So... I'm getting my wisdom teeth extracted...

Options
Ok, Friday is the day.... having 6 teeth taken out and will likely only be able to eat soft foods for awhile. I don't want my soft food diet to interfere with my healthy food lifestyle! I know mashed potatoes, apple sauce, pudding, and yogurt are the obvious things to eat - but that just sounds to me like a lot of simple carbs.

Does anyone have any good ideas for healthy soft foods? I'd really love to make green smoothies that have low sugar content... Recipes and other advice would be much appreciated!

Replies

• TamsinEllis
    TamsinEllis Posts: 293
    Options
    I'm not sure what you are like with pain, but when I was 10 I have all of my molars taken out (I had my wisdom teeth by age nine and because of a birth defect they were a lot healthier then my molars) as it was I was put under general anesthetic because of my age, but I only needed to eat soft food for a day, after then I was fine on solids (just don't choose things with sharp pokey corners like crisps lol). But steamed veggies like cabbage, kale etc should be fine as soft foods, mashed swede, home made soups, quinoa should be fine as well, homemade patties/rissoles, sloppy joes, rice pudding (made like in Bangladesh with coconut milk and spices), soft fruits like kiwis, raspberries, bananas. There are plenty of foods you can eat so don't worry about it :)
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I don't really remember eating anything besides protein shakes and ice cream when I got mine removed. My suggestion is to keep up on your pain killers, do not let the pain start, because once it gets started is sooo much harder to get rid of. Take the pain killers every 4 hours (or somewhere around there depending on the dose) even if you're not hurting yet. One of my holes where the tooth came out got infected and I had to go in so they could clean it out. NOT FUN... so try to get help from someone with a strong stomach to help you clean out the holes. I am getting slightly queezy thinking about it...

Anyway, my suggestion is ensure and other protein drinks.
  • ccarre81
    ccarre81 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Homemade soup. My favorites are cream of asparagus and red thai curry. Both my versions are low calorie, low fat, healthy and delicious.

For the asparagus soup, sautee (in butter or olive oil) 1 large onion, 1 bunch of asparagus and 3-4 celery stalks. Add chicken broth (whole box) and simmer until tender (add water if not enough liquid), blend until smooth, return to pot, simmer for approx. 5 minutes, stir in milk (about 1/2 cup or more if you like... you can also use cream if you need to add a bit of calories to your diet).

For the thai soup (addicted to it right now)... sautee (in butter or olive oil) 1 large onion, 1 large red peppper, 4 large carrots, 1/2 bunch of asparagus, 1-2 tomatoes (or a can of tomatoes). Add about 1 teaspoon of each of the following: chili powder, cumin, corriander, curry powder (or thai paste), tumeric, sriracha sauce (to taste). Stir and simmer 1-2 minutes. Add one box of chicken broth and one can of V8 (or tomato juice)... add water if there's not enough liquid. Simmer until tender. Transfer to blender and blend until smooth, return to pot and simmer for approx. 5 minutes. Add one can of coconut milk (or plain milk if you prefer).

Good luck with the extraction.
  • lynheff
    lynheff Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Eating shouldn't be a problem for more than two or three days. There are lots of high protein-low calorie powders out there for smoothies. Use a blender to add whatever--fresh frozen spinach, frozen fruit. Good luck!
  • MsPetuniaPig
    MsPetuniaPig Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Wisdom teeth removal is no picnic. I was not able to chew for almost two weeks. My face was so swollen it was square. Then nice yellow bruises colored my face. It looked like I took dandelions and rubbed them all over. The Oral Surgeon will give you a list of things to remember like nothing hot and nothing too cold, nothing acidic, no little particles that can get into stitches, and worst of all... The whole deal makes you kinda queasy. I don't have any really good suggestions for you except that I'll say a little prayer for ya and do what you have to do during and fix it after! Good luck!
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    mashed sweet potatoes, butternut squash, mashed cauliflower is surprisingly good...

lots of fruits are probably soft enough - peaches, pears, watermelon..

tofu, if you like it, could be made into some "squishy" dishes (that makes it sound gross though, lol)

I remember eating pasta as long is was slightly over-cooked , but that's just another carb...

invest in some yummy protein powder! and Carnation Instant Breakfast powder is pretty good (I've only tried chocolate).
  • Lady_who_Lunches
    Options
    Trust me, it's no fun at all. I had 4 taken out at the same time and they stich your gums to the inside of your mouth. You look like you have been in a fight and the pain is as bad as childbirth. Sorry but I wouldn't be looking forward to this whatsoever.

Good Luck though!
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Don't take the gauze out too early (find out BEFORE they knock you out) and don't push it. I took the gauze out too early (they didn't tell me how long to wait), drank too soon (ditto) and ate noodles (slurping). Then I got dry sockets. Horrible, awful pain. And the worst tasting medicine known to man. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
    For the first day, I would suggest buying a syringe. It's easier to syringe water into your mouth than to pour it in. And really, you don't even want the suction of sipping from a glass. Use a spoon to gently place soft food into your mouth. It's just a few days and you won't be very hungry anyway.
    Take your painkillers, take your antibiotics and take it easy. I wasn't in any pain until the dry sockets kicked in. I was a little loopy from the painkillers but nothing hurt. Then by Monday morning (following Friday morning surgery) it felt like someone was driving nails into the holes.
    I had to go to a wedding 900 miles away that week so after my boyfriend left work early to take me to the surgeon to get the pain checked out, he had to spend the next week flushing and packing the holes with medicine. Not fun. Our first road trip together and he has to flush food particles out of my mouth. Romantic. I did marry him though so it all worked out.
    The moral of the story? Get written care instructions from your surgeon and FOLLOW them. You'll be fine.
  • amberdawn02
    amberdawn02 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the advice and well wishes! :smile:
  • kparks2
    kparks2 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I don't know if someone else posted this but I am due to get one out soon (got all 4 out and then this one I was told is sooooo far impacted it will never grow out...wrong!) so anywho I love snacking on greek yogurt or the dannon lights and they are somwhat healthy so I would say those also jello and there are small skinny cow ice creams. Plus I am sure a small amount of mashed potatoes home made without all the butter should be ok
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I was told not to even eat hot foods until 48 hours after the surgery to prevent bruising and swelling. It was ROUGH.

The person who suggested you get a plastic syringe is right. After you're fully clotted you can use the syringe to shoot trapped food out of the holes.

My wisdom teeth (3 months ago) were hell. I hope yours go without a fight. Ice like mad.