Skin breaking out????

Options
AJCM
AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
Anyone out there having problem with their skin breaking out?

I could probably count 4 or 5 pimples on my face right now, which is very usual for me - clear skin since the teen age years, and even then it was never bad. All are in the chin area (which they say in related to hormones). I figure it MUST be related to the diet, as it started just after I started MFP.

Anyone else covered in pimples?
:sad: :grumble: :ohwell:

Replies

• AJCM
    Options
    Anyone out there having problem with their skin breaking out?

I could probably count 4 or 5 pimples on my face right now, which is very usual for me - clear skin since the teen age years, and even then it was never bad. All are in the chin area (which they say in related to hormones). I figure it MUST be related to the diet, as it started just after I started MFP.

Anyone else covered in pimples?
    :sad: :grumble: :ohwell:
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I have breakouts now and then but I've been clear since I started using baby shampoo for makeup removal and bath soap, etc...I use baby shampoo for everything and skin has improved, shrunk pores and I'm not as dry either...I also switched to a facial moisturizer built around amino-peptides...I always use generics...the one I'm using is my local drugstore brand and is compared to olay regenerist.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing when I first started. . .I think it was my body re-adjusting. Also, we're having the good old season change around these parts. . .I always have skin issues when that happens.

:flowerforyou:
  • Life_is_Good
    Life_is_Good Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Yes... Started a couple years ago. Mine are from hormone changes (sometimes stress)

They pop up a couple times a month. Not just the small discreet ones, but huge, 2nd chin, "watch out for the moving zit" kind.

Hope you get some good advice from this post - I could use it, too.
  • doglvr_75
    doglvr_75 Posts: 144
    Options
    :grumble: I have noticed the same problem...glad to know it's not just me...the baby shampoo is a good idea...I haven't tried it, but that's all my husband uses...hopefully, this, too, shall pass....:grumble:
  • rem1979
    rem1979 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I have actually found the opposite. My skin has clear up considerable since I started losing weight except right before that time fo the month, I might get one or two break outs. And I have always had bad skin, from the time I was pre-teen. Once I started using Neutrogena products a few years back, I have noticed a big difference.
  • AJCM
    Options
    Thanks for all the posts! I hope it's just the change in the system since the diet - maybe toxins leaving the body??? :flowerforyou:

I use really gentle soaps already, and think they are great for everyone anyway (I am an eczema sufferer). :smile:
  • cobra1368
    cobra1368 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have had bad skin my entire life...until recently.

I went into Sephora one day, and there was a clinical aethetician in there who specialized in treating acne.

She put me on a diet that was really high in omega 3s (fish, nuts, avocado, organic chicken and turkey, etc). I also got some of Dr. Perricone's skin vitamins ($75 at Sephora)

My skin looks amazing. I've gone through my monthly cycle with only one or two breakouts, which is VERY unusual for me. And I'm 31, so it isn't like I'm still going through my teen hormone changes.

So try more omega 3s in your diet. Salmon, mackerel, almonds, broccoli, leafy greens. You'll find that a lot of these things already fit in nicely with your current diet for weight loss.

I know nuts can be high in fat, but eat them in small amounts. You can up your caloric intake on those days that you exercise.

I hope that helps! It certainly helped me - much more than anything over the counter and topical ever did.
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    Hi and good post!

I read that when your body is detoxing w/ healthy eating and drinking your water and exercising, sometimes you'll get breakouts and even boils...the boils not on your face but on your body...I had one on my belly and I was like...ah ha! it went away thankfully and the outbreaks most likely will too once your body gets used to it....You sound like me I never had a problem w/ my skin at all....BUT when I turned 21 I broke out terrible like all at once was horrified, I was like NOW! NOW you decide to breakout!!!:noway: ....and the doctor told me your blood changes every 7 years and it was not that uncommon....it went away too and I was soooo thrilled! And it never happened again thankfully and I'm 39 now...soooo knocking on wood...he he:ohwell:

I read the the ph balance in baby shampoo is great for your skin, I use that too sometimes, and also wash my face immediately after a workout....that helps too.

I have a great moisturizer I get from avon...and I have sensetive skin too but its works awesome, all their skincare works really good for me actually lol...well the ones I've used so far thankfully, the more expensive ones from department stores etc... make me break out sooo I'll stick w/ what works! lol

best of luck!
    hugs,
    ali
  • AJCM
    Options
    Thanks Cobra and Ali...

I do take a high daily supplement of Omega 3 and 6 (3 to 1 ratio) through sardine oil (it tastes terrible - but it supposed to be the best absorbed by the body) and I do take anti-inflamatory supplments everyday (vitamin D, B complex, multi vitamin, selenium, vitamin E). My naturopath has me on all of this help with eczema specifically, and anti-inflamation generally.

I'm hoping it's the detox that is doing this! They are all clearing up nicely, but it was kind of odd. Some also mentioned stress, and I did have a bit of stress recently.

Thanks for all the ideas!
  • uwhuskygirl
    uwhuskygirl Posts: 320
    Options
    Also, if it's really bothering you (which I freak out when I get zits and can't handle it) you can go to your dermatologist and get a cortisone injection in the zit and it goes away in about 4 hours.

Check with your insurance because it also might be covered. It's covered by mine, so all I have to do is pay the $10 copay when I go to see my dermatologist for this.
  • Elvidnir
    Elvidnir Posts: 23
    Options
    I noticed the same thing!
    Only mine were tiny bumps on my forehead that are unpopable.
    Too much information?:laugh:
  • skinnydreams
    skinnydreams Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the posts! I hope it's just the change in the system since the diet - maybe toxins leaving the body??? :flowerforyou:

I use really gentle soaps already, and think they are great for everyone anyway (I am an eczema sufferer). :smile:

Hey my kids both suffer from eczema...have you tried the new Spectro Eczema care products...they have a body wash and a cortisone free cream....it's worked wonders on my kids! As for the pimples, if I knew I wouldn't have them either!!!:laugh:
  • blink14
    blink14 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    mine actually is the opposite ... I started having serious acne problems about 2 yrs ago, and I noticed that within the last few weeks (i've been on here for about 4 weeks), things have cleared up alot.
  • AJCM
    Options
    Uwhuskygirl... I'm liking this cortisone injection... I'm Canadian so everything is covered, but it takes a couple of months to get in to see a dermatologist! The pimples will be long gone! I might try a little topical cortison tonight - good idea!!! :smile:

Elv... hmmm... let's hope we clear up!
  • thk1858
    thk1858 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been struggling with skin breakouts for most of my adult life (I'm 63). Here's what I've learned: topicals are more likely to cause problems than cure them, 2) "toxic" is different for each of us, 3) food-induced skin breakouts aren't the same as allergies... one serving of a bad food might be OK, but two or three might make your skin break out, 4) the cause(s) might not make any sense in terms of what is generally considered "healthy." But here's the thing: you can experiment on yourself. If you think it's diet-related, do an exclusion diet for a month. Assuming your skin clears up and stays cleared up, then you can pretty much say that it's diet-related. Then reintroduce food items one item at a time, and eat enough to give it a fair test. When your skin breaks out, you've learned something. In my case, my facial skin behaves like it's lactose-intolerant, but not my digestion. I also seem to be fructose-intolerant, but that's tougher to say for certain. Meat and starchy foods are what's left for me if I really want my skin to behave. So I skirt the edge a lot, since meat, bread and potatoes don't constitute a balanced diet.
  • Kupla71
    Kupla71 Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    I started getting breakouts on my neck and face about a year ago after a life time of clear skin. I just turned 50 so I think it may be hormonal. My doctor recommended Benzogel face wash. I’ve been using it twice a day for about a month and it is helping. I occasionally get a pimple but it’s not like it was before I started using it. The face wash is very thin and watery so I wash my face with cerave and then use the Benzogel wash.
    Good to know I am not alone in these adult breakouts! Good luck. I hope yours clears up. 😊