Looking for a couple health-wanting friends around my age.

Options
Hello there~
So, let's introduce me. I don't mind being called Catatonic, Panda, or Bani. I don't really like putting my real name on the internet. I'm twenty-one years old, and trying to take off some weight I put on several years ago. I'm a full time student, and my usual exercise patterns are pretty erratic sometimes.

I've got sort of an...Odd situation. I'm overweight, and yet I'm still trying to conquer an eating disorder. I'm kinda sensitive about it, simply because of the typical "You're too fat to have an eating disorder of any kind" reaction I get when I admit to it (I really won't blame anyone for reacting that way. It's hard to believe. I didn't believe it myself for a while). I'm also torn about what I actually want to do - Recover or give into it again (despite my seeing very minimal results from starving myself for days on end).

So, uh, yeah. That's why I'm here. And, well, it would make things a lot easier on me if I could find a couple friends around my age who understand and are willing to sorta trade encouragements for good eating and exercise habits.

I'm hoping someone will reply and be friends with me. ^^ I'm really bad at meeting people, so I hope this is okay.

Replies

• Forceky
    Forceky Posts: 4
    Options
    Hey!
    I'm 22 and seeking to get healthy too. A lot of my friends are very discouraging and try to push food and unhealthy treats on me, so I am looking to find supportive friends also. Name is Kyle!
  • mikedhatz
    mikedhatz Posts: 15
    Options
    Hello there Catatonic Bani Panda! Welcome to mfp! I'm new here also, and let me tell you, this is a great place to meet people (at least in a virtual sense) and to find encouragement, uplift, and support from all sides! Most of the people that I have seen so far are friendly and helpful, there's always someone who can answer just about any question that you might have.

It sucks seeing people with eating disorders. My wife has struggled with eating disorders for most of her life, bouncing back and forth between anorexia and binge eating. She's only recently started to get stabilized and get her diet under control. Just like alcoholism, it takes a lot of vigilance to keep from going the wrong direction. But the good news for you (and for her) is that she's getting better. It's not a lifelong problem that you'll never conquer. Just keep your chin up, keep seeking care and support, and you'll fight your way through ALL of the problems that dietary issues can throw at you, and maybe it'll help with any sort of self-esteem and image issues that you might have. We're here to help, so don't hesitate to chime in with problems or questions or any issues!

And in case I didn't say it earlier, WELCOME!
  • catatoniccutie
    Options
    Hello Kyle, is nice to meet you. ^-^ I caught my dad trying to shove a bunch of junk at me earlier...That's a far cry from what I need, so I understand. Most of my friends, though, they don't seem to care if I eat or not. x.x Doesn't exactly help. :3 But anyway. Be my friend?

Mikedhatz: I'm very glad to hear that she's getting better. I know I won't "conquer" it...But I'd like to beat it into submission. The starvation and pain and dizziness aren't worth it, much less the effect it has on my heart which was weak to begin with.

<3 Thank you both for the replies.