theres a lady at my gyn who...

Options
Uses the same cardio machine as me I do 30 min she does 45 shes always encouraging me to do the 45 with her...I work as hard as possible in 30 to get that part over with then focus on a muscle group with weight training. I think we get the same Cal burn anyway. Is there any benefit to following her lead? Ps *gym sorry

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    different strokes for different folks.

maybe you can switch it up though. do her routine and then next time she can do yours. it doesnt hurt to try something new

and i'm assuming you mean gym, i cant think what type of 45 minute routine one can have at the gynecologist's office :laugh:
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    edit: nevermind
  • NotParis
    NotParis Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Switching it up will help with fitness, tone and weight loss. Extending your time on the machine will increase your stamina. Do you do other cardio? Make sure you are doing something they classify as weight bearing i.e.
    Brisk walking, jogging, and hiking.
    Yard work such as pushing a lawnmower and heavy gardening.
    Team sports, such as soccer, baseball, and basketball.
    Dancing, step aerobics, and stair climbing.
    Tennis and other racquet sports.
    Skiing, skating, karate, and bowling.
    This is important especially for women and long term bone health. If you are happy with your 30 minutes, just push yourself harder!
  • FlynnMacCallister
    FlynnMacCallister Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Does she do the weights part?
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Idk if she does the weights part. I play softball once or twice a week. Bowl occasionally. Kickball and softball league again soon. I just think...I'm losing weight and gaining stamina...don't know if there is a reason to increase? I like eating back the cals but 30 min gives me plenty
  • jamiek0hler
    Options
    My trainer told me to do weights first, then cardio. You supposedly burn more calories.
  • palmerig88
    Options
    Lol. My husband said that is so u have more energy to lift...I like getting it over with
  • akjmart2002
    akjmart2002 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Lol. My husband said that is so u have more energy to lift...I like getting it over with

Meh.

I take some time to drink water and let the heart rate come down between a running session and lifting. Otherwise, my energy for a workout is more dependent on how much I've had to eat that day before the gym.

So in the name of science, I've alternated this between days of the week for several weeks now:

run 1 mile @ 6.5 mph
    do StrongLifts and various bodyweight lifts, plus antagonist muscles and rotator cuffs for 45 min - 1 hour
    run 3 miles @ 6.5 - 7 mph

or

run 5 minutes at 5 mph
    StrongLifts etc
    run 3 mi
    do a CrossFit-esque interval workout

I haven't really noticed a difference in my energy levels during these two types of workouts, other than I'm freaking worked by the end!!
  • palmerig88
    Options
    I get on a arc trainer (planet fitness) then do for example....today was 5 sets ea. Of 10 reps per side of lifting. I did triceps then shoulders with a machine pulley then with free weights. Thought they were all triceps. Forgot what to do hubby wasn't there. Should've done overhead press instead of triceps machine. Alas
  • FlynnMacCallister
    FlynnMacCallister Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Idk if she does the weights part. I play softball once or twice a week. Bowl occasionally. Kickball and softball league again soon. I just think...I'm losing weight and gaining stamina...don't know if there is a reason to increase? I like eating back the cals but 30 min gives me plenty

Then don't worry. Especially if you have to worry about time constraints, (and who doesn't?) the weights are doing you plenty of good.
  • jennibell81
    Options
    My trainer told me to do weights first, then cardio. You supposedly burn more calories.

^^^^
    This is what I was told too!!....First week trying so we shall see!!
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I would do it but only so I could gain a fitness buddy! :happy:
  • KPainter70
    KPainter70 Posts: 152
    Options
    Weights first so your energy and strength are not depleted. Also if you're doing cardio just to get it over with, you could spend a little more time on weights and skip the cardio altogether or cut it in half.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

I don't think you're really gonna burn more. But it's easier to lift better if you haven't worn yourself out with cardio.

I'd always do a 5-10 minute warmup, weights, then cardio if I was doing any that day.

To answer the OP: don't worry so much about what the other people are doing. If you have your routine down, stick to it. Don't skip out on the weights to do another 15 minutes of cardio with someone
  • palmerig88
    Options
    Ok thanks :) yeah I like the weights. I'm going toward my goal of hitting a homerun
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

30 min is enough for most people to improve/maintain cardiovascular health. If you don't want to do more, then there is no need.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    The only real benefit I see to this is having a workout partner to help you push and encourage you to show up. Otherwise not really, especially if it would take away from your weights.
  • santent
    santent Posts: 7
    Options
    If you keep a steady weight training session (taking anywhere from 30-60 second breaks in between sets) and you workout decently hard, you generally burn as many calories lifting weights as you do if you were doing cardio in your Fat Loss Range. Once you start getting your heart rate up to the 80% area for "Heart Target" range is when you really start to burn the calories.

Also, HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) has been shown to be the "best" method of breaking fat off from places in your body and then burning it off as energy during cardio. Generally, the method is HIIT for 10 intervals > Then Regular cardio.