I really need a boost.

Options
I've been away for five weeks without any scales, but my diet was going really well. I was sticking to my daily calories the majority of the time, and exercising at least two times a week. Well, I've just weighed myself and guess what? Not a single pound lost. I am generally so upset and annoyed by this, I really thought I would have lost at least four pounds. I'm trying to convince myself that being on my period has caused me to add a few pounds, but I know that's all a lie. Somebody please help, why has this happened?

Replies

• Natx83
    Natx83 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    Hard to say, what's your calorie goal? Have you taken any measurements previously, sometimes you might not see results on the scale but have still lost cm/inches from parts of your body!
  • smith176
    smith176 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I try to eat between 1000 and 1200 a day. I already know that's quite low, but surely that cannot be stopping me from losing even a pound in a month? No I haven't tried measurements, I may have to start doing that if it will give me peace of mind!
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Drink? Calories from drink can get away on you a bit.

Also from the food you don't realise you ate when you had a drink or two.

Other than that I'd just say 'keep on trucking' and yes, you can gain 4lb due to time of month. I only ever lost weight 2 weeks a month; first week I'd lose 5lb, 2nd week I'd lose 1lb, next week nothing, next week gain...
  • Natx83
    Options
    Also what of your water intake... If your sodium intake is high, along with not drinking a lot of water, your body will retain the water to deal with the sodium. You may have actually lost weight as in fat but have retained an amount of water equal to that.
  • Natx83
    Options
    I've taken starting measurements but am yet to measure again. I know they have changed, from clothes it ring different looser in places like the waist where I've lost, and tight in others like my biceps where I have gained muscle. So even I hadn't lost last week I would still know that my body is changing :)

I don't completely understand the whole starvation mode your body can get into, but from what've read, if you are at a low calorie goal such as yourself and have platued for a period of time, it's been said that increasing your calorie intake say to 1400 will actually kick start your body again out of that mode and stop retaining everything as it does when it thinks your are starving yourself. Make sense at all?
  • smith176
    smith176 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I haven't really drank that much recently, and when I do I make sure I add it to my calories but I guess that could be a factor.

Yeah I've heard about the whole starvation mode thing but wasn't too sure how much of it I believed. To be honest I find it difficult to even reach 1200 on most days but I might try increasing my intake slightly for the next couple of days and see where that gets me. Thanks for the help guys :)