Healthy versions

Options
mrssmith636
mrssmith636 Posts: 80 Member
I have been on the weight loss track for almost 2 months now so my eating habits have changed tremendously. My hubby, on the other hand is and might always be the junk food king. While I can't force him to eat healthy (he might starve), I would like to make some changes with some of his favorite meals. Does anyone have any suggestions or links to some healthier versions of our favorite "comfort foods"?

Replies

• Corrie_Lynn
    Corrie_Lynn Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    What are some of your favorites?
    I switched bagel thins for bagels, wheat tortillas instead of regular, egg whites instead of eggs, ground turkey instead of ground beef works in almost any recipe.. mmm, trying to think of some stuff.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    What do you usually eat? I have a husband and two kids with vastly differing tastes, so I am the queen of customizing! :smile:
  • kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Substitute yoghurt or cottage cheese for cream, use low-fat cheese (and use less), use whole-wheat everything, substitute lean ground turkey for beef, you might try smaller servings of the "unhealthy" part of the meal and compliment them with extra veggies or a green salad.
  • purpletrillium
    Options
    Men's Health Magazine has a book "Eat this, Not that". It gives healthier alternatives to traditional American meals. Your husband will get health problems after awhile, so his junk food eating will end eventually.
    My husband is showing physical ailments now, due to a lifetime of crappy eating... Now he wants to change his diet, and exercise. Just in time......
  • mrssmith636
    mrssmith636 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    My husband is a steak and potatoes kind of guy.
  • splucy
    splucy Posts: 353
    Options
    My husband is a steak and potatoes kind of guy.

I would suggest Kangaroo steak as it's very lean but I doubt you would be able to find it if you are in America.

My only suggestion with cow steak would be to look for the leanest cut (eye fillet is lean). Cut off as much fat as you can prior to cooking and serve smaller portions of potato and more green vegetables.
  • annams76
    annams76 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com has amazing tasting healthy foods!!