Raisins?

dcazll
dcazll Posts: 65 Member
OK so my OH and I have a long running disagreement whether raisins put on weight or not. My argument is they are healthier than sugar on my porridge or cornflakes, thats the only time I eat them. His argument is that he has seen on websites that they are good for eating to gain weight.

So whats your opinion, are they a good or bad fruit?

Replies

• Xanovira
    Xanovira Posts: 11
    In general, dried fruit tends to be a lot more calorie dense than fresh fruit and moderately sugary in comparison; that's probably where he got the idea that they're good for putting on weight, because in that sense it would be true. That said, they're still probably better than the sugar. Personally, I would recommend using fresh grapes or other fruit instead of the raisins; if anything, just consume them in moderation and pay attention to nutritional information when applicable.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    In general, dried fruit tends to be a lot more calorie dense than fresh fruit and moderately sugary in comparison; that's probably where he got the idea that they're good for putting on weight, because in that sense it would be true. That said, they're still probably better than the sugar.

I agree.

Also, any food eaten in excess can make you put on weight. Not just raisins.
  • grandma365
    grandma365 Posts: 6 Member
    I would say that if you are going to put them on anything, then read the package first. see what it says on calories, fats, etc. then just for the heck of it add it to your daily meal here on the site. see what it does. if it adds to many calories then i wouldn't. however, if it doesn't then i would say go ahead. Now question back to you. do you like any other fruit. because bananas are great on hot or cold cereal. strawberries as well. just a thought.