Is Ketchup really that bad for you?

Options
I can easily fit a tablespoon of it into my calories and my diet is very low in sugar,

It turns a plain egg sandwich (poached eggs no butter) into a lovely one so wandering whether or not to include it still?

Are there any healthier alternatives?

Replies

• snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    Why is ketchup bad for you? If it fits your macros and calories... eat it!
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    its got loads of colouring and preservatives of course its bad for you! you can buy more organic ones with low salt low sugar (normal ketchup is very high sugar). check the label.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    It's not bad, if it fits. But I do like the kind with no high fructose corn syrup. Tastes yummy and a little better for you all around.

Enjoy!
  • Louise1583
    Louise1583 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I definitely couldn't give up ketchup! Unless you're eating a bottle a day and going way over your recommended allowances as a result, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

You know what, biggest lesson I've learnt so far - pretty much ANYTHING is fine in moderation.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it too much, you could always make your own though with nothing artificial in x
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I tend to buy the organic low sugar and sodium kind, tastes the same to me.
  • littledumplings
    littledumplings Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    it's the best source of lycopene there is! and Heinz took the preservatives out years ago...thats why you need to keep it in a fridge after opening now. No artificial colours either..... :)
  • sa1712
    sa1712 Posts: 11
    Options
    it's the best source of lycopene there is! and Heinz took the preservatives out years ago...thats why you need to keep it in a fridge after opening now. No artificial colours either..... :)

interesting, thanks :)
  • TinaLTaylor79
    TinaLTaylor79 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    What do ppl eat a tbs or 2 with whatever they are eating?! Seriously its not going to hurt you, especially for the small amount of ketchup you would have...I eat it, i made it to my goal weight and i am very healthy...i dont see a problem with it unless your eating ALOT of ketchup...lol
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    It isn't that bad as you wouldn't use a large quantity of it.

I do use the reduced salt & sugar one though as it tastes pretty much the same and is slightly better for you.
  • mickipedia
    mickipedia Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    I can easily fit a tablespoon of it into my calories and my diet is very low in sugar,

It turns a plain egg sandwich (poached eggs no butter) into a lovely one so wandering whether or not to include it still?

Are there any healthier alternatives?

I have the image of you sat there refreshing this page on your laptop in one hand and holding a bottle of ketchup in the other slowly watching your poached egg sammich get very cold.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    its got loads of colouring and preservatives of course its bad for you! you can buy more organic ones with low salt low sugar (normal ketchup is very high sugar). check the label.

To be honest, I dont use ketchup. Even the No-Fructose Cornsyrup type, we dont have in the house. I dont even miss it.
  • crystal8208
    crystal8208 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Ketchup's always better than mayo.....If it fits in your calories, then go for it. Isn't it only like 25 cals for a tablespoon?
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I think I'll go make a ketchup smoothie now.....

or not.
  • Louise1583
    Louise1583 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    If you really want an alternative, I sometimes spread a little bit of extra-concentrated tomato puree on toast under eggs, it gives that strong tomato flavour without many calories. There is something very satisfying about dipping things in ketchup though...
  • lilojoke
    lilojoke Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Ketchup is a vegetable it is good for you! LOL ;)
  • hyde1977
    hyde1977 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    No one ever got fat eatting Ketchup! Unless they are drinking the entire bottle each day!

My eggs always have it! Yes I have learned that you only need 1tbsp and I do measure it now as opposed to just pouring it all over the place!
  • onmywaytoskinny155
    onmywaytoskinny155 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Ketchup should be the least of your worries. If you want food that has nothing bad in it plant a garden and only eat from that. Don't ever go to the grocery store again.
  • dogwhisperette
    dogwhisperette Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Well, for me. I don't eat enough of it but do love it on certain things so why not? I add it to my diary and as long as I am still within my limits who really cares? I could think of much worst things to worry about being unhealthy for you. Enjoy!!!
  • chocciechip
    chocciechip Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I have the image of you sat there refreshing this page on your laptop in one hand and holding a bottle of ketchup in the other slowly watching your poached egg sammich get very cold.
    [/quote]

hahahaha