Easy Recipes for a Beginner?

Options
k8lyn_235
k8lyn_235 Posts: 507 Member
i can't cook. i'm in the process of learning (with the help of my bf) but the only things i've ever made on my own that was not prepackaged with directions is spaghetti and baked chicken nuggets. so basically, i can make pasta, bake/grill chicken, and.. that's it, lol.

does anyone have any easy recipes that they think i could do, being a beginner and all? i really want to stop eating so many microwave dinners, but it's hard for me. if you could post a recipe or two i would really appreciate it!

Replies

• KLavallee322
    KLavallee322 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I like Chicken Fajitas and they are super easy. I buy a bag of frozen bell peppers & onions already chopped up and ready to go (because I'm too lazy to cut them, haha), a fajitas seasoning packet, and about 2-3 chicken breasts. Slice up the chicken and cook it until no longer pink. Then remove from pan. Throw in the bag of frozen veggies in the same pan and cook for about 10min or so (I like to cook mine until they start to get a little black). Once the veggies are cooked I add the chicken and fajita seasoning packet and cook for 5min or so. Warm up some tortillas and you have an easy meal! If my husband & I are really hungry I'll also cook some spanish style rice-a-roni rice to go with it.

You can also buy chicken and chop it up into chunks & buy some bell peppers, onion, pineapple and slice those up as well. Throw them on a stick and BBQ them and you have delicious healthy kabobs!

* Also, the best invention for "non-cooks" is the crock pot. Everything tastes great every time and is super easy to make. I make Pulled Pork sandwiches all the time. You can get great recipes on tasteofhome.com. I make the "Tangy Pulled Pork" and it's soooo delish!
  • k8lyn_235
    Options
    i love fajitas! that sounds great and so do the kabobs :) thanks a lot!
  • rmtinney
    rmtinney Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good recipe, I will have to try. Thanks!
  • k8lyn_235
    Options
    anyone else?? :)
  • Honey623
    Honey623 Posts: 37
    Options
    Have u tried skinnytaste.com? I eat lots of skinless boneless chicken n alot of whole grain....but when I snack I like to make homemade baked onion rings.....preheat oven to 450° slice 1 onion as thinly as possible. Seperate rings. Dip onion first into egg whites (i use two), then breadcrumbs (i use italian) place on a nonstick baking sheet. Bake 10 minutes... :)
  • k8lyn_235
    Options
    Have u tried skinnytaste.com? I eat lots of skinless boneless chicken n alot of whole grain....but when I snack I like to make homemade baked onion rings.....preheat oven to 450° slice 1 onion as thinly as possible. Seperate rings. Dip onion first into egg whites (i use two), then breadcrumbs (i use italian) place on a nonstick baking sheet. Bake 10 minutes... :)

yes, i've made a few recipes on there with my bf. definitely a great site! and omg i love onion rings! i really must try that.. thanks!
  • Honey623
    Honey623 Posts: 37
    Options
    I forgot to mention ^^^ this recipe is only 51 calories :)
  • katekrise
    katekrise Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Olive oil in a pan...let it get hot...throw in cut up meat (chicken, pork, beef...whatever) or tofu... Brown the meat then add whatever veggies you like and stir fry sauce. Serve over rice. :)
  • jaena4
    jaena4 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    This involves some chopping, but it is SO good and even I haven't messed it up! It's very forgiving - you can switch veggies in and out depending on what you have around. Good stuff!

Roasted vegetables
    Ingredients
    • 1 small butternut squash, cubed
    • 2 red bell peppers, seeded and diced
    • 1 sweet potato, peeled and cubed
    • 3 Yukon Gold potatoes, cubed
    • 1 red onion, quartered
    • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
    • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
    • 1/4 cup olive oil
    • 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar _ MORE BALSAMIC!
    • salt and freshly ground black pepper
    Don’t skimp on the spices
    Directions
    1. Preheat oven to 475 degrees F (245 degrees C).
    2. In a large bowl, combine the squash, red bell peppers, sweet potato, and Yukon Gold potatoes. Separate the red onion quarters into pieces, and add them to the mixture.
    3. In a small bowl, stir together thyme, rosemary, olive oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Toss with vegetables until they are coated. Spread evenly on a large roasting pan.
    4. Roast for 35 to 40 minutes in the preheated oven, stirring every 10 minutes, or until vegetables are cooked through and browned.
    Nutritional Information
    Amount Per Serving Calories: 123 | Total Fat: 4.7g
  • ajl93
    ajl93 Posts: 22
    Options
    make some couscous mix it with red grapes (in half) feta cheese peanuts and parsley
    its really good simple and makes a lot so you can make it and eat it through out the week
  • k8lyn_235
    Options
    ooh both of those sound great! thank you so much :)
  • k8lyn_235
    Options
    make some couscous mix it with red grapes (in half) feta cheese peanuts and parsley
    its really good simple and makes a lot so you can make it and eat it through out the week

what exactly is couscous is it like rice? i'm not a cheese eater.. would this be good without it, do you think?
  • DADMUTH
    DADMUTH Posts: 7 Member
    Options
  • lisainbama3502
    lisainbama3502 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    i will have to try the onion rings i have been craving them thanks for sharing
  • alexsmith01
    alexsmith01 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Oooh I love onion rings, sooo going to try those this weekend!

Agree with above poster about crockpot recipes, soooo easy you just chuck ingredients in before work and when you get home you have a delicious meal!

Also agree with the person who suggested stir fries - I usually buy tofu/meat and stir fry, add a packet of frozen vegies, add a sauce (either purchased or homemade, google for millions of recipes) and serve on rice.

Other easy meals are:
    brothy soups (seasonal vegies plus stock plus a can of beans all boiled together until vegies are tender)
    blended soups (boil pumpkin in stock until completely mushy, blend, serve with a dollop of sour cream or cream cheese)
    I <3 soups
    Thai green curry (fry chicken/tofu in a tablespoon of green curry paste, add frozen stir fry vegies, stir fry, add a can of coconut milk and a lime leaf, cook until vegies are tender, serve with rice)
    Spaghetti Bolagnase (cook mince/nutmeat and onion, add a can of tomatoes and a small can of tomato paste, add a grated carrot or two, add oregano - serve on top of spaghetti with a sprinkling of cheese)
  • shicks73
    shicks73 Posts: 2
    Options
    Here is an easy and VERY GOOD Taco Soup.

1 cup onion
    8 oz Lean Ground Beef or Turkey
    1 pkg Taco Seasoning-
    1 pkg Ranch dressing mix (dry)
    2 -15 oz can pinto beans
    1- 8 oz can of tomato sauce
    1- 15.25 oz can corn
    2- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
    1-4 oz can green chiles
    1 tomato can of water

Brown meat and onions, rinse & drain meat. Combine all ingredients in a large pot. Simmet 30 mins may cook in crock pot for several hours.

Servings Per Recipe: 12
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 134.2
    Total Fat: 3.0 g
    Cholesterol: 26.7 mg
    Sodium: 791.1 mg
    Total Carbs: 18.7 g
    Dietary Fiber: 4.1 g
    Protein: 11.0 g

Enjoy! :)
  • nemsmom
    nemsmom Posts: 48
    Options
    When blending hot soup, only fill the blender half full and use a thick towel to hold on the lid! I was talking to the kids and not thinking the first time I did and burnt the crap out of my hand!

Some tips to read my recipes, C = cup, T = tablespoon, t = teaspoon

Campfire potatoes:

Ingredients
    10 potatoes, thinly sliced
    1 small onion, thinly sliced
    3/4 C butter, cut into pieces (I use I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Light)
    2/3 C finely shredded cheddar cheese
    1/4 C minced fresh parsley
    2 T Worcestershire sauce
    2/3 C chicken broth
    Salt and pepper to taste

Directions
    Preheat outdoor grill for high heat.
    On a piece of heavy foil approximately 20 x20 inches place the potatoes and onion and dot with butter.
    In a medium bowl, mix cheese, parsley, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper.
    Sprinkle the mixture over the potatoes.
    Fold edges of foil.
    Cover with chicken broth.
    Seal foil tightly and place on prepared grill.
    Cook for 35 to 40 minutes or until potatoes are tender.

If you want to slice the potatoes ahead of time for any reason (I sliced all the veggies and brought everything in ziplocks to cook when I got to my in-laws for Easter one year) place the pealed and sliced potatoes in a container of cold water to prevent browning.

30 minute Chili:

Ingredients
    2 lbs ground beef
    2 C chopped onion
    2 cans (16oz each) chili beans, undrainded (Chili beans are just seasoned pinto beans, if you can't find them, just use pinto)
    2 cans (10 3/4 oz each) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
    4 t chili powder
    2 t paprika
    1 t pepper
    1 t salt
    1/4 t garlic powder

Directions
    In a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
    Add beans, soup and seasonings; bring to a boil.
    Reduce heat; cover and simmer 15 minutes or until thick and bubbly.

I'm not even through the "C's" in my recipe book here so if you tell me some things you like I can find more recipes that might interest you!
  • nemsmom
    nemsmom Posts: 48
    Options
    Oh I forgot, I have found a recipe for taco/fajita seasoning (I use the same recipe for both because the taco seasoning tears up my hubby's stomach) that is so good, I will never buy store bought mix again! Let me know if you want that one.
  • k8lyn_235
    Options
    thanks everyone!
    Oh I forgot, I have found a recipe for taco/fajita seasoning (I use the same recipe for both because the taco seasoning tears up my hubby's stomach) that is so good, I will never buy store bought mix again! Let me know if you want that one.

yes, i would love to see that!
  • mrsmel55
    mrsmel55 Posts: 168
    Options
    I have been missing my fried onion rings...I will try baking them! I already do something similar for french fries. Cut up a small red potato just like you normally would for fries. Spray a sheet pan with Canola Pam, lightly spray the potatoes with Pam and lightly season with salt and pepper. Bake for about 25 minutes. Turn potatoes over about half way thru. Perfect with Turkey Burgers!