Binge Eating

Options
I'm not sure if anybody else has this problem but I have a really bad binge eating problem! I will tell myself no, no, no and then before I know it, I'm driving like a zombie to whatever fast food joint has what I want.

Just wanted to post this topic to see if anybody else has this problem and what are some tricks to help!

Replies

• Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I get an idea that I want some specific food, and there is no deterring me.

Lately I'll buy the bag of chips, eat one or two servings, and throw the rest in the garbage..preferably outside...cuz I've dug them out before.

I've also tried substitution. So if I want a Blizzard I just keep some ice cream in the fridge, and try to forget it's there...or again..eat some and throw the rest out =/
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    It has helped me to stop buying my trigger foods, or to only buy individual serving sized containers. And if I have something in the house that I know I can't control myself around (like the dozen Cadbury cream eggs my husband bought for me), I put them in the cabinet over the fridge where I can't reach. I have to go through all I the effort of dragging a chair over and taking a bunch of bottles down to get to them. My laziness usually wins out.

I also throw out food if I can't control myself with it, but I have to pour soap over it first. There is nothing quite as shaming as being caught pulling a tub of icing out of the trash.
  • LuciendaB
    Options
    I'm glad you posted this because for the last week I've been binge eating...i'm incredibly stressed out and I know that has a lot to do with it. I feel like I cant control myself. HELLLLP!
  • _HollyMarion
    Options
    1) Throw away your trigger foods. If they aren't there, they won't tempt you nearly as much.
    2) Stop eating at night. Don't allow yourself to eat past nine or ten. Binge eating normally happens past this time.
    3) I know it's hard, but just work up the willpower to not get in the car and drive to the fast food place.
    4) Allow yourself only safe foods for snacks. Some of my favorites are sweet potatoes, yogurt, cucumbers with fat-free ranch dressing, and raw celery with peanut butter. You're very unlikely to binge on these foods.
    5) Don't allow yourself to get bored. Keep your mind active in order to keep thoughts of binging away. Work out, call a friend/family member, play a computer game, do a puzzle, etc.
    6) Don't restrict junk food completely. Allow yourself the foods you crave, but in moderation.
    7) Eat four-six small meals each day instead of three larger ones. It'll keep you full throughout the day, and your metabolism will run better.
    8) Pre-log your meals. This is probably the most helpful tip. Don't allow yourself to eat anything but what you've planned.

I hope this helped. :) I have this issue myself, and I'm always trying to think of new ways to battle it.
  • andreahell0f
    Options
    Thanks!!
    This helped a lot. I just need to tell myself no and keep driving past the fast food. I just get really bored or really tired/stressed out and lose control of what I am eating.
    I'll keep these tips in mind next time I am thinking about binging or debating going to fast food for comfort!
    Thanks!
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    my hubby travels a lot for work and i find i binge when i'm missing him and when i am stressed out. usually after the kids go to bed. if it carries over until the next day, i find myself consumed with thoughts of food and planning ahead what i'll binge on. however, since i started this "diet/lifestyle change" in january, i've noticed they (binges) are further and further apart. and when i do have one, i forgive myself and move on. but i am also learning to recognize before the binge that i feel worse, not better afterward - which i always knew, i just never used to let it stop me. i try to let that motivate me to stay away from my triggers...

it's tough. but, in my 20's, i used to purge too. i think just binging is progress. sick, isn't it? now, i'm focused on healing my relationship with food, period. and remembering to use it as fuel, not medication....