It's lunch time, I'm not at all hungry do I have to eat?

Options
Hiya everyone :smile: .
It's lunch time here in and I am not at all hungry, the thought of HAVING to eat something is turning my stomach! Do I have to eat, is it better to eat even when you are not hungry to make sure you have meals. I will probably be having a late lunch/early dinner about 4pm before my college class tonight then a healthy snack once I get home.

I have a decent and filling breakfast, will probably have a piece of fruit sometime between now and my late lunch/early dinner.

Replies

• rc630
    rc630 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    As long as you are getting in your macronutrient needs over the course of a day (or over the week) then it doesn't matter when you eat. If by the end of the day, you are still really low on meeting your calorie goal, try to throw in something higher-calorie with dinner or a late snack to bring you closer to your goal, such as some olive oil in your cooking, or even a treat if you'd prefer.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    As long as you get your calories in for the day, you can eat them whenever you want. If you are feeling sick - like you might be getting the flu - skipping a meal or two won't hurt either.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    No! Eat when you are hungry.
  • Purple_Orchid_87
    Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    personally, i would wait a wee while and maybe have something small to snack on in maybe an hr or so - my desk has a few boxes of sun-maid raisins - great wee snacks if im either really busy, or not really hungry

I find if I force myself, I end up making myself sick, but i'd try to have something small in a while - if you really arent hungry, sometimes flavoured waters, No Added Sugar, can be good to give your stomach something to 'play with'

it's very warm here in Belfast today, and its making me not want to eat much - plus i had a brad breakfast, plus chocolate, so yup, NAS squash for me for lunch :)
  • EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    My first question was going to be did you eat breakfast - and it appears you did! :-D

I wouldnt worry if you're not hungry. At weekends when I have time I always have a large breakfast then skip lunch. So long as you're not starving yourself and snack if you do get hungry this afternoon then dont force feed yourself. x
  • shannonbillows
    shannonbillows Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Short answer, No

depends very much on your goals, if you trying to lose fat, eat less and move more :P
  • jrodx2
    jrodx2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat it now. I would save it and wait until I was hungrier later in the day. Maybe wait a few hours and see how you feel. As others have said, as long as you are still reaching your numbers at the end of the day, you'll be fine.

--
    Follow my FB Fitness Page!
    Be stronger than your excuses: Recipes and inspiration for a healthier life
    www.facebook.com/excusesareeasy
  • Flabberella
    Options
    personally, i would wait a wee while and maybe have something small to snack on in maybe an hr or so - my desk has a few boxes of sun-maid raisins - great wee snacks if im either really busy, or not really hungry

I find if I force myself, I end up making myself sick, but i'd try to have something small in a while - if you really arent hungry, sometimes flavoured waters, No Added Sugar, can be good to give your stomach something to 'play with'

it's very warm here in Belfast today, and its making me not want to eat much - plus i had a brad breakfast, plus chocolate, so yup, NAS squash for me for lunch :)

It is very sunny and warm here also (in Grimsby uk) I have been drinking much more water than usual and I suppose this will be filling my stomach a bit.

Thank you everyone, I don't have the flu or a cold starting as I feel fine otherwise I think it was more the thought of having to 'force feed' myself that was turning my stomach :embarassed:
    I've done lots of extra exercise this morning as well and will get in a decent bike ride before and after college so I will have extra calories to eat later. I might have something naughty for a snack after college then to help me increase my calorie intake.

Thank you all :happy: