Kettlebells, anyone??

Options
I am about to switch my workout routine to the kettlebell workouts and besides the things I am reading and what I see on The Biggest Loser I don't know much about them. If anyone knows anything about them or has any good workouts with them can you please let me know?

Replies

• xxx_Pink_Princess_xxx
    xxx_Pink_Princess_xxx Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Kettlebelss are great! I have been going to a class for over a year now once a week, great cardio combined with weights - ideal :) xxx
  • sarahjenkins77
    sarahjenkins77 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've just bought myself a kettlebell and ordered a dvd from amazon which has really good reviews and just waiting for it to arrive now. Its called Power Body: Kettlebell Bootcamp [DVD]. Hope this is some help.

Good luck
  • Mira710
    Mira710 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I love Jillian Michaels' kettlebell workout dvd. So much fun!
  • LovesGG
    LovesGG Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I didn't know what to do with them at first. But I went on Youtube and searched and found a very rich database that I always refer back too. Give Youtube a shot and see what happens :)
  • ball858
    ball858 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've just bought myself a kettlebell and ordered a dvd from amazon which has really good reviews and just waiting for it to arrive now. Its called Power Body: Kettlebell Bootcamp [DVD]. Hope this is some help.

Good luck

as above the best way is to get a video or join a class,but I personnally say join a class as you need to ensure you get the correct technique or you can hurt your back, and don't drop it on your foot (from experience)
  • accacf
    accacf Posts: 4
    Options
    If you do Kettlebell exercises incorrectly you can do a lot of damage to your body, so my Kettlebell instructor insists on everyone attending either his bootcamp or induction, before they attend any classes. This is so they can be taught the correct techniques and get the most out of the exercises you do. So I'd recommend going to a local induction first and you'll be swinging, cleaning, snatching, dead lifting and goblet squatting in the right way! Once you've got the hang of it, you can always buy your own bells and workout at home.

Enjoy!
  • annams76
    annams76 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I workout at the gym on base and I don't think they have any kettlebell classes but I will see if I can find anything off base. Thanks everyone. =)
  • chedges9090
    chedges9090 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I have taken 1 kettlebell class.. and used a kettlebell with a personal trainer. Love them. I got a beginner DVD for Christmas and a Kettlebell :) Am actually going to try the beginner routine this morning . ( had a foot fracture..so, just now getting to this !) But, my DVD has a "technique/introduction" first on some of the primary moves. Very helpful. Sorry, not sure of the DVD name, but my son found it on Amazon.com and it does say "beginner". great workout!! Will surprise you the next day !
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    The way they use kettlebells on Biggest Loser is goofy. Their kettlebell swings are more of an arm and shoulder exercise than a hip and leg exercise like they should be. Check out books and DVDs from Dragon Door (Pavel Tsatsouline) and Art of Strength. These are people that brought kettlebells into the limelight in the US, rather than celebrity trainers jumping on the kettlebell bandwagon to sell another video.

Getting one-on-one instruction, as someone already mentioned, is also good advice. But absent that, the books and videos from the sources I mentioned do a very good job explaining proper form.
  • KatManx
    KatManx Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I found it brilliant. I do kettlercise twice a week and kettlebells once a week. Toned me up great and a great workout!
  • Pennythekat
    Options

Good luck

as above the best way is to get a video or join a class,but I personnally say join a class as you need to ensure you get the correct technique or you can hurt your back, and don't drop it on your foot (from experience)

Exactly what I was going to say. I started with a kettlebell at home and dropped it once, landed on my foot (I was ok, wasn't that bad) and found a trainer that day. I work with my trainer 3x a week and everything revolves around Kettlebells. I've seen such amazing results in the past month that I've been working with her! If you can find a trainer and it's in your budget, I highly recommend it!
  • annams76
    annams76 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I will look into all of these. I don't want hurt myself again. I was sedentary for a year and a half because of 3 abdominal surgeries so now that I am capable to do things again I want to get this weight back off. I keep hearing amazing things about this workout and the results everyone talks about are the results I need and want.
  • withervein
    withervein Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Great video tutorials and workouts based around a training at home can be found at myomytv.com Best, you can watch Marianne do the workouts and see that yes, it's okay to get out of breath cause this stuff can be difficult!

Lots of info and motivation.
  • cat_1977
    cat_1977 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Just tried level one of Jullian Michaels Shred it with Weights. It was HARD! It would seem my kettlebell is too heavy :(
    Kinda loved it though - really felt it working (when I wasn't taking breaks for puffing and panting!)
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I personally think there's too much hype behind KB's. For a novice to intermediate lifter you're not gonna notice much difference between using DB's and using KB's. KB's have their weight distributed different which can provide a different stimulus but it's not going to be all that much better than a DB, in general of course. I'd say invest in a nice set of adjustable DB's, you'll have these forever. Otherwise you'll have KB's of all different weights lying around your house and as you progress some will become useless.
  • Saffyra
    Saffyra Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I get a great workout using a kettlebell.

I use Jillian Michaels Shred it with Weights (its a kettlebell workout).

Its a great core workout and really gets the hamstrings, too. It's very effective.

That being said I did have my husband teach me how to properly use the kettlebell. He took kettlebell training at his gym for 12 weeks so I did have a very good tutor.

I agree that you should find a tutorial online for proper technique if you can't find a trainer or someone who can help you.

I started with a 15lb and am moving up to 25lb. It hasn't arrived yet though. It is true that the lower weight ones will become useless. But I do enjoy the workout and its a great change from free weights.