Nuts about nuts but now, maybe not?? Help!

Options
So I have always heard about how good nuts are for you and my fiance just happens to be a pecan farmer so I have access to and eat a lot of nuts! I love them but did not realize they have SO MANY calories! Can anyone straighten me out about the truth about nuts, are they really that good (or bad) for me? Do I need to cut back big time due to the caloric levels? I have now noticed that there are 840 calories/cup of pecans - I was easily eating a cup a day! This realization is slightly tragic but I will survive because I am determined to becoming more healthy! Any help or resources are appreciated!

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    A cup of nuts is a lot. Maybe eat 1/4 cup and a small apple.
  • prowe80
    prowe80 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I would like to know the same thing! and what about chocolate?
  • paj315
    paj315 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    When I eat nuts (which is daily!!) I measure them by weight usually because they are SO high in fat and calories! The fats in them ARE good for you fats though! So if you need something to up your calories, go for it! Just be sure to measure them carefully! I am all about not depriving myself of things that I love even when trying to lose weight, so I say if you, love them then you need to work nuts into your diet!
  • mamabear272
    mamabear272 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Nuts should be for a snack. Pair 1/4 cup of them with a fruit or veggie for a healthy, filling snack. Nuts are very good for you. You're getting a lot of fat and calories, but they have healthy fats in them. They're natural and have a lot of protein in them. You pair them with a fruit or veggie and it's the perfect snack. You get protein from the nuts and fiber from the fruit/veggie and they'll keep you full long enough to get you to the next meal.
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Nuts are very good for you. Like everything else: in moderation. A small serving is what you need. 1 ounce is enough. 1 cup can feed your whole family.

Chocolate is also good for you-specifically dark chocolate-60% cacao or darker. 1 ounce per day is healthy. that' about 1 square. Not a whole chocolate bar.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    It's so hard to limit the amount of nuts you eat. They are so delicious and so calorie dense. I have successfully kept some almonds in my desk and counted out my serving size over the last couple of weeks. IF you can control your portion size, they are wonderfully healthy.
  • wwk10
    wwk10 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Nuts are good for you, but they are off limits for me.
    I can easily eat a jar of peanuts in 15 minutes.
    The same is true for pecans, cashwes, almonds etc.

And boiled peanuts? Is 2 lbs a lot?

Love nuts, but have to stay away.
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I eat nuts every day but I portion them out and keep little snack baggies of them. 24 almonds, 12 walnut halves, or 40 pistachios.