Loose Skin

Options
Hey Guys!

Any tips and tricks to tighten up loose skin around the abdominals and your underarm, inner thigh etc?

I am 18 years old, and started my Weight Loss Journey at 256 lbs on January 9th. As of Monday I weighed myself and have a weight of 224.5lbs. Total of 31.5lbs lost! Very exciting for me. I have been fat my whole life. I workout 3-4 times per week with 20+ minutes of cardio (jogging/elliptical) and then do weights targeting upper body, lower body and core (each area gets a day of the week).

I was so excited to lose this weigh that has been holding me back and I still have a long ways to go. I realize that since I've been overweight for so long that my skin is going to take time to tighten back up. It is very discouraging to lose weight and think you're going to look so pretty and then be dumbfounded by this skin(:

Any ideas or tips are appreciated.

Thank you all!
Julia

Replies

• gatorgirlyyy
    Options
    I'm in the same boat... even with 37 pounds lost I have extra skin. I can't offer suggestions but I'd love to hear some as well. :)
  • anfmusicgrl
    anfmusicgrl Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    First thing is give your skin time.

I've lost 66 so far, and every 20 or so lbs I would think, omg look at this extra skin!! But, it's not any worse at -66 lbs than it was at -25 lbs. My skin is shrinking at it's own pace, slowly...so, just be patient. I've heard the "2 yr" time frame around a lot. Meaning, that is the time it takes for your skin to shrink as much as it is going to shrink..

Other things you can do to help with elasticity would be staying out of the sun or using sunscreen, using moisturizers with Vitamin E, and keep hydrated with lots of water.

Your skin will shrink, especially since you are young. Some people that have extreme losses have to end up getting surgery. I just try and keep realistic expectations. I don't expect that I stayed overweight for this long without at least the consequence of a little extra skin. Some people lose a lot of weight, and their skin bounces back awesomely, some do not. Each person and body is different. Just hang in there and keep up your hard work!

Just remember, the skin though isn't going to hurt your health like the fat does, and it looks much better under clothes than fat too!
  • cjstagg
    cjstagg Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am having the exact same issue. I've lost 29 lbs. over the course of 7 months (so very slowly) so I didn't think my skin would be so loose, but when I wave, my arms wave back! I hate it! I work on my triceps almost everyday (along with my biceps and shoulders) to no avail. I guess I just need to be patient and give it time but it's hard.. like you said, you think once you lose the weight you are going to look so great, but the loose skin really puts a damper on things!
  • sherylmc1
    Options
    The ever famous squats and lunges offer the most hope for hips, thighs and butts.....for inner thighs leg lifts to the side, about 25 on each side...3 times a week should help...and for ab work try "the hundred" a Pilates move you can find online anywhere....you tube it, or get "Pilates for Dummies". I use that regularly and it really helps. For cardio, I recommend Zumba.
  • pattan59801
    pattan59801 Posts: 142
    Options
    I have heard that once stretched it is always stretched
  • Jambe
    Jambe Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Mine's been shrinking pretty nicely and I lost it REALLY fast. I was also fat my entire life.

Really only have a problem in the stomach area. A tiny bit on the side of my hips/butt.

Currently filling it with muscle to try and meet it half way. It's making it difficult to see my abs sometimes. :p

I'm impatient..

Insurance will cover skin removal if it causes rashes or pain. Wanted to give it at least a year to catch up. Sometimes it won't shrink back. Were pretty young though, so , I imagine it should be able to. The human body is pretty awesome like that :)

Drink lotsa water. Get yer vit C. Eat lotsa protein. Hope.