I remained so hungry it hurt. So, I started researching BMI, BMR, Body fat % etc. to try to figure a more comfortable calorie range to still let me lose 1-2 lbs a week. I read on the boards here that we shouldn't try less than our BMR and mine is 1691. Since my goal is about 165 down from 208, I think it's ok to go down to 1200 but it's too hard for me so I set it at 1542....I did this a couple of weeks ago writing down all kinds of numbers from researching and calculating a 1 lb a week weight loss....well sticking to 1542 is still making me weigh the exact same after one week. SO! I guess my question is....does anyone have a suggestion for me as far as what I should set my weight and calorie goal to for me to be able to get in a size 9-10 jean and actually make progress? (that's highschool size for me and right now I am at a 14-16.) I'm copying my results here if it helps :/

Height 5'6"
Weight 208 lbs
Age 38 years
Gender female
Your Results

BMI 33.57 More info
BMR 1691.4 More info
Waist to Hip Ratio 0.83 More Info
Body Fat Percentage 27.95 More Info

Replies

• CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    *Keep in mind that bodyfat calculators are only estimates, if you plug your measurements into different calculators online you can get very different results. So take that estimate with a grain of salt. It can be useful for trying to determine if you are making progress in decreasing your bodyfat percentage over time but it is not an exact measurement.

*1 week is often too short a time frame in which to see results, stick with your new calories for another couple of weeks and see if anything changes. There are a lot of things that can make our weight fluctuate up to 5 lbs *per day* (eating, drinking, water retention, using the restroom) so sometimes a weekly weigh-in could be off due to one or more of those factors.

*Are you exercising or just sticking to your calorie goal? Staying within your calorie budget will make you lose weight, but working out will help you re-shape your body. Especially working with resistance and weights. If you're not already doing that, try adding it to your routine.
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I know for me I had the best results when I increased my calories, currently at 1800. I eat the same number of calories every day regardless of my workout.

What are the exercises you are doing? Are you just doing Cardio or are you strength training also? What is your diet like?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I really do not like the basic BMI that just uses your height and weight - it does not take into account a bunch of factors that can totally distort it, the main one being muscle mass.

When I was at my leanest, I was at 17% body fact, but according to the BMI I was bordering on obese. I was pretty muscular (in a girly way:happy: ) which is more dense than fat, so you 'weigh heavier'.

Please please please do not go down to 1,200 - you will do yourself a dis-service in the long run. Please see the following post, it will explain.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/538381-in-place-of-a-road-map?
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Try the calories for a month, not a week.

The bodyfat % is an estimate -- but if it's accurate, that means that you have about 28% fat on your body. 28% of 208 is 58. That means you have 150 lbs of non-fat. Dropping to 165 (without losing muscle) would have you at 15/165% fat, which is 9%. That's too low. You might want to get that professionally checked, because if you really are that muscular 1200 is especially likely to be too low. I'm muscular myself and even 1400 had me chewing on my own arm without enough exercise calories. I reset it to 1lb/week and after a brief pause I'm losing 1 lb/week.
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    A week is too short a time. I weigh in with my trainer once a fortnight, and it is better for seeing changes. Your plan sounds good, how are you spacing your calories, I've just started grazing by eating small snack sized meals during the day and it is helping with the hunger. I also drink a lot of water and green tea.

BMI is a poor calculation but it is something. I myself am aiming to get my waist down under 80 cms, as that is considered healthy. I suggest you just stick to one goal, don't obsess about it, and just see how you go.

Just one more thing, the quality of the calories is as important as the amount. Packaged, or diet foods can be counterproductive. Eat well.

GG
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    It is extremely unlikely that your body fat is only 28%. That works out to a Fat Free Mass of 156 lbs for someone 5'6". In almost 30 years of doing body fats, the highest I have ever measure for a female your height is about 118 lb.

For now, if you are exercising the right amount and lifting weights, you should be able to lose weight eating 1500-1600 calories per day. It is important to make good food choices.

As others say, I week is too soon to come to any conclusions. For now, focus on being consistent and being active.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    BMI is about the most craptastically useless stat that has been made up in modern times. If BMI were to be believed every single pro body builder on the planet is obese or morbidly obese...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    I am confused as to how I am obese according to my BMI but "acceptable" with my body fat percentage. Now I'm wondering what weight goal is more realistic for me. I used www.bmi-calculator.net.
    I'm having problems with making the scale budge. I'm exercising about 5 days a week and I'm really trying to stick to MFP calories. To lose 2lbs a week, it set my goal to 1200. I was having a whole lot of trouble with that number because I remained so hungry it hurt. So, I started researching BMI, BMR, Body fat % etc. to try to figure a more comfortable calorie range to still let me lose 1-2 lbs a week. I read on the boards here that we shouldn't try less than our BMR and mine is 1691. Since my goal is about 165 down from 208, I think it's ok to go down to 1200 but it's too hard for me so I set it at 1542....I did this a couple of weeks ago writing down all kinds of numbers from researching and calculating a 1 lb a week weight loss....well sticking to 1542 is still making me weigh the exact same after one week. SO! I guess my question is....does anyone have a suggestion for me as far as what I should set my weight and calorie goal to for me to be able to get in a size 9-10 jean and actually make progress? (that's highschool size for me and right now I am at a 14-16.) I'm copying my results here if it helps :/

Height 5'6"
    Weight 208 lbs
    Age 38 years
    Gender female
    Your Results

BMI 33.57 More info
    BMR 1691.4 More info
    Waist to Hip Ratio 0.83 More Info
    Body Fat Percentage 27.95 More Info
    BMI isn't the best way to access correct body weight. Body fat % is better, but should be done with a more accurate reading then tape measurements.
    A female who is within good body fat percentage is between 20%-25%. If you're over that then it's usually not acceptable.

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • FlynnMacCallister
    FlynnMacCallister Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Body fat needs to be measured more directly, not calculated from those very basic inputs. I see at least one person complaining about BMI (which isn't that bad; it's a good rule-of-thumb for a population-typical build), but calculated body fat is SO MUCH WORSE. I'd completely ignore that number.
  • kerryd73
    kerryd73 Posts: 28
    Options
    Thanks so much for everyone's input. I may have mislead you all saying "1 week". I've been doing MFP for 5 weeks. The 1542 cals was kept all those weeks + or - about 120 except for one of those weeks. ( I said one week because I manually changed the calorie goal 1 week ago). I promise I'm not being impatient too much. After taking about an 8 month break of exercising because of knee surgery, I had gained all my weight back (30 lbs). I started exercising again since November. That is 4 months of not seeing a good number on the scale. Since I wasn't losing anything and working hard, it's then I decided to watch my calories. So I've been doing that here for 5 weeks.
    This is my exercise regimen
    Mon= 60 minute class "Boot Camp"- This is high aerobic with weight lifting incorporated
    Tue=60 minute class "Body Pump" - Various weight lifting as a class
    Wed = 60 minute class "step aerobics"
    Thurs = 30 mins treadmill/eliptical or break day
    Friday= 60 minute class "kick-boxing"
    Saturday =30 mins treadmill/eliptical or break day
    Sunday=30 mins treadmill/eliptical or break day

The body fat % I got was from www.bmi-calculator.net (they say from Navy) but then I did another at http://www.healthyforms.com/helpful-tools/body-fat-percentage.php....and their answer was 10% higher!!!! Heck...I'm done with all the researching and getting crazy answers.
    All the foods I eat are not necessarily the perfect baked this or grilled that but I do make sure to get in veggies.
    If the calories are my problem...I don't know what to set it as! I went back and did a total average for the last four weeks of my daily calories and I've been eating 1594 cals average. Do you think my body is completely stunned or something???? I've been exercising good for 4 months!
  • krewela
    krewela Posts: 20
    Options
    I can totally feel your pain! =( That said, I think you might be over training, or perhaps not eating enough protein, and yes, you probably are making your body (and your mind!) a bit crazy in all of this.

I can think of no reason why you wouldn't be losing weight given your exercise regime and your caloric intake, so that makes me wonder at other issues. Are you on pain meds from your surgery? Maybe your metabolism is askew because of it. Are you peri menopausal? (this is my favorite thing to blame lack of weightloss on!) And finally, what type of calories you are eating will make a difference too! I would spend a tiny bit of cash to at least consult with a nutritionist and make sure you're putting the right fuel in your engine.

Keep us posted!

S =)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    BMI is about the most craptastically useless stat that has been made up in modern times. If BMI were to be believed every single pro body builder on the planet is obese or morbidly obese...

LOL - and I agree
  • kerryd73
    kerryd73 Posts: 28
    Options
    "Where's my sign"? duh! After an entire day of resorting to whining here on the boards, it clicked that I have only been using MFP for 5 weeks. One of those weeks I went way way over on my cals. What is my reported result? FOUR pounds. That is one pound a week. I think I've just been going crazy because of how long I've been back to a good exercise routine - NOT even considering though the reality of my progress since I've been watching my cals. At least I learned through it all not to obsess with internet research on BMI and body fat! LOL