Starting to strength train

Options
I posted a topic earlier today questioning "I've never see anyone who only does cardio look good" and came to the decision that I would ike to start strength training. Try something new and see how it changes my body... ok so I have a 5lb and 2lb set of weights and my own body weight... any suggestions of where to start? I'm not really into buying any workout programs or large pieces of eqipment.

Helpful websites that don't speak in code?

I would mostly like to hear from those who actually enjoy strength training... what are some exercises you do that you like and have worked well for you? Remember I'm just starting... pretty weak upper body, and just want to get a little definition :)

Replies

• wady24
    wady24 Posts: 75
    Options
    There are more experienced people on the forum who can help you a lot more than me...but here is my quick advice.

Try this:

http://www.gymjunkies.com/home-workout-for-beginner/

Its basically a body weight strength training workout. From experience I can tell you that it is not easy and will defiinltey give you the definition you are looking for. Feel free to add the 2 and 5 lb weights you have. However, I would say that most of the people on MFP that have really good definition and muscle use heavy weights to get that look. But I think you will really enjoy these workouts.
  • SnazzyTraveller
    SnazzyTraveller Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    thx a lot i'll check it out! :)
  • jamja72
    jamja72 Posts: 192
    Options
    Check out the 30 day shred
  • Addison559
    Options
    If you only have 5 pounds (the usual weight of a woman's purse) stick with mostly body weight, it will provide more resistance than 5 pounds could ever offer.

Check out the book: Convict Conditioning.
  • SnazzyTraveller
    Options
    thanks jamja :))
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Glad you came around. And all it took was a 10 page arguement thread :p

Anyway,
    I'd just do some searching for good bodyweight routines.
    And I'd invest 20 bucks into a pullup bar. You can make decent progress doing things like lunges, pushups, and pullups.
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Second the shred and buuuuuuump
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women is a great book and a great place to start. It tells you why you should lift heavy, etc. :smile:
  • SnazzyTraveller
    Options
    yah haha i dont think ive ever had so much feedback from i topic i posted! must be a very contradictory topic.... either way need a change in workout routine so may as well give it a shot :) thx!

(forgot to "quote" but this is for u, muscley man, about 3 msgs up)
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    ^^Lol. definiately started a sh**storm.

I needed something to do yesterday, so that took up a little time :D
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I do P90X and love it! You do have to purchase a few things, but not a ton. Just a few hand weights and a chin up bar or resistance bands.

Also, I would get some heavier weights as well. I started with 5 and 8 pound weights and promptly realized those weren't heavy enough.....my purse probably weighs five pounds lol. I'm now using ten and fifteen pound weights for most exercises :) I know it's not much, but it still hurts (in a good way lol). My goal is to be using 25 pounds or more for each exercise, still not much, but a vast improvement for where I started. :)

From what I've learned, to retain the muscle you have on a calorie shortage (diet) then you shoukd be working those muscles to failure each time with low reps. So if you can curl your five pound weight forty times, then you should up it until you can only do it maybe 8-10 times.

Example: when I started I could curl my 5 pound weight until the cows came home so I upped to ten pounds. I could still do about 13 bicep curls with that one so I upped to fifteen pounds. Now, I can curl the fifteens about 8 times the first set then only six times the next two sets. So now I'm using the proper weight. When I can reach twelve or so reps with good form, I'll up it to my twenty pound weights and just keep going from there.

The nearest gym here is over an hour drive away, so I have to work with what I can fit into my house lol. I do alot of other exercises and try to use the weights for each one. When I squat or lunge I hold a ten pound weight in each hand to add to the resistance.

You could also check out the book New Rules For Lifting For Women. It has alot to offer in terms of information and exercises you can do. I plan to start the books exercise plan when I'm done P90X.

I hope this all made sense lol.

Good luck on your journey! :)
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Good choice in starting strength training! :drinker:

It really is amazing and changes your body to looking much more athletic & fit! However, in saying that, it did take me a while to see definition... I have been lifting weights since June last year (with a little break due to stress last year) and I started back really strong in January. I have been lifting what are heavy weights for me however I feel like in just the past few weeks I have been seeing real definition (I guess this is possible now with fat disappearing) and I guess I was doing it slightly wrong... so my tip for you is to do weights minimum 3 times per week and when lifting weights to choose a weight and do as many reps as possible ---- keep going --- don't just stop at 8-10 reps... if you can keep going do it... as that will indicate that the weight is too light. Keep upping your weights until your body can only physically do 6-10 reps... I am already stronger in knowing this!

I agree with the others... buy heavier hand weights and a pull up bar.... :smile:

Good luck