Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Possible Anorexia/Undereating Problem

I've been dieting for a few months now, and I didn't really start weighing myself until I had already gotten quite a bit thinner, probably about 15 pounds. I didn't have access to a scale at first. After that, I lost about 10 more pounds. This was all in the space of about 2 or 3 months, and was achieved by heavily restricted dieting and cycling.

I've had difficulty recently losing weight, and I thought maybe it was because I was eating more than I had been. I decided to start counting calories, and so I started using this site just today, on a day that was about average, but I felt like I had eaten too much, like I often do. After adding everything together, I had had just over 1000 calories today. What does a diet of about 1000 calories a day do? Is it unhealthy? On many days I also go to the gym, usually to do fat-burn cardio exercise, sometimes to do weight training, mostly for muscle tone.

I'm 5'11" and 165 pounds, 18 years old and male. That puts my BMI at 23 (higher range of healthy, close to overweight). What should I do with my diet? Any advice would be appreciated. I'm honestly new to all of this, and the specifics of dieting. My plan before was never really calculated, it was pretty much just "eat a lot less, eat healthy things, and go to the gym as often as possible" (which is usually about 3 - 5 times a week).

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    If you're concerned about possible anorexia, you should see a doctor or therapist right away.
    As a layperson, 1000 calories a day for a guy your height, seems very low.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Hi Poiven, a lot of people are worried about their BMI, which is just the ratio between their height and weight. This number is important to doctors, but these numbers can't tell you how much fat is on your body. A BMI chart will have a bodybuilder as being obese, when he or she isn't.

Don't track your body fat percentage, track your body fat percentage. You can be obese on the BMI chart and healthy on the bodyfat chart.

You can afford it, buy either a body fat scale that also shows your bmi or buy the body fat handheld monitor that show the bmi too. You will see the difference between your body fat percentage number and bmi.

You can find a body fat percentage chart online that shows you range.

Here is a link, you can copy to see a body fat percentage chart. http://weightlossbase.org/wp-content/uploads/Body_Fat_Percentage.jpg.
  • Shalimarmandy
    Shalimarmandy Posts: 409 Member
    If you're concerned about possible anorexia, you should see a doctor or therapist right away.

I agree! Especially if you are working out on top of that! You should see a doctor but until you get an appt you should try to at MINIMUM get over 1200 calories per day. I can't see your food diary so I can't give specifics but if you are just not hungry try drinking some calories with protien shakes and smoothies... Hope that help until you can see a doctor!
  • myurav
    myurav Posts: 165 Member
    hi there,

1000 calories is extreme for an 18 year old male. as you are still growing, you need those calories to build muscle. i think it depends what your goals are - if you want to slim down, you should be in a calorie deficit, but it should not be that low. i used fat2fitradio.com (http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/) to look at what they would suggest if you wanted to maintain your current weight...and the calculator there says you should be able to eat 2200 calories (at a sedentary level) and maintain your weight. of course, you don't need to jump to that number all at once, but you could gradually increase your calories. you are not getting enough food to your body.

in my opinion, 165 for a 5'11 male is a perfectly healthy weight. if you want to put on muscle, you definitely need to increase your calories and weight training. right now, you're not eating enough to build any muscle. speaking from personal experience, i started losing weight faster when i started upping my calorie intake (i'm still playing around with the numbers). not only that, but my mood became so much more positive and i just felt more energy.

if you're worried about being able to eat more calories, add nuts to your diet. great way to get in healthy fats and calories.

good luck!
  • beth40n2
    beth40n2 Posts: 233 Member
    See a doctor right away. My doctor told me as a 52 yr old women not to go under 1200 calories a day. I think a young man should be eating 2000 a day.
  • brobin41101
    brobin41101 Posts: 212 Member
    I would suggest you go and talk to a good nutritionist. I find they are very eager to guide you as to what you need to do to achieve a healthy body. Good Luck :flowerforyou:
  • You need to be taking in no less than 1400 calories a day after workout. I have a problem eating back my burned calories. But we are about the same height but I weigh 192 and I take in over 1900 calories a day. If you don't eat enough your body will store fat instead of burn it. And as far as your weight with your height that actually seems about right.
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    first of all, i appreciate you coming forth with this. many people have a problem & can't even accept it, unfortunately.

i consume 1000-1200 calories a day. i'm a very healthy & fit 23 year old, almost 5'4" and 128-130 lbs. this site tells me to consume 1200 cals PLUS the cals that i have gained from exercise but my stomach can't take much past 1200 cals.

with that said, i am afraid you are under-eating for someone your height, especially if you exercise a lot.

our bodies need tons of carbs, fats & protein when working out.. "healthy" ones.

keep us posted, please! and do ask someone you are close with for help...they'll be happy you did!

karina
  • Thanks for all of the support. I suppose I should have specified that my goal was to get down to between 150-155.. there's still some pudge that I would like to work off. 1000 is probably the wrong number to be going for, though, and I'll try to up it. I'll keep using the calculator and see what it says day to day, and see if today was for some reason just a weird day for my diet. Thanks a lot you guys.
  • jp09m
    jp09m Posts: 89

I agree! Especially if you are working out on top of that! You should see a doctor but until you get an appt you should try to at MINIMUM get over 1200 calories per day. I can't see your food diary so I can't give specifics but if you are just not hungry try drinking some calories with protien shakes and smoothies... Hope that help until you can see a doctor!

assuming your an active person 1200 still isnt even enough. males should be eating a minimum of 1400 per day. again... assuming you are active you will still like 1.5-2lbs a week which is still a lot .
  • Just ate some almonds, that got me up to 1220 calories for today. I was a bit low on protein, but I was close to the limit on fat and carbs. Anything that's just calories and protein without fat or carbs that I should eat, or should I just call it a day? According to my calculator, I should be aiming for about 1420 calories.
  • shannonbillows
    shannonbillows Posts: 16 Member
    Hey, i would like to add my 2 cents. Its only a problem if you think its a problem. It all really depends on your Goals, what current shape your in. What your trying to achieve etc etc.

1. 1000 cals is quite low, i am 6ft 150 pounds, very low body fat but my waist is very porportionate to my hight, i am currently eating 1000 cals a day because i am cutting as much fat as i possible can in the next 3 week ( see there is a purpose)

2. Aslong as you are getting enough protein, carbs and fats the minimum any guy ccan eat is as low as 800 a day. why not go to the docter and see if your nutrient deficient. i can almost guarantee your probably not. if you are, take a multivitamin or eat something that high in that nutrient. aslong as you are weight training you will not lose muscle mass, muscle mass becomes and energy source one someone gets become a really really low body fat around the 6% mark and you have to be REALLY ripped to get to that state.

3. its not fun eating 1000 a day there is so much good food you can be eating and still be losing fat if that is your goal. along as its all within reason and your not doing it as punishment.

figure out your bmr - eat less than it to lose fat, eat more to gain fat. its all about calories in vs calories out
    like i said i know im 6 ft i can eat approx 1800 cals a day, i eat 1000 and work my *kitten* off in the gym and i am fine i normaly get atleast 1200-1400- when i am generaly dieting but i recomend 1000 cals as very low and shouldnt be done anymore than 2 weeks at MAX for a major cut down. then return back to 12-1400 for a week or 2 and continue the process till you are at the desired body shape.

once there you can then eat maintenance again! Hope this helps!

i highly recommend you do some reading up on

Rusty Moore Fitness black book
    Brad Pilon - Eat stop eat
    John Barban - Adonis lifestyle. these guys are fantastic for information regarding muscle building fat loss and what you need to be looking out for.
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    I might have a problem, too.... But I don't want to get help for it because I'm scared.... I'm scared that I actually do have a problem... It's confusing to understand...
  • Hi

I sympathize since I am new to this myself. I have noticed that most days I am way under my calorie intake too. I have never been a big eater and I am trying to eat more so that I don't go into starvation mode which it keeps warning me about and slowing my metobolism. I eat when I am hungry sometimes that can be hours before I eat another meal. So I wish I had an answer maybe you should talk to your doctor or a dietician.

:wink:
  • Katahna
    Katahna Posts: 326 Member
    Hi everyone,

They call it a "problem" but it's not a problem if you don't alow it to be, it makes me sad to know that some people don't realise that you are your own master.

Start looking at facts, for example, when I was feeling bad about something I ate, I would punish my nutrition for it, but at the end of the day, if you have a deficit, you're going to see progress, just work out the facts for your situation, and stick to them, then you will always be safe.

I now know that eating a muffin and a piece of chocolate won't make me fat, because I'm still within my calorie limit.

I would recommend upping your calorie limit to about 1,500 or 1,800, that way you can still be under your limit and still feel like you've accomplished something, if that makes sense =]
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    eat some peanut butter, great way to get cals up.
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Anyone that feels that they have an eating disorder should seek medical advice end of! All the advice no matter how good the intentions are on MFP can not be a substitute for professional help.

If you recognise that you have a problem(eating disorder) with your food, then it is good that you ask for advice because you want to address the problems you have.

But I would take all advice with a pinch of salt, unless it comes from someone that has walked in your shoes and made a recovery from it.

Just my opinion x
  • BMI is BS.

I'm 5'5" and 153#. That puts me at a BMI of 25.5, which is considered overweight. I've always been stocky, my shoulders are 42 on a 5'5" frame....

However, last time I checked my body fat % I was at 15.3%. I'm aiming for 12%, but 15.3 is considered 'fitness' for me.

I've been marathon training for months now and letting the resistance training lax, so I've gotten a little noodly. I've recently started strength training again, and I actually expect to GAIN weight and REDUCE body fat. And I'm happy about that.

so IMHO.... F*$k BMI. And like other posters have said, do what makes you feel healthy. If you feel unhealthy about what you're doing than change it. If you need help changing it, there are a ton of medical and therapeutic resources available.

Some ED resources:
    http://www.something-fishy.org/
    http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/