scared of morning workouts!

Options
ok, this is going to sound ridiculous. i have been dying to be able to work out in the morning, so that i know it gets done and i have time for everything i need to do in the day. i've been researching about what to eat and drink before, and i am pretty confused...everyone seems to have a different answer! anyways, here's the deal: i am DEATHLY afraid of throwing up. i mean really. its unhealthy. i am SO incredibly worried about throwing up whatever i eat or drink before a workout that i can't make myself even try in the mornings. right now i have a bottle of water and about 10 pretzels next to my bed. i was hoping to eat that in the morning, then go do the 30 day shred about 15-20 minutes later, but again, i am terrified. :ohwell: thoughts?

Replies

• cyncetastic
    cyncetastic Posts: 165
    Options
    There are lots of different answers to this. What I have found to be most effective and quick is the following:

1 scoop of protein powder
    1/2 cup of oats
    1 cup of unsweetened almond milk

Blend it up, drink it before your workout.

This provides your body with the fuel it needs (protein + carbs) to get through a workout without being "too full."
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    thoughts?

Have you considered not eating or drinking anything before your workout?
  • maletac
    maletac Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    water just simple water? i take a pre workout suppliment usually but thats it
  • mischa_12
    mischa_12 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I actually much prefer working out at night or in the early evening because that is when I start to crave bad foods. I find that I have worked my butt off for almost an hour so there's no way I want to screw that up by binging. Can you give it a try?
  • ashtonalayna
    Options
    I almost always work out in the morning and have come close to throwing up due to not having anything in my stomach. What works for me is to eat a half banana before I start and the other half after. And drink plenty of water throught your workout. I guess it would also depend how long you workout you may need more food if you do longer than me which is anywhere fron 30 min. to an hour.
  • mischa_12
    mischa_12 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Also, I thought this was relevant - I have read (maybe in the 17 day diet book) that its better not to eat breakfast before a workout but to then have it after?
  • irishdancer23
    irishdancer23 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    i have actually heard a lot of people say that its better not to eat anything. i just worry about not having enough energy or passing out or something. i know. i'm strange like that.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Also, I thought this was relevant - I have read (maybe in the 17 day diet book) that its better not to eat breakfast before a workout but to then have it after?

i have actually heard a lot of people say that its better not to eat anything. i just worry about not having enough energy or passing out or something. i know. i'm strange like that.

From a body composition standpoint it won't matter so it's best to let personal preference dictate when you eat. Some people perform great while fasted but some people have energy issues.
  • kyt1206
    kyt1206 Posts: 101
    Options
    I work out in the morning.

I wake up at 6, eat some hot breakfast - cold breakfasts never worked for me, usually some soup or leftovers from dinner, but about 150 calories *max*. Then I have a cup of black tea to get my wake up.

Off to the gym - 30mins to 1 hr of cardio

come back, snack on another 150 if I'm hungry.

Eat small amounts, you will not feel hungry, your stomach will not be churning while you run/etc.
  • desirae500
    desirae500 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I guess I don't understand why you would throw up? If you are working out so hard that you throw up, are you working out well? That being said, I work out hard and can get breathless. If I work out in the morning, I usually drink a small protein shake 15 minutes before or a mixture of protein water and cranberry juice during. I cannot work out on a completely empty tank - which I am in the morning. I need some fuel to work out hard.

I've never worked out hard enough to throw up, but I have felt faint related to dehydration or not eating!
  • irishdancer23
    irishdancer23 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I guess I don't understand why you would throw up? If you are working out so hard that you throw up, are you working out well? That being said, I work out hard and can get breathless. If I work out in the morning, I usually drink a small protein shake 15 minutes before or a mixture of protein water and cranberry juice during. I cannot work out on a completely empty tank - which I am in the morning. I need some fuel to work out hard.

I've never worked out hard enough to throw up, but I have felt faint related to dehydration or not eating!

its never happened before...its just that i'm doing the 30 day shred right now and there is a lot of jumping involved. just not sure i'm comfortable doing it with food in my stomach.
  • auditorz
    auditorz Posts: 15
    Options
    I like working out fasted in the morning but it is a personal preference. Some people like having protein shake prior, others don't want that much liquid in their stomach and only have BCAA.

Try some different things and see what works best for you.
  • marywanoKC
    marywanoKC Posts: 176
    Options
    I work out on an empty stomach. Get up around 5:00, at the gym by 5:30, work out for an hour, then shower, dress, do makeup, grab breakfast, and be at work by 8:00. I don't feel sick in the slightest, and it feels like the day is so much more productive. Just try it!
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I usually work out in the morning, then come home and have breakfast before I leave for work. Works for me...just make sure you have a big bottle of water handy and USE it.
  • milzu
    milzu Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I love to run first thing in the morning. I'm up, dressed and running before I've woken up to the fact that I'm not snug in bed anymore. I'm fine on an empty stomach. But that's what works for me. My general rule is to wait an hour after eating anything before working out, and I don't have that time in the morning :) But there are gels, dried fruit maybe, for some instant energy for any intense/long training, if you're worried about burning out.
  • Elizadolots
    Elizadolots Posts: 178
    Options
    I always work out before breakfast, don't much like the feeling of food in my tummy when I do exercise. Try it, the 30 day shred is not so long that it will wipe you out because you've not eaten. :-) Good luck!
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I don't eat before my morning run. Just have a small drink of water. But, I run less than a mile so I'm not going on an empty stomach for long.
  • PitBullMom_Liz
    PitBullMom_Liz Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I just started the 30DS and I'm doing it in the morning. Slept in my workout clothes, rolled out of bed at 4:15, and was working out by 4:20. Drank some water afterwards, but I won't eat breakfast until probably 7:30 or 8. I leave for work at 6 so I just don't have time to eat at home. That's not ideal though. Ideally I'd remember to buy some milk to mix with my protein powder for right after I workout, but for the life of me I keep forgetting it. So I've got my protein powder dumped in my oatmeal with some PB2. Should be nummy.

I like getting it done and out of the way even though I'm tired and just want a nap. :-)
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    What kind of workout are you going to do? I run in the mornings and if I am under an hour, the most I have is a cup of coffee and some water. I make sure I get enough carbs at night to fuel my run in the morning. I have never had a fear of passing out. Have you passed out from working out? I would think that one would pass out if they are working out for a very long time or haven't eaten properly for a while or is hypoglycemic. I don't think you need to worry about that unless you are prone to passing out.

As for throwing up, who cares. Unless you throw up all over people or in a very populated area, I don't think you should worry about it. Have you ever thrown up from working out? If not, don't think about it.

You are putting far too much thought into this. If you are that afraid, stick with your evening workouts. The more stress you put your body through, the less weight you will lose.