how often to work out

Options
i have seemed to have gotten addicted to exercise!
i can no longer sit down in the morning with a cuppa, ciggy and jeremy kyle.... i have to put my xbox on and work out!
a few freinds have said i need to have rest days to give my muscles chance to recover, but how vital is it?
my average burn was apprx 500 cals a day, but for the last 2 days its been over 1000.
i try to vary my workouts, but as they are all over fitness, it can be hard.
any hints and advice would be appreciated

Replies

• fejuliegaukel
    Options
    Nothing wrong with doing something physical everyday... do cardio on the days you're not doing weight/strength training. It's true that your body needs recovery... why not try something less intensive on your recovery days, like yoga, walking/hiking or bike riding... Yoga is very good for toning and stretching as well as helping keep a clear mind
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    Cardio is okay every day as long as your body is up to it. Strength training benefits from breaks between working the same muscle groups, though. You're doing great!
  • mrsjennifermaffei
    Options
    Pace yourself to not get too winded and exhausted during your exercises. Stretch. Drink lots of water and eat properly and there shouldn't be any issues with you working out.
  • AdamBellfpt
    AdamBellfpt Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    It's really important to be active, but at the same time it's also important to let your body rest so muscles can recover!
    Personally My advice would be try and have at least one day when you're doing very light cardio or yoga or stretching an that's it for that day. It mixed things up a bit!
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Take a break when you feel tired, if you still feel motivated to work out after 10 straight days, well then make it 11.
  • fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I agree with all comments. I think it's ok to do some form of physical activity every day. As for strength training, I don't think you should ever work the same area on consecutive days. A former trainer told me the abs were the only muscles that can be worked every day.

I think you need a rest day at least once a week from strength training with alternating muscle groups being worked all other days. Essentially giving each muscle group at least a days' rest to build and repair.

I think cardio can be done every day as long as you don't do high-intensity cardio every day. I walk or do yoga or a dance DVD on the days that I rest from strength training. I also do cardio most afternoons to help with the calorie burn.
  • charlee_bubbles
    Options
    thanks to u all!!.. im doing mostly cardio. tho i do stretches and ive done a couple of yoga and zen exercises when it comes up on my biggest loser programme.. i am looking at finding more stretch programmes without spending much more money.
    so i guess i shall start with some heavier weights now......
    i do use 1kg wrist weights and 1kg dumbells when im doing my step and cardio boxing...time to up the weight!!
  • Summerlove1993
    Summerlove1993 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    A few years ago, I hired a personal trainer. She was hardcore. I was very clear about my limitations regarding my knees. She made it her business to push me past my limits, and I ended up getting injured. I went from exercising regularly to nothing at all for several weeks. When I got the go-ahead to work out again, I continually had setbacks because of the injury.

Learn from my mistake and don't push your body harder than it wants to go. Listen to your body, and if your body tells you to take a break, then do so. There is always tomorrow.
  • fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Gaiam's Core Cross Train Yoga with Rodney Yee is an excellent routine. It's 30 minutes with quick movements between poses. It really helped me prep for the interval training I'm doing now. I was much more flexible at the outset because I did that first for about 2 weeks. It's also very relaxing at the end of a day. And you will sweat buckets!!
  • fejuliegaukel
    Options
    There are TONS of great stretching/yoga/pilates videos on youtube.... for FREE!
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    weight training I'd stay between 2 and 4 days per week.

cardio you can do on a regular basis, but give yourself at least one day per week to rest.

a lot of people overwork themselves at the start and go way overboard. it doesn't get you results any faster, but it will burn you out faster and make people quit working out.
  • kymme16
    kymme16 Posts: 15
    Options
    work out as much as you want just make sure you mix it up and that your eating enough calories so that your not starving ur body, you need calories to burn
  • jcgrant43
    jcgrant43 Posts: 64
    Options
    weight training I'd stay between 2 and 4 days per week.

cardio you can do on a regular basis, but give yourself at least one day per week to rest.

a lot of people overwork themselves at the start and go way overboard. it doesn't get you results any faster, but it will burn you out faster and make people quit working out.

Excellent advice!