Getting fit for to help improve my declining health

Options
I am new to myfitnesspal and to starting a whole new way of life. I need to loose weight because I care about my declining health. I have high blood pressure and just found out I have high blood sugar. My goal is to start a fitness plan and healthy eating habits so that I might be medicine free and control my health by diet and exercise. I am middle aged and have spent most of my life fat. I am a compulsive food addict and have spent way too much time in fast food drive-thurs. I rarely exercise and now my very bad decisions concerning my physical well being are catching up with me. I believe that I can reach my goals and any support and inspiration would greatly be appreciate.

Replies

• fatcellsuck
    fatcellsuck Posts: 184
    Options
    You can do it! Start walking!!!!!!!!!!
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Add me if you like!
  • kp1439
    kp1439 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    add me if u like
  • shoby68
    shoby68 Posts: 30
    Options
    Hey,

went through something similiar a year and a half ago. Went from over 230(at one point 250) to low 180's in about 7 months and have kept if off for over a year. (still trying to lose the last 10 lbs)

Feel free to add me.
  • christinedarrow
    Options
    Thanks. I walked a brisk 2 miles today and feel proud.
  • fluffysexyme
    fluffysexyme Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me!
  • christinedarrow
    Options
    That really is great. I hope to be in better health and off meds this time next year. keep up your hard work, it truly helps to hear about such success.
  • sacagawea
    sacagawea Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    you can add me :) hey, how are people adding their weight loss goals in their responses? thats cool

i also have health issues do to being so overweight including liver disease, acid reflux, sleep apnea and high cholesterol
  • hanniejong
    hanniejong Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    You can do it Christine and I agree start walking it is one of the best exercises for anyone with high sugar, I am a diabetic and I walk as much as I can. You can also add me to your friends list.:flowerforyou:
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I am new to myfitnesspal and to starting a whole new way of life. I need to loose weight because I care about my declining health. I have high blood pressure and just found out I have high blood sugar. My goal is to start a fitness plan and healthy eating habits so that I might be medicine free and control my health by diet and exercise. I am middle aged and have spent most of my life fat. I am a compulsive food addict and have spent way too much time in fast food drive-thurs. I rarely exercise and now my very bad decisions concerning my physical well being are catching up with me. I believe that I can reach my goals and any support and inspiration would greatly be appreciate.
    I'm in almost exactly the same boat. 49 yo, 300 lb @ 5'9", overweigh almost all my life, high blood sugar/pre-diabetes, high cholesterol/blood lipids/risk of serious cardiovascular disease. Decided to do this; to get fit & lose the weight through hard work & healthy choices; because I really, *really* don't want to die before I'm 65.
  • Hoakiebs
    Hoakiebs Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I am 51 and started Dec. 13 after my Dr. Had told me that my bloodwork indicated I had type II diabetes. I was 250 lbs. I was already on BP and cholesterol medication. My cholesterol was 196, tryglicerides were 176, and BP was 140/80, and that was ON the medications. My fasting blood sugar was 156, my A1c was 6.6. (diabetic). After joining MFP, I started eating better, drinking less, and walking 60-120 mins. 5-6 times per week. By Feb. 23, 2 months later, my weight was 220, cholesterol down to 158, Triglycerides were 106, and BP was 116/64. My fasting blood sugar was 106 and A1c was 5.7 (normal). Since then I'm now 205 lbs, and going to get off my BP and chol. Meds next Dr.s visit. I have gone from a 40 waist To a 34, fron an XL to a M/L shirt and a 17 neck to a 16 shirt.

It's quite possible with the right motivation; I have a 4 yr. old daughter, and I was scared to think that I wouldn't be around to see her grow up. I now am setting a good example for her with a better diet and more exercise.

Good luck on your journey. You are in the right place. No matter what your disposition, sense of humor, cynicism, sarcasm, etc. there are friends out here just waiting to support one another.

Friend me if you like.
  • christinedarrow
    Options
    I thank you for sharing your story with me. It is motivational and I agree that loved ones including children can inspire us to strive toward our health goals. We all want to live a long, happy, and healthy life so that we can watch them reach milestones in life. Even more important, being able to participate with them without medical handicaps that can be controlled by simply taking care of our health and partaking in better choices. You are an inspiration to me.
  • mittensofdoom
    mittensofdoom Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Rock on Christine. It's completely awesome that you've decided to take charge of your life.

Start small, this is a marathon, not a sprint.

When it gets tough, remember why you're doing this and hang in there!
  • christinedarrow
    Options
    You took the words out of my mouth...I don't care to die before age 65 either. I as well am determined to do what I can to avoid a shortened life due to unhealthy habits.
  • christinedarrow
    Options
    Oh thanks! I realize this is a lifestyle change not a quick fix. It took many years to figure out, but as long as I keep my head up and my feet moving, I believe I will see positive results.
  • kp1439
    kp1439 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    feel free to add if you wanna
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    welcome....this is a great place to begin to learn new habits! Add me as a friend if you like!
  • whr0411
    whr0411 Posts: 26
    Options
    Keeping your head up and feet moving. Great attitude, you will make it and I look forward to watching your acheive your goal. I think I'll put your little quote on a post it pad above me desk to inspire me when I'm feeling lazy/weak. Thanks :)
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    You can definitely do it. Read the other success stories in here. The power of the human mind. You can do anything you set your mind to. You can get your blood pressure down. You can save yourself from being seriously ill. Others have done it and I'm sure you can too. We believe you can. Add me if you want to and good luck!
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    My advice would be don't use up all your motivation on these boards. If you haven't been on the net much you may not know that talking on the internet can suck the life and energy out of you.

Good luck on your journey. I'm fairly close to the start of mine but am in a placid frame of mind about it for the first time in my life, and feel fairly relaxed about the outcome. I've got all day. Why did I hurry so, when I was young?

:)