OT--heart murmurs and abnormal cells

Options
Hey guys. I'm coming to you because I don't know who else I can really talk to right now. I just got off the phone with my sister Ally. She's a 19 year old college basketball player. She recently had a pap smear that came back with highly abnormal cells. The doc told her it's not cancer yet but it could turn into cancer if they don't take care of it soon. She was also told that she has heart murmurs and she needs to see her doc down here (she's 4 hours away from home) right away. I don't really know a lot about either one of these, but it's scary ya know. Luckily they found the cells early so they should be able to take care of it. It's just crazy because she seems so healthy. I mean, obviously she's in shape since she's playing basketball at a college level. But there's so much more to health than just being in shape. I was wondering if any of you can tell me what you know about heart murmurs or abnormal cells. And to please keep her in your prayers. I completely trust God and know that it's in his hands and whatever happens, we'll be ok. But it's still a little scary. Thanks guys.

:heart: Kels

Replies

• Smilineyes
    Smilineyes Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Hey guys. I'm coming to you because I don't know who else I can really talk to right now. I just got off the phone with my sister Ally. She's a 19 year old college basketball player. She recently had a pap smear that came back with highly abnormal cells. The doc told her it's not cancer yet but it could turn into cancer if they don't take care of it soon. She was also told that she has heart murmurs and she needs to see her doc down here (she's 4 hours away from home) right away. I don't really know a lot about either one of these, but it's scary ya know. Luckily they found the cells early so they should be able to take care of it. It's just crazy because she seems so healthy. I mean, obviously she's in shape since she's playing basketball at a college level. But there's so much more to health than just being in shape. I was wondering if any of you can tell me what you know about heart murmurs or abnormal cells. And to please keep her in your prayers. I completely trust God and know that it's in his hands and whatever happens, we'll be ok. But it's still a little scary. Thanks guys.

• butterfly2008
    Options
    HEART MURMURS MAY OR MAY NOT BE DANGEROUS THE DOC IS THE ONLY ONE WHO CAN TELL HER BUT SHE REALLY NEEDS TO GET TP HER DR.SOME CAN BE TREATED WITH MEDS AND SOME MAY JUST GO AWAY .BUT THEY ARE NOTHING TO PLAY WITH .KNOWLEDGE IS POWER IT SOUNDS CORNY BUT ITS TRUE ,WISH I COULD BE OF MORE ASSISTANCE
  • LonelyPilgrim
    LonelyPilgrim Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    There isn't enough information to know how abnl either her cervix cells or her heart murmur is.

I had an abnl pap last August, was LGSIL (low grade squamous cell .. something or other) and on further testing had an HPV + in those abnl cells. I have the kind of HPV that isn't ever seen (there are over 30 strains and only a couple of them cause "genital warts", and only a few of them are the "high risk" ones for cervical cancer) . Anyway, I had a colposcopy and they determined that the biopsy they took was just slightly abnormal, so I just go back every 6 mo now to see if there are any changes. My Colposcopy actually made the results BETTER, not worse. If the results had come back worse, then it would have been an LEEP procedure or something else to "burn off" the bad areas.

I would guess her story will be similar to mine HPV is sexually transmitted and very very common. most people dont know that they have it because it is the silent kind and GYNs dont routinely test for it UNTIL a pap comes back abnl.

Just make sure she follows up and will be able to rest "at ease" when she gets more definitive results.
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    from what I understand, heart murmurs mean that the valve flaps letting blood out of your heart and into your body are faulty. They may not swing shut completely, or swing backwards and forwards. (think of a door opening and letting people in) Well with a heart murmur, the faulty valve allows used blood to spill back into the heart (sometimes). My dentist actually explained this to me b/c I asked why some people have to take medicine before visiting the dentist. He said heart murmurs cause a problem and make people sick when they have an infection in their blood. If the faulty valve allows the used, infected blood into their heart, the heart can take on the infection and that is serious. When I asked my regular MD to check me for a murmur, he said you can actually hear the blood splooshing in an abnormal way.

I hope I'm getting this right. I'm remembering it the best I can from my DDS and MD. I really hope your sister's murmur is treatable and that her abnormal cells are, too.
  • jendea
    jendea Posts: 5
    Options
    :smile: Hi I am an RN and have first hand knowledge about both of these topics.
    1st Abnormal pap - An abnormal pap can be caused by a vaginal infection, as well as having had multiple sexual partners. Usually a Cryo procedure is done to cure this. Cryo is a freezing (liquid nitrogen, if you will) that is put onto the cervix, There is a watery discharge for about 1week to 10 days afterwards. An abnormal pap is not uncommon. Did the doctor perform a biopsy? I have never had a normal pap smear, since I had cryo done. I was 19 (something about that number) and had a class 4 pap smear the cryo procedure was done and at 54 I have never had another problem.

Heart murmur - Heart murmurs are not uncommon either, it depends on the grade of the murmur as that will determine the severity and treatment of it. There is a serious condition called Wolfe-Parkinson-White that can be extremely dangerous a stress echo treadmill should show a problem. Approximately 15% of the population has a condition called mitral valve prolapse that can or cannot be serious depending on the severity of it.
  • dmflynt
    dmflynt Posts: 196
    Options
    She needs to see her doctors promptly, and follow their advice and treatment plans.....knowledge combined with action is key.

I had to go thru the whole "bad PAP" routine 2 yrs ago.....HPV+ (my doctor said it had probably been dormant for many years), colposcopy, then a LEEP (partial removal of the cervix). All subsequent PAPs have been absolutely clear, thankfully.

No need to panic....just take action!
  • Smilineyes
    Smilineyes Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Don't worry, she will be seeing doctors. I just wanted to know if anyone had experience with these, and you all have let me know what you know so thanks :happy:

• thegirlwholived
    thegirlwholived Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Your post caught my attention b/c of the heart murmurs. The murmur itself is just an abnormal noise the heart is making. They can be caused by several different things. I have mitral valve prolapse with severe regurgitation. About 5% of the population have that (mainly women), and only a fraction of that number have any severe problems b/c of it. I've had a valve repair and mechanical valve replacement b/c mine was very severe, causing me to go into heart failure just days after my first child was born. I don't say that to scare you, only to let you know that even if it turns out to be something significant and requires surgery she can get past it and have a healthy, normal life.
  • Pom_love_2
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Don't worry, she will be seeing doctors. I just wanted to know if anyone had experience with these, and you all have let me know what you know so thanks :happy:

Wow, I had abnormal cells found in a PAP about 4 years ago, they had me come back in 6 months for another PAP and every 6 months till I'd had 4 normal results. There is several factors that could cause an abnormal result according to my doctor. If she's young and I were her (maybe wanting children in the future), I would want more testing done. Having intimate relations within a couple days of the PAP was (I think) what caused mine, even with using protection.

That's scary that her doctor said they should take care if it so soon without more testing.